Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead/Dying GFXCard - Suitable replacement?

Options
  • 19-11-2009 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads,

Got a free box on monday, yay:) Only thing is, one HDD and the GFX are dead, well, the card is almost dead. Pic below(any way to sort it out, I'd be surprised but delighterd; nVidia 8800GTX).

Its a Dimension 9200, 4GB, Core 2 CPU 2.66GHz, Audigy Sound,Baracuda Drives. And the bolloxed 8800GTX.I'm running it on my brand spanking new ST2210 22" 1920 Monitor over DVI. I'm looking for a midrange card to get it going for now, I'll be doing a build soon, fingers crossed. Decent FPS on COD4, COH, TF2 etc etc is what I'm looking for. Value for money is key. Box should run quite cool so warmer cards are fine.

Thanks,
    Lethal.

DSC00022.jpg
    DSC00021.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

does it hang? if not its artifacting and 99% caused by duff memory, try underclocking the gpu memory using MSI afterburner or Rivatuner, also try underclocking the core and shaders also, may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

On a clean install it boots detecting a standard VGA adaptor. Runs 1024 max with artifacts all over the screen. As soon as I install the driver(manual or from WinUp) it accepts and then BSODs on boot. System restore fails.

I'll try the oven method......

On a clean install it boots detecting a standard VGA adaptor. Runs 1024 max with artifacts all over the screen. As soon as I install the driver(manual or from WinUp) it accepts and then BSODs on boot. System restore fails.

I'll try the oven method......
    it could be overheating and just need a new gpu cooler, check the temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

You can get a lot of decent cards around the 80-90 eur mark from zee germanz - GTS250/4850/4870 (possibly).

• Advertisement

lmimmfn wrote: »
    it could be overheating and just need a new gpu cooler, check the temps.

Yeah, boot booting from cold it instantly BSODs, right after the POST, could it overheat that fast?

Yeah, boot booting from cold it instantly BSODs, right after the POST, could it overheat that fast?
    Yes, very easily. Have you tried cleaning its fan?

Im only giving you options before you cook it as that should be a last resort.

You can pickup a second hand 8800GT for 45-50 euro and 95% of the time its as fast as an 8800GTX if you overclock it a bit.

Thats a nice figure:)

Cleaned the fan, very little dust on the rest f the card.

I'll do a bit more checking tnight. Thanks lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

theres ghosts haunting your gfx card, you can see them in the background

Noob Q, is there no way to read the temp sensors without third party software?

• Advertisement

Box has been idling for over 12 hrs now, the mounting plte is very hot to the touch even though its been inactive, bad sign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Very bad sign, it is a hot running card, but at idle it shouldn't be that hot. Try the oven bake to be honest. You really have nothing to loose.

Anti wrote: »
    Very bad sign, it is a hot running card, but at idle it shouldn't be that hot. Try the oven bake to be honest. You really have nothing to loose.

Its out a few mins now. No fire at least.

Will know in 30-40 mins, fingers crossed.

Video too if it works:)

OMFGROLFCOPTRLOLZHAXORZYEAH!

IT F@CKING WORKED!

I'm speechless......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

OMFGROLFCOPTRLOLZHAXORZYEAH!

IT F@CKING WORKED!

I'm speechless......

Wow, seriously?

I was joking when I said to bake it... :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti