Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzz in DCU

Options
  • 18-11-2009 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi guys,

As part of our brand management project in our Marketing Masters in DCU we have made a promotional buzz video on the marketing course in DCU on youtube.

Could u please take one minute to check it out?! We hope you like it!
    Clicks help our grade and comments are much appreciated. Thanks all :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AfyEdgGrl0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

First off, you're linking a youtube video via a facebook link.

Better to know the medium you're using...

Personally I think it's pretty weak, looks like something secondary students could whip up.

What was the brief for the project. I don't really see how Marketing Innovation comes across.

Yeah it's too simple and is part of the reason why I believe a masters would be a waste of time.

There is also nothing to do with marketing innovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MrLuke

I'd have to agree with the previous posters.

I've done a marketing under grad degree and masters in WIT. While I dont doubt Global Marketing and Sports Marketing modules would be tougher at the masters level, they are part of the 4th year undergrad degree in WIT. And I don't mean to put a halo around WIT as some amazing institution, it has plenty of faults. But if I had just completed a Marketing Degree in WIT I don't think I'd consider DCU based on that video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 eiresarah

Hi jthank you for your feedback, I would just like to address some things in response to somethings you have said-

We have this video on youtube so that is our emergent medium. The link I used when posting it to this page had come from when it was played off my facebook that is all. We are promoting it on facebook and other social media and wanted to keep it short and sweet and our lecturer gave us positive feedback on this point.

This video was not done by the course as a whole, we are just one group that did one video. We are not technologically trained, we were given the opportunity to borrow a camcorder but that was it - we were given no financial resources or technical support therefore I think we have done well overall.

In relation to the 'innovation' issue you had - we used this heading solely as a tool for search engine optimization as the headings do not have to be what the video is about and keywords are being used here to increase it coming up in a search. We feel 'innovation' served as a good tag.

We did say the modules ranged FROM Global TO Sports Marketing so there is obvious scope here- perhaps for further search of the course modules by the audience on the website we directed them to if they are interested.

The reason why we chose to focus on modules such as these as examples to our target was mainly due to the fact that they are the main reasons we ourselves found ourselves attracted to the course - we all liked global marketing at undergrad level and also the sports marketing modules was very new and exciting to us. We used these as a selling point because it's what had clearly worked on us! Also, the video works towards directing them to the website and this has allowed for further information on further modules.

The link with Illinois was also a key driver in us choosing this masters and it offers a great differentiating point for this DCU masters against others. I think that the video showed it in a very 'cool' way that would connect with the target (final year undergrads) as something prestegious (Top advertising university yet fun images to show fun/cool side)

DCU's reputation and links with major companies and the high job placement rate, we thought, was a unique selling point for us to use as big names / prestigious companies continually hire our graduates. Also, in these harsh economic times, more and more graduates are being encouraged to do postgrads as the job prospect just aren't there right now. We also thought that as you are finishing your undergrad - you are ambitious, you want to work for the best and this type of employment orientated message we think was needed to show that DCU has got this.

I hope this has cleared away some of your arguments against the video.

Thank you for your time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 PHONiC.ie

The imagery used is quite bad to be honest, and there isnt much "buzz" to a video promoting buzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nuttlys

I'm a recent grad from this MBS course and I have to agree that this video lacked any 'buzz' factor. The viral video project was new to the brand management course last year but obviously the same methods of throwing students into the deep end without any advice still apply.

This could be a great aspect of the course if it was taught properly but it is ironic that a project aimed at positively promoting the MBS programme is actually doing the opposite on this forum. You should bring this up with your brand management lecturer for review.

Students if you want to learn about buzz marketing I suggesting reading Buzzmarketing: Get People to Talk About Your Stuff by Mark Hughes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Was this supposed to be viral?

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Am I right in thinking that the guy who's pretending to get into the BMW is also the same guy who ends up hiring a DCU student?

Advertisement