Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for transport - Horsebox Lend/Share in South Dublin?

Options
  • 19-11-2009 2:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm in the yard beside Brooke Lodge in Stepaside and I'm sick of having no transport to bring my lovely boy anywhere! My peugeot won't pull a box and even though it'll be really uneconomical for my work I'm ready to buy a jeep just to pull a box... but I can't afford a horsebox aswell as a jeep at the moment. Sooooo would anyone in south Dublin be willing to lend me their box on the weekends when they're not using it? Hiring one seems like such a waste - €60 to use one for a couple of hours!!

Or does anyone who goes to SJI shows, hunter trials, hunts, beach, forest etc. have space in their box for my 15.1 lightweight gelding? He's perfect in transit and gets on great with other horses, very kind nature. I would of course contribute money.

Thanks for reading, praying for a response!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

I would go with the hiring option to be honest. €60 is not that expensive - borrowing someone else's box is a risk - what if it gets damaged in your possession or stolen, for example?..just a thought thats all. Personally i would never lend my box to anyone, nor do i ever offer to transport anyone else's horse with my horses - i only take responsibility for my own horse and i wouldnt take the risk of either injury to my horse or another horse or both while having both in my box. Are you covered insurance wise to pull a box - if you go down the route of hiring a box maybe at least the hiring company has insurance on the box against damage/theft etc, which is something u may not have if you borrowed someone else's box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭cookerj

Thanks for your reply. I see €60 as very expensive when I would also be paying for diesel and entrance to shows - that could be more than €100 almost every Sat or Sun.

I would of course have my jeep insured to pull the box and get it fixed on my insurance/with my own money if anything ever happened. I would allow anyone with a calm horse to transport theirs with mine (in a box I OWNED) as long as they understood I'm not responsible if something happens. I would also lend a box I owned as long as the person took responsibility and got it fixed were an accident to occur. If someone took me to a show in their box I would sign a waiver to say they're not responsible for anything that happens, that's MY risk.

I have many friends who do this successfully, sadly I'm in a new yard as I moved house and there aren't many people where I am now.

I would never lend a box, from a liability and disease point of view. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

yeah your in a tricky situtation there, people are reluctant to lend boxes because of the risk on injury,stolen, spreading disease etc.

personally i only lend my box to people i know very well and even then i got it back with a few marks, but what can you say, the easiest option is not to lend it.

why don't you look into investing a single horse box? your car might be able for it, i can't remember what kind of peugeot you said you had but if its the bigger diesel ones it would be able to pull a single box, remember licence required and insurance is essential to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Wicked wrote: »
    yeah your in a tricky situtation there, people are reluctant to lend boxes because of the risk on injury,stolen, spreading disease etc.

personally i only lend my box to people i know very well and even then i got it back with a few marks, but what can you say, the easiest option is not to lend it.

why don't you look into investing a single horse box? your car might be able for it, i can't remember what kind of peugeot you said you had but if its the bigger diesel ones it would be able to pull a single box, remember licence required and insurance is essential to.

Good idea. Realistically, if your intention is to go every weekend to a show, is it not more practical to have your own mode of transport as opposed to borrowing someone else's? there's lots of boxes for sale on donedeal, you might get a good bargain?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭cookerj

My previous thread appears to have disappeared! Is there ANYONE near/in Stepaside who'd be willing to give me and my boy a lift to shows/trials etc? I would of course get insurance sorted, I simply don't have a box at the moment as it's extremely uneconomical for me to drive a jeep for work and I'm a part-time student.

I'm delighted to pay, just not delighted to pay the €60 on my own just to get to a hunt/little show down the road and back. I'm in the yard beside Brooke Lodge. Many thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Just merged your threads. The reason you couldn't find your thread is because you posted it over 2 months ago. If you want to find an older post, you need to set the filter accordingly. Ex - set it to search for posts for a longer period than 2 months - ex - 2 months, 100 days, from beginning.

Advertisement