Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

forced out of a bar

Options
  • 19-11-2009 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

As far as i know the law in Ireland is to allow people half an hour after
    "final orders" to finish their drinks. I was at a place tonight that asked us to leave 3 times before this time and when I pointed out our right to be here the bouncer called us "childish", (we were forced out after 31 mins). Usually when our group goes to pubs there would be 10+ of us but tonight there was <5 so i figured the place in question would want our custom (we had been here before) but i guess not. Won't be suggesting going to this place again anyways.

Does this happen to many of ye and is there anything that can be done about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Where was it? Name them please! They kicked you out, they deserve to be named.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Boards has a proud tradition of "Bouncers are bastards" threads. None of them will ever work out well enough to allow you an extra 6.57 minutes to savour the dregs of your poorly poured pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Pub Laws - Opening Hours

Monday - Thursday
    10.30 Opening
    11.30 Last Orders
    11.30 Half hour drink up time*

Friday - Saturday:
    10.30 Opening
    12.30 Last Orders
    12.30 Half hour drink up time*

Sunday
    12.00 Opening
    11.00 Last Orders
    11.00 Half hour drink up time*

Did your pub follow this OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They actually didn't kick you out before time (31 mins) although they started shouting early.
    But yeah, it can be ****ing annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭beezkneez

Surely this law is only a max time they can stay open until. Pubs can surely close up whenever they want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 banthebrick

time to vote with your feet. these staff seem to treat customers like they're a nuiscence and not the people that are payin their wages. :mad:

hopefully the recession and competition for custom will weed these people out, manners are free after all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Most pubs tell you several times that it is drinking up time, the bouncers have homes and families to go to, would you like it if at the end of every day you had to spend half an hour getting people out of your work place.

Would you object if a shopkeeper comes up to you and reminds you that the shop is closing shortly and then tell you a bit later that sorry but the shop is now closed and could you leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

"final orders" to finish their drinks. I was at a place tonight that asked us to leave 3 times before this time and when I pointed out our right to be here the bouncer called us "childish", (we were forced out after 31 mins). Usually when our group goes to pubs there would be 10+ of us but tonight there was <5 so i figured the place in question would want our custom (we had been here before) but i guess not. Won't be suggesting going to this place again anyways.

31 minutes is more than half an hour. Whats the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

The rule/law is that the pub can allow a max of 30 minutes drinking up time, not that they have to give you 30 minutes to finish up. Pubs can close at whatever time they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 banthebrick

Webbs wrote: »
    Most pubs tell you several times that it is drinking up time, the bouncers have homes and families to go to, would you like it if at the end of every day you had to spend half an hour getting people out of your work place.

Would you object if a shopkeeper comes up to you and reminds you that the shop is closing shortly and then tell you a bit later that sorry but the shop is now closed and could you leave?

not exactly the same thing. in a shop you buy something and leave. if you buy drinks in a city centre pub legally you can't take it outside.

if bouncers don't want to spend half an hour getting people out of their work place perhaps they should choose a different line of work.

I worked as barman myself for a few years and always accepted the late nights as part of the job.

Some pubs are prepared to take (a lot of) money off people for a drink at 12.30 and then their staff will start shouting at them to leave half an hour later. not everyone wants to skull their drink back in such haste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I dont agree with the op's comments, in that I believe some pubs do try get you drink up in the last half hour as after that drink up time the pub is operating illegally.

Also, I dont agree with your comments.
    One of the main parts of the bouncers jobs is to clear the pub at closing, I am sure they are paid right up to then also and are fully aware that their work hours will encroach on their home/family life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

kippy wrote: »
    I dont agree with the op's comments, in that I believe some pubs do try get you drink up in the last half hour as after that drink up time the pub is operating illegally.

Also, I dont agree with your comments.
    One of the main parts of the bouncers jobs is to clear the pub at closing, I am sure they are paid right up to then also and are fully aware that their work hours will encroach on their home/family life.

Of course its their job and as far as I can tell the OP was complaining that the bouncers were doing their job in a normal manner.
    What I was trying to highlight was the OPs misplaced indignation, apologies as I didnt really put my point over that well.

As to banthebrick comments, if I buy drink at last orders then its my fault not the bars if I am told to leave 30mins later and havent finished my drink, everyone knows the rules. If I wanted to drink at my pace then I should have made sure I knew what time it was when I bought my drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

The law in Ireland says that management of a licensed premises can refuse or request any one to leave, at any time. It cannot be for race/sex/whatever equality authority grounds.

If you can show me the half hour you mentioned in law, I'll admit I'm wrong; but I've never seen anything like that referenced in ireland. In the UK, there is a specific drinking up time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Darken Rahl

thanks for the replies, my main point was really that it's just very poor customer service, being rude to them after them spending the evening in the bar, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

They might counter that it's rude for you not to leave so they can close up the place! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

yoi should have said you were a traveller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

thanks for the replies, my main point was really that it's just very poor customer service, being rude to them after them spending the evening in the bar, that's all.

they don't give a shi*e. they have plenty of customers and probably overcharge, which people are willing to pay. i am guessing its a big bar so they are more into profit that friendliness.
    bouncers don't like smart alecs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I worked as barman myself for a few years and always accepted the late nights as part of the job.

Some pubs are prepared to take (a lot of) money off people for a drink at 12.30 and then their staff will start shouting at them to leave half an hour later. not everyone wants to skull their drink back in such haste.

So the bar should take the risk of being fined and maybe losing their licence for having people on the premises more than half an hour after last orders? Just so someone can sit a while longer over their drink? Come on, if you buy a drink at 12.30 you know the rules, out by 1am. I worked as a barman too, and accepted late nights, but no way was I risking the boss's licence (and my job) to let people stay a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

Of course its their job and as far as I can tell the OP was complaining that the bouncers were doing their job in a normal manner. What I was trying to highlight was the OPs misplaced indignation, apologies as I didnt really put my point over that well.

Incorrect. The OP complained that they were asked to leave 3 times before the required time. They were hassled 3 times in this time period and were called 'childish' when they informed the bouncer of their right to the timeframe to consume the product. Hardly 'normal manner' for a staff to customer relationship!?

As to banthebrick comments, if I buy drink at last orders then its my fault not the bars if I am told to leave 30mins later and havent finished my drink, everyone knows the rules. If I wanted to drink at my pace then I should have made sure I knew what time it was when I bought my drink.

Maybe they should have informed him at last orders, that, whilst he has the right to the next 30 minutes to consume the product on the premises, despite his custom, he will be hassled by staff to leave in that 30 minutes, and if he informs said staff of this right, he may be insulted by same staff.

Hardly 'misplaced indignation' I suggest. Well justified in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I think the reason they start the process early in the 'half hour' is that people wouldn't or don't leave on the dot of the half (OP even said they were a minute over).
    I see it as encouraging you to drink it up in time, particularly if you have 2 pints sitting in front of you or something.
    I find most pubs (there are exceptions) won't hassle you if they see you drinking up, and not a ton of booze in front of you.

In some parts of the states it's hardcore. No half hour for a lot of places. I remember one horror/hilarious story years ago when a student of us ordering 10 dollar cups of beer (I think there were 3 or 4 of us) and them promptly taking them off us SIX minutes later (there was much prizing out of one person's hand!):D

Yeah, they literally take whatever is in your hand away BANG on the dot.
    I'd rather the slow warnings over the half hour to be honest.

Aah...takes me back to Séamus in Mick Taylors "have ye no bl**dy homes to go to" - good times:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Also the bouncers only get paid up until a certain time so they hardly want to hang around while you nurse your pint. If you were given the right amount of time I don't see the complaint tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

I think the OP was making a fair enough complaint about being asked to leave and probably hurried by a pushy bouncer into drinking up after paying (a probably ridiculous price) for another drink at 12.30. I have experienced this very often and it is not nice and often causes confrontations between customers and staff which are avoidable with a bit of common courtesy. I appreciate they have a job to do but their way of dealing with "customers" leave a lot to be desired in my experience. Some bouncers in the Front Door are some of the worst culprits and I think groups of men get asked/pushed along more than others...

Pubs in general need to cop on about how they treat their customers. Prices and quality of customer service are disgraceful in most places.

gandroid wrote: »
    I think the OP was making a fair enough complaint about being asked to leave and probably hurried by a pushy bouncer into drinking up after paying (a probably ridiculous price) for another drink at 12.30. I have experienced this very often and it is not nice and often causes confrontations between customers and staff which are avoidable with a bit of common courtesy. I appreciate they have a job to do but their way of dealing with "customers" leave a lot to be desired in my experience. Some bounchers in the Front Door are some of the worst culprits and I think groups of men get asked/pushed along more than others...

Pubs in general need to cop on about how they treat their customers. Prices and quality of customer service are disgraceful in most places.

Okay,
    to you and the OP.
    If you dont like expensive drinks, poor service and indeed pushy bouncers, do not darken these pubs doors again. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If it was a residents' bar in a hotel, there would be cause to grumble, but it's a public house, abiding by the law. Don't be so selfish.

Okay,
    to you and the OP.
    If you dont like expensive drinks, poor service and indeed pushy bouncers, do not darken these pubs doors again. Simple as.

:rolleyes: Don't be ridiculous. It is hardly as "simple as" that. The point can still be made or why bother discussing anything? Should we just accept poor customer service and the whole "this is just the way it is" attitude? The point I made was not exclusive to particular pubs but a general problem imo. In the current economic environment in particular all pubs ought to care about how to offer customers the right service for their hard to come by money.

If we adopted the attitude you are suggesting to everything we "don't like", nothing would ever change, improve or be influenced in a positve manner by the views of customers

I "don't like" or agree with how the health service or A&E is run either but if I break my hand this afternoon, I will go along to A&E to get attended to, and be glad of the service, imperfect as it may be...that is life. But there is nothing wrong with aspiring to see things improved.

This is precisely why things are debated in a sensible manner, with a view to trying to improve things.

:rolleyes: Don't be ridiculous. It is hardly as "simple as" that. The point can still be made or why bother discussing anything? Should we just accept poor customer service and the whole "this is just the way it is" attitude? The point I made was not exclusive to particular pubs but a general problem imo. In the current economic environment in particular all pubs ought to care about how to offer customers the right service for their hard to come by money.

If we adopted the attitude you are suggesting to everything we "don't like", nothing would ever change, improve or be influenced in a positve manner by the views of customers

I "don't like" or agree with how the health service or A&E is run either but if I break my hand this afternoon, I will go along to A&E to get attended to, and be glad of the service, imperfect as it may be...that is life. But there is nothing wrong with aspiring to see things improved.

This is precisely why things are debated in a sensible manner, with a view to trying to improve things.
    You dont really have a choice with A and E or various other aspects of life. You of course have every right to complain about these types of services, you are after all paying for them.
    The easiest way to make you views known on the service industry is to avoid establishments that you dont actually like. its not like we are short of pubs in the place.
    Superpubs such as the front door/quays/kings head etc etc, dont really rely on good customer service, they have some sort of aura that seems to attract people all the time, be it the expensive alcohol, the inaccessable jacks, the unbearable heat or some of the friendly staff.
    They will almost always get a crowd and this crowd+ the profits tell the owners they are doing everything right. They dont really care after that.
    If you dont like a pub for whatever reason, dont go there, support another possibly lesser known pub instead which may respect your business more and treat you better.

I was not asking you to stop discussing this issue, or indeed to bring it to the attention of management, merely saying you have a choice as to where you spend you money in the case of pubs, you may not have this choice in other walks of life.

Fair point about superpubs and their reasons for not caring etc. I agree that they can get away with poor service and still rake in the profits. I still think it is not too much to expect them to treat people/customers with courtesy though I do appreciate that when dealing with people with alcohol on board, they don't always get courtesy in return.

I make a point of trying to support and return to places where I get good service but sometimes on a night out, you end up in places not through personal choice but for an unavoidable reason, in order to meet mates etc.

Fair point about superpubs and their reasons for not caring etc. I agree that they can get away with poor service and still rake in the profits. I still think it is not too much to expect them to treat people/customers with courtesy though I do appreciate that when dealing with people with alcohol on board, they don't always get courtesy in return.

I make a point of trying to support and return to places where I get good service but sometimes on a night out, you end up in places not through personal choice but for an unavoidable reason, in order to meet mates etc.

Yep, I myself have very little time for the pubs in and around shop/cross street, especially those that very obviously "work together" or are in fact owned by the same people. Its not good for the city or competition, however I do find myself ending up in some of them, be it to meet other people where the majority have the choice or for other reasons. I dont particularly like them, but I know what to expect when I go there.

Yeah, we should expect good service in all these places and we should punish those that dont provide it.

BTW,
    I still dont see an issue with how the OP was treated.

BTW, I still dont see an issue with how the OP was treated.

Well that's your opinion, fair enough.

I have no issue with him voicing his dissatifaction at poor customer service in a place where he spent his money, having experienced similar rudeness myself in the past.

• Advertisement

Well that's your opinion, fair enough.

I have no issue with him voicing his dissatifaction at poor customer service in a place where he spent his money, having experienced similar rudeness myself in the past.

What was poor about it?
    Bouncers doing their jobs and probably trying to clear a VERY busy bar before the bar was operating illegally.
    Has the establishment been menioned yet actually?

Advertisement