Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Match **DO NOT START OTHER MATCH THREADS**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

No they should stop buying then cause there sh1t
    emo!! wrote: »
    anyone that stops buy Gillette products because of what happened is just silly..

Wasnt Gillettes fault we lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

thee glitz wrote: »
    Could the FAI sue the bollix outta FIFA over this, pocket a few million?
    i wouldnt be surprised, what was once the beautiful game has turned into a disgusting money making racket. pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Fucks sake lads, get some perspective. I'm as pissed off as any Irish person but this doesn't achieve anything.

Aidric wrote: »
    Fucks sake lads, get some perspective. I'm as pissed off as any Irish person but this doesn't achieve anything.

except making us look like pathetic whinging idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

aDeener wrote: »
    no supposedly about it, ireland didnt have a player on the pitch last night with a quarter of his ability. such a stupid post, try and not let anger cloud your judgment in future
    What Ireland did have yesterday on the pitch was players each full of drive, commitment and passion amounting to the entire french team put together.

France may have better players when it comes to skill but yesterday Ireland was unlike any Irish side I've seen before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

no supposedly about it, ireland didnt have a player on the pitch last night with a quarter of his ability. such a stupid post, try and not let anger cloud your judgment in future

agreed, i'd never heard of half the players on the ireland team, and sure most of them were probably english anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I always liked wilkinson sword.

Ah ffs who keeps merging these, this was a thread about a Gillette boycott.

What Ireland did have yesterday on the pitch was players each full of drive, commitment and passion amounting to the entire french team put together.

France may have better players when it comes to skill but yesterday Ireland was unlike any Irish side I've seen before.

no doubt about it, but trying to dismiss henry as not being world class is downright wrong, i could post youtube videos of him til the cows come home to prove otherwise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

God. So gutted. I think it's just hit me now. I was caught up in the emotion for ages. And to think I was so delighted when france won in 98 and wanted them to win the final in 06. Bastards. Hope they get shown up in Africa.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Who else here has decided to boycott Gillette products for life ?
    Surely boycotting them until the fire Henry would make more sense?

Anyway, no, silly idea.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

what henry did was wrong, scandalous even. but who here would not do the same in his position for ireland to qualify? im not condoning henrys behaviour at all, just throwing it out there. i know i would especially if things were going so poorly as they were for france

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

except making us look like pathetic whinging idiots

You're clearly are not a soccer fan, or even a sports fan for that matter. If you couldn't be a "pathetic whinging idiot" after this, then you're not human, or patriotic...It was a travesty.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    God. So gutted. I think it's just hit me now. I was caught up in the emotion for ages. And to think I was so delighted when france won in 98 and wanted them to win the final in 06. Bastards. Hope they get shown up in Africa.

considering your username, im quite surprised at that!;)

I hate the "Cheating is a part of football" attitude some people seem to have. They say why bother complain, thats how its always been. I can't believe how pacific some people can be. Nothings ever going to change that way. Action is the only way to do it.

<Ollie> wrote: »
    You're clearly are not a soccer fan, or even a sports fan for that matter. If you couldn't be a "pathetic whinging idiot" after this, then you're not human, or patriotic...It was a travesty.

oh right im not patriotic by not boycotting gilette... ffs ive seen it all now :rolleyes:

edit: the irony of your use of patriotism considering soccer here is a partionist sport.... but thats for another thread

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

157,000 now!

Supposedly the fastest growing group on Facebook!

I don't even have an account there, and usually hate the thoughts of groups.. but I have to say, that's quite remarkable

it'll get more publicity than old-fashioned petitions too, the media are horny for online stuff these days.

oh right im not patriotic by not boycotting gilette... ffs ive seen it all now :rolleyes:
    Ah cmon now, you know what he meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

what henry did was wrong, scandalous even.
    A bit much, no? He broke the rules which virtually every professional footballer would be prepared to do in some circumstances. I think Kilbane deliberately fouled his man last night (and got booked) to snuff out a potentially dangerous attack when he got caught unawares. Was that scandalous?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭why so serious?

jd007 wrote: »
    Can you explain how France were trying to lose that match?? Just because a team play bad this means they're trying to lose??:confused::confused:

I, too, am proud of the team, thought they were brilliant tonight.

Yeah, I think that's is called sarcasm!:rolleyes:

lugha wrote: »
    A bit much, no? He broke the rules which virtually every professional footballer would be prepared to do in some circumstances. I think Kilbane deliberately fouled his man last night (and got booked) to snuff out a potentially dangerous attack when he got caught unawares. Was that scandalous?

yes it was a bit much, i retract said statement. it was just wrong. scandal is people dying of starvation, not losing a football match

• Advertisement

157,000 now!

Supposedly the fastest growing group on Facebook!

I don't even have an account there, and usually hate the thoughts of groups.. but I have to say, that's quite remarkable

it'll get more publicity than old-fashioned petitions too, the media are horny for online stuff these days.

But the users who joined it are all slandering Henry and FIFA which really does nothing to help whatsoever except lowering the integrity of the petition.
    Petitions on Social Networking sites like facebook always end up full of stupid comments which ruin a petition.
    It will reach 500,000 at most I would say, its growing alarmingly fast

I hate the "Cheating is a part of football" attitude some people seem to have. They say why bother complain, thats how its always been. I can't believe how pacific some people can be. Nothings ever going to change that way. Action is the only way to do it.
    Well I would say a good place to start is to call your own team on it. But nobody does. As with a lot of wrong doing nobody minds too much until they are on the receiving end.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

158,591 as I type

*Edit* 159,448 in as many minutes as it has taken to edit it

*Edit* stands at 160,880
    pH wrote: »
    Yep - here's the last Maradona vs England thread in soccer, lots of sympathy for the losing team there, calls that it was a disgrace the game wasn't replayed and everything.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055227907

The final score for that particular match was 2-0.

So even if one of them had been disallowed it wouldn't have made any difference the other would have stood.

*Edit* my memory is failing :o:o I am incorrect it was 2-1 but it was still very hard to see whereas Henry was very obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The Irish team played magnificently & I have nothing but pride for how far they've come under Trap & how close we were to getting to the World Cup again. I was hugely dissapointed last night, but in fairness - that's football.. sometimes you get the luck & sometimes you don't - and let's not forget that Given could easily have been sent off & given away a penalty.

lugha wrote: »
    I would call that taking one for the team tbh, Getting a yellow is better than chancing losing your world cup qualifier. Its a desperate tactic and it worked.

Controlling the ball with your hand is not a tactic, its just plain cheating.

Ah cmon now, you know what he meant.

he replied directly to my post referring to people as being pathetic idiots for wanting to boycott gilette. its fairly clear what he meant. i wanted ireland to qualify as much as the next person but there is a serious lack of perspective around here

yes it was a bit much, i retract said statement. it was just wrong. scandal is people dying of starvation, not losing a football match
    Yeah, one of the first media outlets I checked online this morning was the Irish indo which along side the match story had the picture of the young students who dies in the crash in Galway. I found it a tad hard to get riled up over a football match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I'm not boycotting Gillette by the way, I think it's a silly idea.. I'm a proud pathetic whinging idiot though, and I think soccer is after turning into a joke at this stage..

PS. Wilkinson Sword cut the face of ya anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

S.L.F wrote: »

The final score for that particular match was 2-0.

So even if one of them had been disallowed it wouldn't have made any difference the other would have stood.

Ehm, the final score was England 1 - 2 Argentina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

But the users who joined it are all slandering Henry and FIFA which really does nothing to help whatsoever except lowering the integrity of the petition.
    Petitions on Social Networking sites like facebook always end up full of stupid comments which ruin a petition.
    It will reach 500,000 at most I would say, its growing alarmingly fast

Some people are dicks, everywhere, even on petitions

I wouldn't let that stand in the way of the obvious regard that people are giving it though, it all counts when those responsible hear of the sheer numbers of people involved =)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement