Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Match **DO NOT START OTHER MATCH THREADS**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Another screw job for the smaller nations by Platini and his cohorts.

With the "big nations" like Italy, France, and Brazil being the poorest they've been in many years they need all the help they can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

:D

Ok like I don't know much about football at all, I think it is important that I preface what I am about to say with that. I think that the Irish are a disgrace, and conducted themselves terribly throughout this whole affair. Granted, Henry did handle the ball, but it is generally acknowledged that this was a reflex action, not one which he was consciously aware of, a point of view stated by both players and commentators. The amount of hate I have seen directed not only towards Henry himself, but the French public in general, has been an embarrassment as far as I am concerned. One needs to do nothing more than to log onto Facebook and look at some of the comments which are being left on Thierry Henry fan pages, not to mention the manifold anti-Henry pages which have sprouted up like some foul fungus in the time since the match. If this is how immature Ireland's attitude to sport is than we should abstain until we can think about it and contextualise it. Maybe then we could be a bit more rational in our response if this incident is to repeat itself at some juncture in the future. I don't mean to offend, a sentiment not shared by many others.

This is what happens when you have a game run by idiots. Take a look at rugby..video evidence works, ref's decision is final, never see players arguing with the referee, no diving, cheating, racist chants etc. etc.... It's only human nature people will react this way. The govering of the game is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

Ok like I don't know much about football at all, I think it is important that I preface what I am about to say with that. I think that the Irish are a disgrace, and conducted themselves terribly throughout this whole affair. Granted, Henry did handle the ball, but it is generally acknowledged that this was a reflex action, not one which he was consciously aware of, a point of view stated by both players and commentators. The amount of hate I have seen directed not only towards Henry himself, but the French public in general, has been an embarrassment as far as I am concerned. One needs to do nothing more than to log onto Facebook and look at some of the comments which are being left on Thierry Henry fan pages, not to mention the manifold anti-Henry pages which have sprouted up like some foul fungus in the time since the match. If this is how immature Ireland's attitude to sport is than we should abstain until we can think about it and contextualise it. Maybe then we could be a bit more rational in our response if this incident is to repeat itself at some juncture in the future. I don't mean to offend, a sentiment not shared by many others.

There's a few things wrong in that post but regards Facebook etc: the numbers of people joining groups and shite just reflects a general anger at being robbed, not full-blown racism.

A lot of what you mention has nothing to do with the real problems people are angry about: FIFA's bullshit system, lack of video tech, etc. And not the French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SarahChambers

Takk wrote: »
    There's a few things wrong in that post but regards Facebook etc: the numbers of people joining groups and shite just reflects a general anger at being robbed, not full-blown racism.

A lot of what you mention has nothing to do with the real problems people are angry about: FIFA's bullshit system, lack of video tech, etc. And not the French.

Well if there's a lot wrong with my post, by all means, enlighten me, I admit my ignorance on the subject runs as deep as some people's hidden prejudices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Granted, Henry did handle the ball, but it is generally acknowledged that this was a reflex action, not one which he was consciously aware of, a point of view stated by both players and commentators.

Firstly, the initial handball may have been a simple case of the above, as happened to a lesser extent with Robbie.

But the second touch - with his actual hand - was 100% deliberate; you could see him looking at the ball and directing it down onto his foot.

Add to that the weasel words that he "said it to the ref" (maybe, but AFTER a sickening celebration for the "goal") and going over to Richard Dunne afterwards, and saying that it was "up to the ref", and you've got one absolute louse!

I've said it elsewhere; I don't view "getting caught" as a factor in our decisions whether or not to do things - e.g. breaking and entering, stealing, cheating on a partner.......I just don't do those things! That, to me, is what measures a real man.

Saying "I cheated, but it's up to the ref to object" is a cop-out.

And FIFA refusing to see justice done shows all schoolboys that cheating gets you rewards with no consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

Granted, Henry did handle the ball, but it is generally acknowledged that this was a reflex action, not one which he was consciously aware of

so he unconsiously handled it TWICE? I belive that is ....ahem...unlikely to be honest.

not to mention that there was two offsides in the same goal. overshadowed by the handball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SarahChambers

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Firstly, the initial handball may have been a simple case of the above, as happened to a lesser extent with Robbie.

But the second touch - with his actual hand - was 100% deliberate; you could see him looking at the ball and directing it down onto his foot.

Add to that the weasel words that he "said it to the ref" (maybe, but AFTER a sickening celebration for the "goal") and going over to Richard Dunne afterwards, and saying that it was "up to the ref", and you've got one absolute louse!

I've said it elsewhere; I don't view "getting caught" as a factor in our decisions whether or not to do things - e.g. breaking and entering, stealing, cheating on a partner.......I just don't do those things! That, to me, is what measures a real man.

Saying "I cheated, but it's up to the ref to object" is a cop-out.

And FIFA refusing to see justice done shows all schoolboys that cheating gets you rewards with no consequences.

Oh come off it, come right off it sonny! That is pathetic really, many of the Irish players and the commentators mentioned, having seen replays from all angles, that it was a reflex, not a conscious action but rather something which one does automatically. This is nothing more than bashing the player for an error which is in the hands of the officials. Pathetic that so many people feel as if they are in the position to contradict professionals, some of whom were feet away from Henry when the incident happened. The slow motion replay may give the appearance of a slow conscious effort to control the ball, but watch it at full speed and maybe you will realise the error you are making.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Having been at the match last night and along with about ten thousand others paid a hell of a lot of money to get there I feel very annoyed by your comments. The Irish fans were not a disgrace, we were cheated, no ifs, buts or maybes. However, not one of those fans behaved in anyway to disgrace themselves last night. I have had Parisians walk up to me in the street and actually apologise for the result and comment on how well behaved we had been considering that Algerian fans trashed Paris last night - and they had won their game. I think the Irish can hold their heads high, something a certain Monsieur Henry cannot do - a man whose praises I was singing only yesterday for what I thought was his general decency.

I'm just ranting now because I am tired and still angry so will leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

OutlawPete wrote: »
    It's a petition, sometimes they work, deal with that!

http://www.gopetition.com/online/32214/sign.html#se

Well you can whine and whine and whine and whine about it untill your blue in the face.

There will be no replay, yes it sucks but thats life. You just got to suck it up and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Oh come off it, come right off it sonny! That is pathetic really, many of the Irish players and the commentators mentioned, having seen replays from all angles, that it was a reflex, not a conscious action but rather something which one does automatically. This is nothing more than bashing the player for an error which is in the hands of the officials. Pathetic that so many people feel as if they are in the position to contradict professionals, some of whom were feet away from Henry when the incident happened. The slow motion replay may give the appearance of a slow conscious effort to control the ball, but watch it at full speed and maybe you will realise the error you are making.
    Henry admitted he Handballed it after the match was over, he said its the refs fault not his.
    It was no reflex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

It's devastating to go out like that but I think it's a bit unfair to say it was intentional. Yes, in the very slow replays it appears that it's deliberate but a slow replay is a lot different from real time.

If Ireland had won in that way I doubt many, if any, people in this topic would be complaining about Fifa and the rules, or would be saying that there should be a rematch.

Also, the ref failed to give France a definite penalty when Given brought down a guy in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Henry admitted he Handballed it after the match was over, he said its the refs fault not his.
    It was no reflex.

Just because he admitted that the ball touched his hand does not mean that it wasn't a reflex.

Duh! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: From the patronising "sonny" and the implication that I don't know what slow motion means, plus the patronising "realise the error you are making" - implying that it's "fact", rather than your opinion, that I'm making one; that's one sad post!

I'd be the FIRST to make allowances between what's visible in real-time vs what's visible in slow-motion.

What "professionals" were "feet away from Henry" ? Oh, yes; all the IRISH PLAYERS who IMMEDIATELY tried to point it out to the ref who was TENS OF YARDS AWAY and the linesman who was HALF THE WIDTH OF A PITCH away.

I'll say it again; I'd accept the initial contact as what you're claiming, but the flick of the wrist was a SECOND, DELIBERATE CONTACT.

Yes, the officials were at fault for not seeing it (and as you implied, only those within a few feet could really see it) but the fault lies with Henri; the double-handball, along with the fact that he directed it precisely towards his foot, means there's no way your opinion overrides mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Stop trolling and do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Mark200 wrote: »
    If Ireland had won in that way I doubt many, if any, people in this topic would be complaining about Fifa and the rules, or would be saying that there should be a rematch.

Stop with this ridiculous argument, look at the amount on international attention this is getting including from the French and I certainly would not be ok with it if it was committed by our side.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Also, the ref failed to give France a definite penalty when Given brought down a guy in the box.
    That was a dive by Anelka and he should have been booked for it.

Just because he admitted that the ball touched his hand does not mean that it wasn't a reflex.
    Wouldn't he of said it was just a reflex? An accidental handball? He didn't.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Well you can whine and whine and whine and whine about it untill your blue in the face.

There will be no replay, yes it sucks but thats life. You just got to suck it up and move on.
    Hmmm....
    your blue in the face.

Hmmm....
    blue in the face.

GEDDIM FELLAS!:mad::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

One needs to do nothing more than to log onto Facebook and look at some of the comments which are being left on Thierry Henry fan pages, not to mention the manifold anti-Henry pages which have sprouted up like some foul fungus in the time since the match.

That just says so much more about the mentality of some facebook users than it does about the Irish in general and the fans in particular.

Like you say, you don't know much about football; should have left it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Nope

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    That just says so much more about the mentality of some facebook users than it does about the Irish in general and the fans in particular.

Like you say, you don't know much about football; should have left it at that.
    Facebook petitions are often petty, the users just post insults and upload crappy pictures.
    The other petition however while still not as large as the facebook one has people signed with their real names and location aswell as a sensible comment.

One is greater in quantity and one is greater in quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Lol its even made it on to prime time!!

The irony that one of the panelists is actually called eoin hand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Duh! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: From the patronising "sonny" and the implication that I don't know what slow motion means, plus the patronising "realise the error you are making" - implying that it's "fact", rather than your opinion, that I'm making one; that's one sad post!

I'd be the FIRST to make allowances between what's visible in real-time vs what's visible in slow-motion.

What "professionals" were "feet away from Henry" ? Oh, yes; all the IRISH PLAYERS who IMMEDIATELY tried to point it out to the ref who was TENS OF YARDS AWAY and the linesman who was HALF THE WIDTH OF A PITCH away.

I'll say it again; I'd accept the initial contact as what you're claiming, but the flick of the wrist was a SECOND, DELIBERATE CONTACT.

Yes, the officials were at fault for not seeing it (and as you implied, only those within a few feet could really see it) but the fault lies with Henri; the double-handball, along with the fact that he directed it precisely towards his foot, means there's no way your opinion overrides mine.

Very Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

jd007 wrote: »
    Lol its even made it on to prime time!!

The irony that one of the panelists is actually called eoin hand
    Alanis?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

To be honest I think it mightn’t be a bad idea to wind down the protest post haste. First, it is most unlikely that the FFF will offer a replay and even if they did, I half suspect France might stuff us second time around. And the international empathy being shown towards us today won’t be very long mutating into a feeling that the Irish lads doth whine too much. And contrary to what the world and its dog are saying, we were not denied a place in the finals because of Henry’s handball. We were in all likelihood denied a penalty shoot out, in which I would have given us less than a 50-50 chance.
    The reality is that bending / breaking the rules is part and parcel of the game. Many of the top flight players have perfected the art of diving to earn frees or penalties or worse, to get an opponent booked or sent off. A defender who gets beaten by an opponent will routinely pull back/ take down their man and take the yellow card. His team’s supporters will all but commend on him on a card worth taking. If we really want football to have the same morality as say golf, where there would be genuine horror at a player deliberately cheating, then we need to begin at home, and be prepared to condemn one of our own who cheats for our cause. I see no readyness anywhere for that to happen any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Stop with this ridiculous argument, look at the amount on international attention this is getting including from the French and I certainly would not be ok with it if it was committed by our side.

Yes, but Raymond Domenech is officially the most hated man in France, and this is where a lot of the French support for the Irish cause is coming from. If an Irish player did what Henry did - I wouldn't be happy with it, but I wouldn't be a vocal as the French either. It's basically hatred for their manager..

lugha wrote: »
    We were in all likelihood denied a penalty shoot out, in which I would have given us less than a 50-50 chance.

I agree 100% with this; it's one of the issues about the discussion that I don't like.....even Kevin Moran made this error today on Prime Time.
    The reality is that bending / breaking the rules is part and parcel of the game. Many of the top flight players have perfected the art of diving to earn frees or penalties or worse, to get an opponent booked or sent off. A defender who gets beaten by an opponent will routinely pull back/ take down their man and take the yellow card. His team’s supporters will all but commend on him on a card worth taking.

Whose "reality" is this ? Yes, it's happening far too much (and Prime Time showed an earlier cheat by Henry) but that doesn't mean we should sit back and accept it.
    If we really want football to have the same morality as say golf, where there would be genuine horror at a player deliberately cheating, then we need to begin at home, and be prepared to condemn one of our own who cheats for our cause. I see no readyness anywhere for that to happen any time soon.

Well I, for one, view things this way ALL the time; if someone pulls a fast one or tries it on, I'll gladly condemn them.

If a ref misses something that results in my team getting a goal or a try, I'll admit it, no bother.

Sport is - or should be - sport. Win fairly, or don't bother. Compete fairly and hold your head high; if you've done your best then that's the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭garyt24

Irish played there hearts out...were all so proud of yous lads...its such a pitty that it took a cheat Henry to send the french through....Ive lost all respect for the little rat...break a leg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

It wasn't the Hand Of God...

It was the Hand Of Frog!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    Hand Of Frog

Yahoo Sport had that headline.

Funnily enough calling the French frogs last night could easily get you banned from Boards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement