Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware O2 overcharging by €200

• 18-11-2009 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

O2 overcharged me by €200 in July, and still haven't refunded me even though I have given them months.

Keeping it as brief as possible, O2 staff told me that on my price plan, calling China costs 5 cents a minute. In fact, that information later turned out to be incorrect, and the rate is not 5 cent a minute but €3.24 a minute instead.

O2 have now told me that the information given by their staff is only correct "most of the time" and that if their employees give out wrong information, though luck, the customer is always wrong and O2 don't care. Basically, O2 won't stand behind what they tell you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Find this hard to believe tbh,its 5c to ring china on prepay, 3.24 on bill, yeah its a massive difference but nobody in customer care would tell you tough luck with this issue, was it shop staff? did you speak with a supervisor? its an issue that should and could be resolved in minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭neil_purdy

If i was told that it cost 5c to call China on a mobile i would be re-checking that information... Thats a mad price!!

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

krudler wrote: »
    Find this hard to believe tbh,its 5c to ring china on prepay, 3.24 on bill, yeah its a massive difference but nobody in customer care would tell you tough luck with this issue, was it shop staff? did you speak with a supervisor? its an issue that should and could be resolved in minutes

I found it hard to believe as well, but after a few months I am starting to believe it. :eek:

To be honest, especially as I have worked for customer service in the past in all levels including management, I am shocked about how O2 don't even seem to be able to resolve a simple issue like this in a timely manner. Only God knows how they'd be able to resolve a more complex issue...

neil_purdy wrote: »
    If i was told that it cost 5c to call China on a mobile i would be re-checking that information... Thats a mad price!!

Actually, Vodafone charge 3 cent a minute and in the meantime O2 now have a promotion where calling China only costs 1 cent a minute, so it's not an unbelievable price at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

neil_purdy wrote: »

Meteor PAYG 3c per minute to China (Anytime International)

• Advertisement

As this matter still remains unresolved after giving O2 many months to resolve it, O2 promised me yesterday that a manager will call me first thing in the morning. I waited all day, but nobody called (this, I am afraid, comes as no surprise as it fits in with past experience), so I rang them at 5 PM today and they told me a manager will ring me tomorrow as all managers are currently in meetings.

By the way: the name of the Head of Customer Service at O2 Ireland is not personal information at all. He's on Wikipedia, other websites as well as being publicly named by O2 in press releases and on their website. If I had posted his email address or mobile number, which I did not and would not do, that could be considered personal information.

Since Boards.ie won't let me name him, if you want to find out his name just go here:
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/About+O2/Customer+commitment/Customer+Care+Awards

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JoeBaz

OP, a similar issue occurred to me almost a year ago with O2.
    Just to confirm, my issue was actual Roaming charges while in China.
    My company was supposed to setup a broadband connection for me while being in Beijing so I could use VOIP, but it took them 3 weeks to do this, so in the meantime I had to use my personal phone for personal & business calls.
    O2s Roaming rates for China are just over €3 a minute.
    I queried this with O2 before my trip to China and nobody could give me a definitive answer.
    Well I had a huge shock when I checked my bill online.
    It was well over €800 for 3 weeks of minimal use. I couldn't believe it.
    I contacted O2 customer care and eventually I was told that the €3 rate is best rate they could negotiate with the Chinese mobile providers.

As for your issue, it is a complete sham that they are trying to charge you that much to call China from Ireland, especially when their site says 5c a minute with "Speak Easy", so it's possible they have a glitch in their system that they are charging you a roaming rate.

I am currently out of contract with O2 at the moment and I'm trying to decide whether to Upgrade to a SE Satio and stay with them or switch to Meteor and get the HTC Hero. Any suggestions?

Best of luck with talking to "Management". I hope you're issue gets cleared up.

This matter has now been resolved.

Advertisement