Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petition to FIFA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Seriously? What the hell is this gonna do? French are goin to South Africa, we aren't, you'll be over it in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

As I said, Petitions only work when they are SUPPORTED. I don't see how writing out a reply for 2 minutes on why you don't want to sign a petition when it shall achieve nothing whatsoever.
    If you sign the petition, It may work with alot of support, If not then you have lost nothing. Seriously, support it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

partyatmygaff, you said not all online petitions fail.

Can you back this up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Anyone who is not interested in supporting the petition can leave this thread, I fully see how doing nothing will achieve something :rolleyes: Doing something no matter how small can achieve great things. I can't see how complaining about petitions is going to achieve ANYTHING. If this petition fails to achieve anything (Which it may if some people continue to act like they are now) then so be it, atleast you tried. It takes 5 seconds to sign the petition and it takes a minute to reply to this thread with a pessimistic comment that achieves nothing.

Seriously, we need to increase the acceleration of this petition as soon as possible. If everyone puts in their full support and tells everyone of the petition we WILL achieve something.

itll achieve nothing

the exact same as ill achieve from sitting here doing nothing

what do you propose fifa do? change the result or announce a playoff based on, and ive bolded this for effect, the opinions of some people on the internet with nothing better to do than put their names on a petition that took someone about 3 seconds to create

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

There is zero precedent for this. In fact football would be a mockery if we started replaying games if decisions were wrong. It'd be stupid beyond belief.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    partyatmygaff, you said not all online petitions fail.

Can you back this up?
    This is no debate, I have no time nor need to back anything up. I have a cause and we need support for it.
    I am not looking to prove anything to you and if you want to Rant and Rave about petitions go ahead in the ranting and raving forum. If you want to TRY and help please go ahead and Sign and Spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Slash/ED wrote: »
    There is zero precedent for this. In fact football would be a mockery if we started replaying games if decisions were wrong. It'd be stupid beyond belief.

That's why we should have video reffing!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    That's why we should have video reffing!

Could be, but I'd actually sign a petition against this if it was a possibility. Can you imagine the state that football would be left in if this actually happened!?

so lets say this petition works and ireland get to replay the game... does this mean that

birmingham replay liverpool after ngogs dive?
    milan replay liverpool for the 2005 champions league after gerrards dive?
    england replay argentina in the 1986 world cup semi finals because of maradonnas hand ball?
    spurs get to replay united after the goal that never was from mendez?

do we keep going? or does the replay only actually matter to this one game, with any mistakes in any others being pretty irrelevant?

if youre suggesting replaying games because of errors from the officials, then youre looking at multi year seasons just to get all the replays out of the way

if youre suggesting only replaying games with BIG errors, then what do you define as a big error? the handball in the leadup to a goal, or the fact that a bloke was trippled 15 minutes beforehand and didnt get a free, which ultimately lead to the passage of play where the unspotted offence occurred?

or again is this just relevant to the irish game, and you reckon that every other team whove ever been on the wrong end of a bad reffing decision will have no bother accepting that the irish can get a replay just by signing an online petition?

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    itll achieve nothing

the exact same as ill achieve from sitting here doing nothing

what do you propose fifa do? change the result or announce a playoff based on, and ive bolded this for effect, the opinions of some people on the internet with nothing better to do than put their names on a petition that took someone about 3 seconds to create
    Opinions of "some people on the internet"....
    Yeah I don't think its "some people on the internet", Every single person seen the foul. FIFA don't have to change the result, they can replay the match or at the very least find some way to prevent it reoccuring.
    You MAY achieve something from this petition, your posts however achieve nothing.

I urge everyone else to sign and spread, we need to up the acceleration of signatures to get to a sizeable number!

You MAY achieve something from this petition, your posts however achieve nothing.

I urge everyone else to sign and spread, we need to up the acceleration of signatures to get to a sizeable number!

lets be honest, the only reason youre doing this is coz you wanna be "the bloke who started the petition that changed the footballing world forever"

lets be honest, the only reason youre doing this is coz you wanna be "the bloke who started the petition that changed the footballing world forever"
    No its not, and with this last post of yours I have definitley lost my patience.
    I have my name as anonymous on the petition, I don't want to be known as anything. I want justice for my nations team.

I won't be replying to any further pessimistic posts so please go vent your "frustration at online petitions" somewhere else.

For all else supporting this we SPREAD, SPREAD, SPREAD

Why do you assume people want to support your utterly insane proposition? Think about what you want happening would actually mean for football ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,511 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im sure all official channels will be exhausted. Frankly though I dont see public petition being one such avenue: Surely every country does something similar; and population this population that.

The better question is can you recall a precedent from previous era's where a game result was overturned in any similar situation?

I would tell you on any other day though, the greatest, most dramatic (and frequently upsetting) thing about Soccer is that its the last great sport that has not succumb to instant replays and Second-Guessing. The amount of times I've watched great NFL plays get overturned by referees after 10 minutes of committee deliberation over some obscure camera footage - Thats enough to drive you mad (Especially with all the fuppin commercials while they do it!!!). I'm actually grateful Soccer is still a Sport, played like a Sport.

I feel you though. We'll have to see how it plays out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Do you not remember the Arsenal/ Sheffield United Fa cup game from a few years back. I know it was Arsenal themselves who agreed to replay the game, but dont say it never happens cos it has.

I know it wont make a difference in this case and France are going to South Africa, just making a point

• Advertisement

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Do you not remember the Arsenal/ Sheffield United Fa cup game from a few years back. I know it was Arsenal themselves who agreed to replay the game, but dont say it never happens cos it has.

unless that arsenal game was replayed because of an online petition (which it wasnt) then he is correct in saying that an online petition has never lead to a replayed match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

unless that arsenal game was replayed because of an online petition (which it wasnt) then he is correct in saying that an online petition has never lead to a replayed match

I was responding to the general idea of a precedent of a game being replayed due to an injustice. Nothing to do with the online petition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Things become official by massive almost viral spreading. There is no official petition as of yet, this should be it!

If we get a million signatures throughout the world(I would easily say more than a million are angry about this) then FIFA will HAVE to respond in some way or form.

No, they won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

A replay is the minimum FIFA should offer the Irish Football team as a consequence of their incompetence.

That was my comment on the petition. There's no way FIFA can distance themselves from blame by focusing all wrongdiongs on the match officials. They decide the rules, they hire the officials. They are the ones accountable for this injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

gandalf wrote: »
    What would be more effective is to boycott all the sponsors products who are endorsing the World Cup in South Africa and FIFA. We aren't going to get a replay but if a blatant handball like that can cost a country a place in the so called showpiece of the "Fair Play" Fifa then its time to bring in Video Replay and if we can use the power of the mighty Euro to help concentrate peoples minds then so be it.

exactly, money is the only thing that will persuade.

after all, that's why the seeded draw as brought in in the first place right :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Just had a look on the Fifa website to see what they're saying about the result and I'm just outraged at this match report....

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1136804.html#gallas+breaks+irish+hearts
    France secured their FIFA World Cup™ spot in dramatic fashion with a thrilling 1-1 draw with the Republic of Ireland at the Stade de France.

Giovanni Trapattoni's visitors, beaten 1-0 in Dublin last Saturday in the first leg of their play-off, had taken a shock lead in the 32nd minute through Robbie Keane and the Irish were unlucky not to score more before forcing the match to extra time. In the first additional 15-minute spell, France had an appeal for a penalty correctly turned down after striker Nicolas Anelka tumbled to the turf under pressure in the eighth minute.

Five minutes later, William Gallas bunled the ball home to win the match for Les Bleus. The goal enabled France to qualify and avoid a repeat of their humiliating failure, at the hands of Bulgaria, to qualify for the 1994 FIFA World Cup finals.

The Republic, especially captain Robbie Keane, had the lion's share of the chances in regulation time, and they will be kicking themselves having last qualified for the 2002 FIFA World Cup, where they reached the Round of 16.

A clearly relieved French coach Raymond Domenech said France had had to scrap to the end. "It was hard, laborious and indeed miraculous," he told French television. "I was sure we would make it though. My forecast was 1-1!"

"It was hard, laborious and indeed miraculous. I was sure we would make it though."
    France coach Raymond Domenech

French President Nicolas Sarkozy saluted a "gallant Irish" team before praising his countrymen. "It's fabulous - we're really glad to get through. Qualification is important as it's a major event," Sarkozy told TF1.

Domenech was forced to reshuffle after the first leg victory in Dublin last Saturday after injuries to midfielder Jeremy Toulalan and central defender Eric Abidal. After just nine minutes, Abidal's pre-match replacement, Julien Escude, came off injured to be replaced by Sebastian Squillaci.

The unexpected turn of events would set the tone for what was, for them, a frustrating first half from which a more enterprising Republic team emerged with a 1-0 lead. While France looked dangerous in the opening stages, they went on to look exceedingly mediocre up against an astute Irish defence given plenty of protection by the assured Shay Given.

Damian Duff and Liam Lawrence had already shown their ability to carve openings in the French defence and it was Duff's cutback from deep on the left side of the French area that found Keane, who side-footed the ball first time to beat Hugo Lloris in the France goal. In the 39th minute, France striker Nicolas Anelka turned his marker nicely on the edge of the area but his shot was deflected by an Irish body and went for a corner.

A subdued Stade de France welcomed a more hopeful French team for the second half, but Ireland quickly stated their intent as Keane won a free kick on the left flank and Lawrence's kick found John O'Shea unmarked at the back post. However, after controlling the ball the Manchester United defender's shot was struck over the crossbar from four yards out.

France began exploiting Irish weaknesses on the right flank and a Henry free-kick was well turned away by Lawrence and eventually gathered by Given after Gourcuff had driven the ball back in. Just after the hour-mark, the Irish were given another golden opportunity, Duff racing through only for Lloris to block his effort.

Keane, one of the survivors of the 2002 tournament, was left frustrated after he missed a golden chance to put the Republic 2-0 up when he put the ball wide from a tight angle with only Lloris to beat. After struggling all night to overcome a packed Irish defence, France's late stroke of luck finally proved the visitors' downfall.

They didn't even mention the handball!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad: There is a serious pro-France tone about the whole report!

Some might say well maybe they don't want to discuss referee decisions..... but they do say "France had an appeal for a penalty correctly turned down after striker Nicolas Anelka tumbled to the turf under pressure in the eighth minute." . If that decision gets a mention I think there is another one that could be slightly more important...

Also did you hear Henry's Interview? He admitted that he handed it, not like he had much choice. If it way any other sport he would be expected to go up to the referee and come clean after he awarded the goal.

Interview on BBC website (audio): http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8367588.stm

If we don't get a replay then I'm giving up on soccer!

Neil3030 wrote: »
    That was my comment on the petition. There's no way FIFA can distance themselves from blame by focusing all wrongdiongs on the match officials. They decide the rules, they hire the officials. They are the ones accountable for this injustice.

and where does it stop if they give ireland a replay?

every single game with a dodgy match costing decision will therefore have to be replayed by their own precedent

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Taxipete29 wrote: »

I know it wont make a difference in this case and France are going to South Africa, just making a point

And to this day we still don't get any credit for this

every single game with a dodgy match costing decision will therefore have to be replayed by their own precedent

+1

I can think of several Arsenal games where decisions have cost us and cost us big.

They can't set a precedent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Would love if this was replayed. But it wont be. Fifa got the result they wanted. They dont give to ****s about us and our little nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

We aren't going to get a replay. But the fact that the fifa match report completely ignores the handball speaks volumes. It really does. They will just stick their head in the sand and hope this goes away. Typical response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

This could be classed as precedent.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/germany2006/news/newsid=27212.html

There was no technical error, there was a judgement error. If we had replays for that, seasons would last ten years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

There was no technical error, there was a judgement error. If we had replays for that, seasons would last ten years.

Good point.

1. This isn't just any three-men-and-a-dog tie, it's a live-or-die, last hurdle, gateway to a World Cup.

2. The backlash of the outlandish oversights in tonight's game will hopefully be manifest in petititons and yes, if comparably incompetent officiating in other games creates as much disquiet let them have a replay aswell.

• Advertisement

So replays will be dictated on a level of outrage basis? Or a sheer number of outraged people? What's the cut off point of level of outrage or number of outraged people where you'd allow a replay to be discussed?

So replays will be dictated on a level of outrage basis? Or a sheer number of outraged people? What's the cut off point of level of outrage or number of outraged people where you'd allow a replay to be discussed?

Significance of the tie and degree of incompetence displayed by officials can be comfortably assesed. "Outrage" is open-ended, so I'd see that more as a catalyst than a criterion.

1. This isn't just any three-men-and-a-dog tie, it's a live-or-die, last hurdle, gateway to a World Cup.

2. The backlash of the outlandish oversights in tonight's game will hopefully be manifest in petititons and yes, if comparably incompetent officiating in other games creates as much disquiet let them have a replay aswell.

so it only affects important games then?

domestic games are fine for the ref to cock up, regardless of how much money it costs the team affected?

i just want to know the parameters of this new rule youd like to introduce for replays

if a player fouls someone in the 3rd minute, but its not given despite being blatant, and his team go on to lose can they appeal on the basis of the free kick? because had it been given the game wouldnt have panned out in the exact way it did, and they might have won?

so it only affects important games then?

domestic games are fine for the ref to cock up, regardless of how much money it costs the team affected?

i just want to know the parameters of this new rule youd like to introduce for replays

if a player fouls someone in the 3rd minute, but its not given despite being blatant, and his team go on to lose can they appeal on the basis of the free kick? because had it been given the game wouldnt have panned out in the exact way it did, and they might have won?

Ah the ever reliable straw man of precise demarcation... :rolleyes:

He raises a very valid point. Hypothetical situation, Ireland conceed that goal in the first minute and go on to lose 4-0. Still a replay? We could argue that goal ruined our confidence and changed the game completely.

Situation 2 - France get the goal early on, and as a result of that decide to put 10 men behind the ball rather than come at Ireland. This backfires, Ireland get a stranglehold on the game and get 2 goals as a direct result of that decision. Still a replay? After all, France lost a game because of a bad decision in that case...

But such technicalities are irrelevant - FIFA have demanded replays in the past.

But such technicalities are irrelevant - FIFA have demanded replays in the past.

not for anything like this they havent

nor will they

nor should they

No they aren't, you can't demand a rule then say cases are irrelevent because you don't feel like giving answers - And over technical mistakes, not a mistake in judgement from the referee. Every single match features mistakes in judgement from officals they are, after all, human. Every single match is therefore a candidate for a replay. Linesman flags a striker offside when he may have a clear goal scoring chance in the first half, is that match now destined to be a replay if it's an important game? If not, why not?

No they aren't, you can't demand a rule then say cases are irrelevent because you don't feel like giving answers - And over technical mistakes, not a mistake in judgement from the referee. Every single match features mistakes in judgement from officals they are, after all, human. Every single match is therefore a candidate for a replay. Linesman flags a striker offside when he may have a clear goal scoring chance in the first half, is that match now destined to be a replay if it's an important game? If not, why not?

What question am I not answering? The one which basically requires I draught an entire piece of precisely defined, demarcated and criterion-based legislation? Yeah, I'm right on that...

I also never, not once, labeled any specific case as irrelevant, I labeled a request for such pedantic demarcation as irrelevant.

If you’re happy to permit football to continue being governed in such a manner that permits gross incompetence in officiation then good luck to you. I’m not saying there haven’t been grievous injustices imposed on teams in the past, in all walks of competitions, through refereeing inadequacy, but history and progress is charted by extreme events and just because certain things have gone unchallenged in the past doesn’t mean we must lay down and accept what happened tonight. Precedents need setting, not because tonight is the “most important” but because we actually have the stones to do something about it and limit the scope for this kind of thing happening again.

• Advertisement

So if a penalty is awarded in a match and it is not a pen, do we have a replay?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    So if a penalty is awarded in a match and it is not a pen, do we have a replay?

That'd be a great way to combat diving, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Des wrote: »
    Online petitions always work :rolleyes:

well.... don't the european union have to listen if you have 1 million signatures to your cause, no matter how strange, under the lisbon treaty? so they will work. just not to fifa. although how about a petition to the eu to tell sepp blatter to fcuk off and stay within the confines of switzerland??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Don't think there will or should be a replay, but I would like to see Fifa ban Henry from playing in the world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Gillette Blades must be less than delighted with the cheat.
    Tiger Woods and Roger Federer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Never mind a petition the FAI should take this one to the courts. Somewhere along the line someone needs to take a stand.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Lads get a grip on reality will ya? If it was Ireland winning with a hand ball from robbie keane, we'd all be delighted, go to the world cup and nothing more said.

Talk about over reacting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I don't think fifa saw the hand ball tbh. not acording to their match report anyway. No mention of it at all......

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1136804.html#gallas+breaks+irish+hearts
    William Gallas bunled the ball home to win the match for Les Bleus.
    After struggling all night to overcome a packed Irish defence, France's late stroke of luck finally proved the visitors' downfall.
    The key moment
    After 180 hard-fought minutes, the fate of both teams was decided by a moment of drama in extra time. The outcome remained in the balance until the very last second, and when the final whistle was blown the disappointed Irish could hold their heads up high.

neither their report nor match photos show the most important moment of the game. no mention at all.

move along, nothing to see here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Here is what one fan said on teamtalk (obviously english :) )

Not only should the goal have been dissallowed but it should have been a red card as this was just as bad as handball on the goal line to prevent a goal. Although the Irish that used to laugh about Maradona hand of god don't feel so great now do they.

And it's true...oh how we laughed at England when Maradona handled the ball...
    well today we know how they feel. And it's not fúckin funny at all is it?

Personally I think Fifa should hand Henry a 3 match ban.
    He's admitted cheating and they should have the balls to take action..of course they won't though.

If you really wanted to make a point to Fifa organize a boycott of Gillette etc and all World Cup sponsors..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Lads get a grip on reality will ya? If it was Ireland winning with a hand ball from robbie keane, we'd all be delighted, go to the world cup and nothing more said.

Talk about over reacting!

But that isn't the case.

You honestly think no one would have said anything if it was Ireland that had cheated France. You can be damn sure there would have been people disappointed with the fashion of the victory if that had been the case.

Sure, we wouldn't be saying we wanted Keane banned, but the French would be, and I'm sure we'd all be disappointed at the actions of Keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

they fixed the seeding. they fixed the draw. Henry fixed Ireland.
    FIFA wont fix that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement