Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Video Technology

• 18-11-2009 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭

Like I said in the match thread, Ireland may have just brought video technology into the modern game. This simply cannot be ignored, and this incident will rightly get the coverage it deserves. A World. Cup. Spot.

We were possibly denied the chance to play in the greatest tournament in the world tonight by cheating, a handball, the offside, and FIFA seriously need to get their ****ing act together.

We may have finally triggered it, and we might finally see this type of technology in football.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    We may have finally triggered it, and we might finally see this type of technology in football.
    I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Still wouldn't even want video technology, itd ruin the game. Gutted about the decision, and Henry is a cheat, but wouldn't change a thing as regards video technology.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Platini will never allow it aslong as he's in charge!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

In American football they have time-outs, we don't want that
    But you can also throw a challenge flag.

If you challenge a decision and it's decided the decison was correct you lose a challenge. You can only do this twice a game.
    If you get two decisions overturned you get an extra challenge.

Controvertible decisions in the last two minutes are automatically reviewed by the video refs.

See, soccer doesn't have to be stop-start with video technology. It can be done easily.
    Takes no more then a minute or two to view the replays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I doubt it.
    Well, if it isn't at least considered its a travesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

DSB wrote: »
    Still wouldn't even want video technology, itd ruin the game. Gutted about the decision, and Henry is a cheat, but wouldn't change a thing as regards video technology.

Wtf. Of course it would change. It would be disallowed and justice would be done.
    The time we spent complaning could have been taken up at video ref. The time it took would be the same.
    It's an absolute no brainer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

FIFA seeded for a reason..

That reason was to get France,Portugal,Russia and Greece through to up the revenue on broadcasting....

3 out of 4 got through, be it a tip of the hand and into the net or not they wont say one word about the match and/or bring in video technology that will take money out of their pockets when they are trying to put more in....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Don't need video tech, sure that decision wouldn't have even been influenced with it, its only for goal's whether the ball is over the line or not, not to watch every free that can possibly happen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

With my calm cap on, I have been pro-video replays since I can remember. Let a manager have one use each for a decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I have never felt so sick watching a football game and I wouldn't want any fan to go through that.

Bring on technology and save our sport.

• Advertisement

43722766.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1258585753&Signature=OI8tPSF8WHgFHxjCtg0lw42Updk%3D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

cooker3 wrote: »
    Wtf. Of course it would change. It would be disallowed and justice would be done.
    The time we spent complaning could have been taken up at video ref. The time it took would be the same.
    It's an absolute no brainer

I meant I wouldn't change a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Video Technology will NOT be bought in by FIFA, unless they are made to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Lads how about a challange thing like they have in tennis say 3 a game where the captain or manager and only them can approach the ref for a review, it takes a few seconds in tennis to do???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fifa would find it harder to be corrupt if VT was introduced.

Lads how about a challange thing like they have in tennis say 3 a game where the captain or manager and only them can approach the ref for a review, it takes a few seconds in tennis to do???

That's cause tennis has 1 fault was the ball in or out? Where as football you have so many, was he offside, was it hand ball, was it a foul, was the ball over the line etc. Just not plausable.

43722766.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1258585753&Signature=OI8tPSF8WHgFHxjCtg0lw42Updk%3D
    He hand balled not once, but TWICE and still got away with it.

IT CLEARS SHOWS THAT THAT FRANCE WERE OFFSIDE !!!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Like I said in the match thread, Ireland may have just brought video technology into the modern game. This simply cannot be ignored, and this incident will rightly get the coverage it deserves. A World. Cup. Spot.

We were possibly denied the chance to play in the greatest tournament in the world tonight by cheating, a handball, the offside, and FIFA seriously need to get their ****ing act together.

You are looking at this through irish eyes. no once else will give a sh!t, once a couple of days passes this will be just a footnote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

video technology. why ****in bother damage is done

It dosn't clearly show that France were offside. It shows him the other side of McShane but their could be about 5 players standing on the line. The pic does not show he is offside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Video technology will be discussed for the next two weeks.

Platini will come out and say "No".

It will be forgotten about again until another team is robbed.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    You are looking at this through irish eyes. no once else will give a sh!t, once a couple of days passes this will be just a footnote.
    I wouldn't say that, from what I've read around the web so far from most (high profile football bloggers, etc.) this won't be forgotten about anytime soon.

It'll be the world vs France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

No need for it to waste any time, to start with they could just use it if a goal is scored, they would have plenty of time to make a decision before the ball is kicked off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I wouldn't say that, from what I've read around the web so far from most (high profile football bloggers, etc.) this won't be forgotten about anytime soon.

It'll be the world vs France

Thats today and tomorrow. League football takes over at the weekend and then thats it. Everything moves on. I would be very surprised at anything different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

UEFA cup matches this season already have a "refs" on either goal as a trial.

That would have solved that.
    Two assistant referees and fourth official will be supplemented with two additional assistant referees who will take up positions alongside each goal.

"In essence," a joint statement by world football body FIFA and UEFA said on Friday, "the additional assistant referees will provide two extra pairs of eyes to monitor the game and ensure that the Laws of the Game are upheld, informing the referee of incidents of any kind that he may otherwise have missed, particularly in key areas of the field like the penalty area and its surroundings. The referee will remain in sole charge of the match and the only match official with decision-making powers."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The ironic thing is that Platini's 5th. Official would have spotted it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

FutureGuy wrote: »
    With my calm cap on, I have been pro-video replays since I can remember. Let a manager have one use each for a decision.

its a travesty that such a goal, with no less than 3 infringements can be allowed

Ireland should press FIFA for a replay or boycott the next EC.

frankly, its just a joke

Fifa would find it harder to be corrupt if VT was introduced.

Thay would find a way to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Have 2/3 officials watching on screens, they see anything untoward they can get into the ref's ear straightaway. Ref and linesman can communicate, why not someone who could have a much better view of the match?

If it happened the oppostite way around, video technology would be considered almost immediately. It shouldn't be ignored for us too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

Yes the lack of a video referee that cost us.Sure Henry handled the ball but it happens in a split second and its a reaction the majoirty of players would have id think. Look at the kind of stuff that goes on in Rugby Union games from eye gauging to faking injury with fake blood capsules ..... I know Henry was wrong but Fifa need to get there act together and aid the officials who have been struggling for a long time now. This was a major major decision tonight that cost Ireland ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

No to Video Technology in Football. It will ruin the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Walsh wrote: »

How?

So people like Henry can handball and knock a country out of the World Cup?
    So people like Eduardo can secure a peno and potentially knock a club out of the Champions League?

Get out of that garden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

For those saying it would take too long... in the time France were celebrating their cheated goal, the 4th official would have reviewed it. Us watching it on TV knew it after a few seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Frisbee wrote: »
    How?

So people like Henry can handball and knock a country out of the World Cup?
    So people like Eduardo can secure a peno and potentially knock a club out of the Champions League?

Get out of that garden

So lower league teams can't get fcuked over. How are we of benifit of Video Technology?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I doubt it.

why

same question - why/how
    Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Don't need video tech, sure that decision wouldn't have even been influenced with it, its only for goal's whether the ball is over the line or not, not to watch every free that can possibly happen.

But then its not fair why not have rules if they are not going to be enforced?
    Iang87 wrote: »
    video technology. why ****in bother damage is done

because "all this has happened before, and will happen again"

- sorry couldn't resist

Ireland should press FIFA for a replay or boycott the next EC.

frankly, its just a joke

Ye it would be great if everyone would agree to that but people dont stay pissed off for that long - its a great idea and i would be well up for it
    amacachi wrote: »
    Have 2/3 officials watching on screens, they see anything untoward they can get into the ref's ear straightaway. Ref and linesman can communicate, why not someone who could have a much better view of the match?

Better to have 6 or 7 and your right the game could be stopped almost instantly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Purists argue the rationalle for not bringing in any video technology is grounded in the notion that no matter where a game of football is played, everything remains constant. So, for example, your typical Sunday League match down in your local park has the exact same officiating as the World Cup Final. Granted, standards may vary, but structures remain the same.

I disagree strongly with this as I believe it to be antiquated (and in many respects permitting the tail to wag the dog) but that is the argument and logic Platini et al will cite to prohibit any introduction of video technology.

Again to reitorate - this is NOT my opinion, I am just offering what the other side will say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I used to be moderately in favour of introducing technology. Say 60-70% in favour. Now I'm 100% behind it. In fact I think this might be the only way to drag this sport out of the gutter and back to respectability.

It's clear from the comments from the players tonight, and from messages on this forum, that there is almost an acceptance that cheating is now a part of the game and that it's bound to happen at some point. This is very troubling for the future of the game.

Bring in technology and expose the truth about what happens on the pitch. I really think it would create a more honest atmosphere in the game. As a casual fan of rugby I must say I'm impressed with how they utilise it and don't feel it takes away from the drama on the pitch. In fact it's dramatic waiting to see what actually happened on the replay.

We need to take football away from the dinosaurs and into the 21st century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Neil3030 wrote: »
    So, for example, your typical Sunday League match down in your local park has the exact same officiating as the World Cup Final. Granted, standards may vary, but structures remain the same.

Wrong.

Sunday League. 1 ref. Linesman from crowd/each side whatever.
    World Cup Final. 1 ref. 2 assistant refs. 4th official.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

If ever a sport needed video technology its soccer.
    Its one of the lowest scoring mainstream sports I can think of.
    One goal can be the sole score in a match .
    The margin for error in the score is huge ,absolutely huge.
    The power of the referee in football is enormous,he can single handedly decide a match.
    In other higher scoring sports its more difficult for a referee/umpire to influence a match.
    Soccer is living in the dark ages,it needs to bring in video technology for major goal scoring incidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Purists argue the rationalle for not bringing in any video technology is grounded in the notion that no matter where a game of football is played, everything remains constant. So, for example, your typical Sunday League match down in your local park has the exact same officiating as the World Cup Final. Granted, standards may vary, but structures remain the same.

I disagree strongly with this as I believe it to be antiquated (and in many respects permitting the tail to wag the dog) but that is the argument and logic Platini et al will cite to prohibit any introduction of video technology.

Again to reitorate - this is NOT my opinion, I am just offering what the other side will say.

In that case get rid of linesman and a 4th official. Sunday leagues games only have people from respective teams on the line and they are only used in throws in not offsides or anything else and if Platini disagrees then I will just point out how the Uefa cup is officiated this year which I believe was his decision. You can can also ditch the multiball system. That's an unfair advantage for top games to run quicker.

It's such a nonsense argument. We can improve an massive aspect of the game but unless everyone has it it doesn't happen. No, it's better that some matches have it then none at all!

Does anyone who claims "it will ruin football" actually have an argument for why other then "tradition"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

fifa will deny it, but video replays were used to send zidane off in the last world cup final, none of the officials saw it live, but on the replay on the stadium screen. hence it took them ages to send him off for basic assault!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

the fai should follow fifa up on this big time. They can change the rules at the drop of a hat and with this absolutly blatant hand ball, it is the best evidence yet to bring in a video ref.

I honestly dont understand people saying it will ruin the game. Everybody everywhere that follows the professional game has fallen foul of the lack of a video ref and although it removes the human error aspect, that has been removed since sky coverage. They catch every detail.

On another small note. It was a replay on the screen that one of the linesmen saw that got zidane sent off in the last world cup. It has been used before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

fifa will deny it, but video replays were used to send zidane off in the last world cup final, none of the officials saw it live, but on the replay on the stadium screen. hence it took them ages to send him off for basic assault!!
    Damn, i never read your reply and repeated what you said, sorry bout that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

There is no good reason not to use VT in game changing situations.

Look at last nights game - there would have been no more time spent looking at a replay than was spent on the French celebrating their successful cheating and Ireland protesting against it. In fact, it probably would have been over with quicker.

As for not having VT at lower levels of the game, so what? Really, that isn't a good reason not to have it where possible. Have it at the biggest stages - all Prem games, all Europa/Champions League ties etc. A condition of entry to these levels of competition already include regulations regarding stadium quality - so an extra one stating that there must be provisions for VT is not unreasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

It baffles me why there is even a debate going on about the use of VT in a soccer game (especially a game of last night significance)

I am 100% for VT ..NO BELL NO WHISTLES ! ...
    No fixed number of times a manager can challenge a decision.
    If there is a sniff of doubt call the Video Ref (full stop)

Look if its a Goal Its a Goal , it would have taken no more than 2mins to find out last nights travesty .
    The majority of similar "disputed" decisions (penalties, offsides etc) could also be resolved in little or no time.
    (E.G) How many times have you seen a player been called offside , doubted it yourself , yet in 30secs flat SKY show you a reply , and confirmed to you with no doubt , the facts.

As for it been abused and taken the flow out of the game ?.. Bol**x !

Look last nights Ref to me had one of the best games I have seen a Ref have in a longtime .
    Thierry's handball (double handball) happened in mil seconds , the Refs line of sight and that of his assistance is up for debate , BUT , you tell me a job out there today were you can be fantastic for 115minutes , then in a mil second make a wrong decision that will cost a Football Fed over 20million , not to mention the lost revenue to country that really needs its people to go out and spend this summer!

Why Oh Why ? do FIFA allow this to happen ? let a Ref take flack ? , and dont have another Ref on a screen watching for cheats etc .

The "flow of the game" would be improved to me , the same named cheaters would think twice of making that dive in the box , knowing the vid Ref is watching , theres one improvment already !

If Thierry's hand was "Unintentional" as he says , then fine .
    The Vid Ref would have decided for him .

BRING V.T IN NOW !

LET IRELAND (F.A.I) BE THE LEADERS OF THIS CHANGE AND NOT TOW THE PLATINI LINE .

My 2 pence worth.
    M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

People complain it will slow down the game but aren't players rolling around feigning injury already slowing the game ??
    Bring it in I'd rather have a slow fair game then a fast corrupt one anyday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

FIFA go to such strong lenghts to promote FAIR PLAY.............I'm sorry FIFA but there is absolutely nothing fair about last night

Video technology is a necessity in the modern game........only then will it be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭secman

Anyone get an e-mail address for FIFA or better still the Plank Blatter and we will bombard them with complaints, I'm sure other countries will row in too.
    John Delaney unfortunately is in FIFA's pocket so we cannot rely on him in this instance.

Secman

• Advertisement
Advertisement