Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strike next Tuesday

Options
  • 18-11-2009 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Does anyone know if the buses are affected by the strike next week?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 LEONKING

this strike is so stupid - the country is broke. civil servants will have to take a pay cut or else we have to keep borrowing to pay their excessive wages. i am an ex civil servant and can say honestly that there are many departments way over staffed, not prodcutive and seriously overpaid.

when are these ppl going to realise that they yes they are the country and the country is broke so its going to be tough couple of years now do your bit and get back to your job that you are lucky to have

p.s i know nothing about the buses - sorry

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

What about the social welfare office?Is that closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I honestly don't think the following are issues are in any way related to the current need to cut public service wages:
    - Exessive pay rates
    - Low productivity
    - Over staffing

Yes areas where these issues exist definitely need attention but is is a separate issue for now.

The simple fact of the matter is the country does not have enough money to pay the wage bill as it stands now. If the same number of people are to remain employed in the public sector then then amount of money each of them get has to be reduced.
    It has nothing to do with them being overpaid or underpaid or what cuts they have already had to endure.

I was looking at a financial statement of a company recently. The number of staff in 2007 & 2008 remained the same but the salaries & wages were 25% less, now that is the real world. The average salary was nothing to write home about either.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Have since phoned Bus Eireann and they are not on strike, I shouldn't think SW would be on strike either, best to call them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Oleander wrote: »
    Have since phoned Bus Eireann and they are not on strike, I shouldn't think SW would be on strike either, best to call them.

Ya I've rang them since and there on strike so anyone signing that day for there monthly sign on,the new date is 15th december.

• Advertisement

I honestly don't think the following are issues are in any way related to the current need to cut public service wages:
    - Exessive pay rates
    - Low productivity
    - Over staffing

Yes areas where these issues exist definitely need attention but is is a separate issue for now.

The simple fact of the matter is the country does not have enough money to pay the wage bill as it stands now. If the same number of people are to remain employed in the public sector then then amount of money each of them get has to be reduced.
    It has nothing to do with them being overpaid or underpaid or what cuts they have already had to endure.

I was looking at a financial statement of a company recently. The number of staff in 2007 & 2008 remained the same but the salaries & wages were 25% less, now that is the real world. The average salary was nothing to write home about either.

many of these departments are overstaffed from the boom times, overpaid from the boomtimes and under productive due to the fact they are now overpaid and overstaffed. if you have ppl simply turning up each day for a wage which i can assure you is a fact of life in some semi-states then of course these ppl are an unnessary burden to the tax payer now that the boom times have gone

civil servants pay should only be as good as the company can afford

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

Does anyone know whether the next suggested strike in the 3rd December would include teachers as well?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1124/partnership.html

Vivara.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Atlantic1

Vivara wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether the next suggested strike in the 3rd December would include teachers as well?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1124/partnership.html

Vivara.

I think it applies to the same workers who were on strike yesterday so yes, teachers will be on strike also if it goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

Atlantic1 wrote: »
    I think it applies to the same workers who were on strike yesterday so yes, teachers will be on strike also if it goes ahead.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 i55ed5

LEONKING wrote: »
    this strike is so stupid - the country is broke/

Yeah exactly the country is broke, THE COUNTRY so why should WE habe to take pay cuts for the mistakes they made.?? Nurses for example, work awful hours with a tiny wage which they now want to cut? How is that fair.? Their work is already under appreciated.!

I say, STRIKE ON 2kaii9 BAH

• Advertisement

i55ed5 wrote: »
    Yeah exactly the country is broke, THE COUNTRY so why should WE habe to take pay cuts for the mistakes they made.?? Nurses for example, work awful hours with a tiny wage which they now want to cut? How is that fair.? Their work is already under appreciated.!

I say, STRIKE ON 2kaii9 BAH

its unfortunat that you work for the government but if you worked for private company that was as broke as the government is right now you would be made redundant, put on a 3 day week or have to take a big cut. so stop holding ur broke employer to ransom for a situation they are in. looking to blame someone won't help

Advertisement