Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Well done Ireland.

• 18-11-2009 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Despite the result I'm extremely proud of the Irish team tonight, and through the whole campaign.

I believed tonight.

I still do.

Well played lads, we've come a long way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

+1

we 2nd seed now :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Couldn't agree more!

Edge of the seat stuff tonight. Trap has made good work of this team..

If Keane and Duff had of taken their chances we could well be celebrating into the night but unfortunately we will have to wait another 4 years!

Fair play to the lads though, poured their hearts out and gave it their all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

dreamers75 wrote: »
    +1

we 2nd seed now :cool:

Never get excited about Ireland you'll be dissapointed in the end. I've found that out the hard way over the years. And they always seem to leave to the last second to knock themselves out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

tdv wrote: »
    Never get excited about Ireland you'll be dissapointed in the end. I've found that out the hard way over the years. And they always seem to leave to the last second to knock themselves out.

You're no fan.

Ireland were wonderful, truly wonderful.

Fair play to Dunphy, he's right about everything.

There will be no justice, because Platini and Blatter have got their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Well done to the Lads.Heroic display but the words
    Epic Fail are banging around my brain.
    There'll be no buzz next summer :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

This is a good indication of how the team can play if they put their minds to it.

Brilliant performance. We made the French team resort to cheating.

Really proud of Ireland tonight.

Match thread locked already :eek: Must be a record !!

Well done Ireland. We can give the euros a right go now. Hope we draw France :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Devastated at the result. Unbelievable performance and I guess we get to empathise with the English about handballs. Nevertheless immense performance by each and every player.

But I have to single out one; Shay Given, my heart breaks for you. I had tears in my eyes seeing you go over to thank the Irish fans at the end. You deserve to play in every World Cup and every European Championships and I really don't think we'll fully appreciate you until you've hung up your boots. The word legend is used flippantly but Shay Given, you are an Irish football legend and you should be immensely proud of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Well id say we've made a few friends around the world tonight and showed what a team we can be.We play like that for even half of a qualifying campaign we'll be up there no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

After this relentless, continuous, heroic-against-all odds-performance?

Limited ability but unquestionable committment.

How can anyone give them a hard time or question them?

Yes, we had limited ability, but Feck me sideways, did they not do exactly what we've been crying out for years???

That is....

Put up a resistance, show a bit of strength, and basically give their all for 90 minutes and more?

I sleep well tonight, without succuming to that cliched bulll**** that we put in a good show just to stave off the neighbours.

I'm proud.

For the love of anything that you believe in whether it be Jesus, Allah or Avonmore Dairies, please just be glad that we did that, at least.

Would you rather be an England supporter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

They played magnificent tonight, if they can even attempt to replicate that kind of game play from now on they will go on to every major tournament easily.
    Once I saw Mcshane coming on though I was fearful, He has always been a bit of a liability and possibly could have done a bit more at the goal.
    Aside from that very proud of the boys in green, fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Well done lads! Poland Ukraine 2012 here we come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Utterly devasted tonight, utterly.

But tonight we saw what Trap built. A team, that worked 150% throughout the entire game, until the very end, who knew each others movements, who played a team in which individually pretty much every opposite player was their better, off the bloody park. That's what football is about and its how you win, and for the people who are going to come on and talk about Andy Reid and how he would have made blah blah blah blah, you haven't a clue about what it takes to win football matches, because what Trap has pulled off in 2 years after Staunton and Kerr is nothing short of incredible.

Outstanding achievement, outstanding campaign, and I fully, fully, expect us to qualify for the European Championships, and to do so playing good old fashioned hard working team football.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Those boys are heros for a little country we fight and battle cause where a proud nation...unlike those french who will resort to the lowest of the low....shay given,damien duff,richard dunne,Robbie,Kilbane i hope ye have one last hurray because ye deserve it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Crow71

Im so proud to be irish tonight, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Lets not deflect from the real issue here. Our best player was denied the right to play in the play offs and may never play for Ireland again. Yes hard luck to the lads but a moment for A Reid as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I'm very proud of the performance tonight, but it hardly changes the past. If we put these performances in on a regular basis I'm sure the criticism will stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Onwards and upwards! Looking forward to euro qualifiers already. We should be going into them confident. Well done to the lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

It will most certainly stop if the lads can play with that same passion and intensity every game.

If they play like that regularly we will be a very formidable side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

ill say myself well done to andrews and whealen tonight, they played their hearts out. They get alot of stick, but by jaysus, how is it there fault there picked, they have always done there best and were outstanding tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

well done lads, hold the heads high.

we scored a beautiful passing goal, and we lost to a handball and a deflected shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Crow71

All out war has broken out on boards tonight:D. I always wondered wat an internet riot would look like. Hard luck ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

If it's any consolation, and it's not really I know, over on the l'Equipe.fr forum the French are calling it a disgrace, Henry a cheat, they won with the assistance of the ref, Ireland showed far more class etc etc. Quite remarkable actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Lets not deflect from the real issue here. Our best player was denied the right to play in the play offs and may never play for Ireland again. Yes hard luck to the lads but a moment for A Reid as well.

Andy Reid? Our best player? Can I have some of what you've got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

For anyone that missed or wants to look at again the horrible torture that is the goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

A superb performance. In the 90 we beat the French. It was a superb achievement, and effectively our first major win on foreign soil in years, notwithstanding the eventual extra time result.

S.Given 8 Safe and Assured. Unlucky with the Gallas Goal
    J.OShea 8 Composed and assured
    K.Kilbane 7 One of his strongest perofrmances for years
    R.Dunne 9 Excellent
    S.St Ledger 7 Moulding into a fine player with an assured night
    L.Lawrence 7 Superb first half. Excellent pass to create the goal move
    K.Andrews 8 His finest hour. Lets see more !
    G.Whelan 7 Got involved and harried. He was missed
    D.Duff 8 Unleashed a fine performance, and gave Sagna a torrid time
    R.Keane 9 Great goal.A leaders performance
    K.Doyle 8 Come of age. Should be the focal point of the attack

P.McShane 6 Lapse for the goal. Decent otherwise
    D.Gibson 5 Not really in the game
    A.McGeady 5 Lots of development yet to do.

kraggy wrote: »

If you are English, probably !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yes we played well tonight and they did themselves proud.

Everyone except paul mcshane. I was screaming at the telly the minute he let that ball bounce.

He came off the bench to completely unravel all the hard work done.

Im not blaming Henry.....hes going to Africa, as if he gives a ****, I'm looking at McShane, consistently making errors that cost us, im actuallly infuriated at him.

Logging off before i get a ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Jesus bloody christ. Andrews and Whelen played their hearts out for Ireland, have given everything throughout this entire campaign, and utterly dominated the French midfield tonight. Show some bloody respect for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Firstly, the lads can be proud of their performance.

Secondly, one can say whatever about cheating or thieving, but the fact is that we had our chances to win this game and didn't take them. Souness was spot on, what Henry did was done on instinct, he chanced his arm and alot of footballers would have done the same. It's up to the ref to spot that.

Thirdly, losing O'Shea was the end of it, McShane was just a liability to almost embarassing levels.

I said they did well. But again the Reid issue is an embarrassment. He is playing at the top of his game week in week out in the Premiership. He was not even on the bench tonight. You tell me if that is respect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

I'm proud to be Irish tonight and not French (cheating).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Irish team said to be distraught in the dressing room. Hope they know how proud the country is of their efforts.

Chin up, lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

After tonight's performance I remembered this

When can their glory fade?
    O the wild charge they made!
    All the world wondered.
    Honor the charge they made,
    Honor the Light Brigade,
    Noble six hundred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

According to Hurley on RTE,

The Irish team and distraught and are refusing to be interviewed, If you think the lad's on here are mental after the game, can you imagine the dressing room in France!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

After this relentless, continuous, heroic-against-all odds-performance?

Limited ability but unquestionable committment.

How can anyone give them a hard time or question them?

Yes, we had limited ability, but Feck me sideways, did they not do exactly what we've been crying out for years???

That is....

Put up a resistance, show a bit of strength, and basically give their all for 90 minutes and more?

I sleep well tonight, without succuming to that cliched bulll**** that we put in a good show just to stave off the neighbours.

I'm proud.

For the love of anything that you believe in whether it be Jesus, Allah or Avonmore Dairies, please just be glad that we did that, at least.

It's very easy to say all this now and I bet you weren't predicting this result before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

Bill just said the lads are distraught in the dressing room and there may not be an interview. Understandable tbh.

Would love to let them know how proud we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

He (A Reid) needs to learn about respect!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Simply gutted, never thought we had a performance like that in us. To go out like that is simply unbelievable. The best team doesn't always win, that's sport. That is why we love it, hate it, love it, hate it...... Well done the boys, best performance in over 4 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

TheDoc wrote: »

Everyone except paul mcshane. I was screaming at the telly the minute he let that ball bounce.

He came off the bench to completely unravel all the hard work done.

Im not blaming Henry.....hes going to Africa, as if he gives a ****, I'm looking at McShane, consistently making errors that cost us, im actuallly infuriated at him.

I fealt the exact same seing him come off the bench. i would rathe see anyone else playing right back hunt, best,Kelly even McGeady.

The guy gives it his all but he is ultimately a loose cannon ready to make a mistake at any moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

If only.......

A great performance by us tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Possibly the best performnace in 20 odd years. The should all be proud and hold their heads high. Disgraceful decision (let side to start let alone the hand balls).

However they had the chances and should have taken then in 90mins so cant have too many complaints

If at the start of this campaign we were told we were this close to getting their many of the people posting here (check they did) would have laughed.

Fair play to the team and coaching squad.

efb wrote: »
    He (A Reid) needs to learn about respect!
    As A Reid said himself recently he is not a politician. Doesn't need to apologize for something he feels he did not do. His football does the talking. But we will resume this discussion for another day. Hard luck to the lads tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

was a greaty game and the best irish game in a long time,we where cheated by the hand ball by you know who,
    getting tired of hearing about reid ,hes not on team and doesnt look like he will ever,so get over it, humpty dumpty ever second word out of his mouth is about reid,aint happening,im more brown about mr ireland not wanting too paly only too give a lame excuse not too

was a great game and proud irsih despite the result

lets look forward to euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Finest performance I've seen from Ireland ever.

I'm finding it hard to stomach at the moment.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

The team were fantastic tonight, pity they didnt put their chances away, lots of if onlys but they can be proud of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

so come here, who won the match lads?....

only joking, jaysus, absolutely fantastic game played out there, heartbreaking we didnt go through, every single player deserves full credit for that performance..still we took the game to france every step of the way. whatever diarra's words that were said last time round have been well and truely eaten after that game.

so many positives to take from the game, focus on those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Lads, tbh the over-reacting to Henry is ridiculous, dont blame him, blame the officials for the oversight. How many times did Keane handball tonight, what 3 or 4 but the difference is the officials spotted it. To be calling Henry a thief is way OTT. He fouled, he knows it, is he sorry - probably but is he happy France qualified - damn right he is.

I am so sick now as we were the better team and to go out on a fouled goal makes it even worse. Aargh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

OK, I know you are fairly pissed off with what just happened as am I.

But WTF is the need for this sort of comment?

was a great game and the best irish game in a long time,we were cheated by the hand ball by you know who.
    Getting tired of hearing about reid ,hes not on team and doesnt look like he will ever,so get over it, humpty dumpty ever second word out of his mouth is about reid,aint happening. I'm more brown about Mr Ireland not wanting to play only to give a lame excuse not to. Was a great game and proud to be Irish despite the result, lets look forward to euros.

• Advertisement
Advertisement