Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Match **DO NOT START OTHER MATCH THREADS**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

aDeener wrote: »
    oh right im not patriotic by not boycotting gilette... ffs ive seen it all now :rolleyes:

edit: the irony of your use of patriotism considering soccer here is a partionist sport.... but thats for another thread

Patriotism = Not watching soccer. You've really lost me now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

<Ollie> wrote: »
    I'm not boycotting Gillette by the way, I think it's a silly idea.. I'm a proud pathetic whinging idiot though, and I think soccer is after turning into a joke at this stage..

PS. Wilkinson Sword cut the face of ya anyway...

i'll not disagree with ya

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I would call that taking one for the team tbh, Getting a yellow is better than chancing losing your world cup qualifier. Its a desperate tactic and it worked.

Controlling the ball with your hand is not a tactic, its just plain cheating.

I'm afraid I fail to see a difference. How is a deliberate foul with the aim of thwarting an opposing attack any different in intent than aiding a goal by a deliberate hand ball? :confused:

Patriotism = Not watching soccer. You've really lost me now..

you are easily lost son

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm boycotting snails.

• Advertisement

you are easily lost son

LOL

But it's ok to follow Celtic and sing republican songs. Hilarious...

lugha wrote: »
    I'm afraid I fail to see a difference. How is a deliberate foul with the aim of thwarting an opposing attack any different in intent than aiding a goal by a deliberate hand ball? :confused:

Fouls are part & parcel of football. Using your hands is for gaelic players, not soccer ones (unless you're the keeper).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

157,000 now!

Supposedly the fastest growing group on Facebook!

I don't even have an account there, and usually hate the thoughts of groups.. but I have to say, that's quite remarkable

it'll get more publicity than old-fashioned petitions too, the media are horny for online stuff these days.

My name is URL . that made me laugh , tnx :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Ehm, the final score was England 1 - 2 Argentina.

I know

I edited my post

LOL
    il spell it out for you:

you claimed i was not being patriotic because you either think im not a fan of the republics soccer team or because i think its pathetic to be boycotting gilette on the basis of last night. That there is stupid, no other word to describe it.

plus the fact you brought patriotism into the equation in the 1st place considerin the soccer team does not represent the whole island. but as i said i want to leave it at that as that is for a different thread.

clear enough for ya?

what the hell is wrong with you? why are you bringing celtic and republican songs into it? i made no mention of them whatsoever.

• Advertisement

Fouls are part & parcel of football. Using your hands is for gaelic players, not soccer ones (unless you're the keeper).
    Or taking a throw. :D
    Anyway, my point was about deliberate fouls. And in my book, a deliberate foul to thwart an attack is every bit as much cheating as a deliberate hand ball is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Still the 2nd story on CNN, in fact it got more time and analysis then the lead story.

I have a ball of frustration and emotion inside me, cant shake it. Keep getting choked up when the story comes on. I dont think there is a person in the world who could label us sore losers for asking for a replay.

This is just too important to leave it to the 'sanctity' of the referees decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6924267.ece

France warns Ireland: keep out of Thierry Henry football scandal

S.L.F wrote: »
    I know

I edited my post

If you knew, you wouldn't have had to edit the post!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

what henry did was wrong, scandalous even. but who here would not do the same in his position for ireland to qualify? im not condoning henrys behaviour at all, just throwing it out there. i know i would especially if things were going so poorly as they were for france

It's hard to imagine what you would do in that situation especially given the pressure. Saying that I would rather lose with dignity than cheat my way to the world cup. Situations reversed and that was an Irish player, I would be happy to see us go through but it wouldn't feel right. Plus any achievement after that would be tarnished by what happened.

il spell it out for you:

you claimed i was not being patriotic because you either think im not a fan of the republics soccer team or because i think its pathetic to be boycotting gilette on the basis of last night. That there is stupid, no other word to describe it.

plus the fact you brought patriotism into the equation in the 1st place considerin the soccer team does not represent the whole island. but as i said i want to leave it at that as that is for a different thread.

clear enough for ya?

what the hell is wrong with you? why are you bringing celtic and republican songs into it? i made no mention of them whatsoever.

I said you're not patriotic because you called us "pathetic whinging idiots". You were the one that brought up the subject of questioning a person's patriotism by watching soccer. This only means one thing. Your post above is just making you look silly now, as you try to imply you meant something else by patriotism comments ..

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6924267.ece

France warns Ireland: keep out of Thierry Henry football scandal

Proper order - Fillon is right. The Irish government have no right to try & interfere in how football is organised or run & they have better things to be doing in the Dail than looking for the European Union to introduce a directive to force FIFA to introduce video refereeing into the game.

The government need to sort out the growing list of unemployed, sort out the banks, sort out the economy, but stay the f*ck out of where their nose doesn't belong & above all... stop wasting time.

I said you're not patriotic because you called us "pathetic whinging idiots". You were the one that brought up the subject of questioning a person's patriotism by watching soccer. This only means one thing. Your post above is just making you look silly now, as you try to imply you meant something else by patriotism comments ..

stop twisting things to suit your own misinterpretation. i only called people "pathetic whinging idiots" for those who wanted to boycott gillette.

never did i question ones patriotism by watching soccer. that is bull. i said it was ironic, you really ought to check the meaning of the word. stop making up stuff

Proper order - Fillon is right. The Irish government have no right to try & interfere in how football is organised or run & they have better things to be doing in the Dail than looking for the European Union to introduce a directive to force FIFA to introduce video refereeing into the game.

The government need to sort out the growing list of unemployed, sort out the banks, sort out the economy, but stay the f*ck out of where their nose doesn't belong & above all... stop wasting time.
    OT but I'd say Cowen is lamenting that all this didn't kick off in budget week. He would the thrilled to have such a distraction.

Or taking a throw. :D
    Anyway, my point was about deliberate fouls. And in my book, a deliberate foul to thwart an attack is every bit as much cheating as a deliberate hand ball is.

Fouling is breaking the rules of the game. As is a deliberate handball. Cheating is a different kettle of fish - ie., diving, in an attempt to decieve the referee.

• Advertisement

It's hard to imagine what you would do in that situation especially given the pressure. Saying that I would rather lose with dignity than cheat my way to the world cup. Situations reversed and that was an Irish player, I would be happy to see us go through but it wouldn't feel right. Plus any achievement after that would be tarnished by what happened.

so you would do it then? :p

OT but I'd say Cowen is lamenting that all this didn't kick off in budget week. He would the thrilled to have such a distraction.

Budget? What budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The more publicity this match gets the bigger chance FIFA or the French team will concede to pressure! Now even if France somehow wins the cup it will be forever tarnished by the handball unless they replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I'm still confused by all this, do people think that we should go over every qualifier match on video and replay all of them with a referee mistake, or just this one?

I mean let's say there's an offside goal allowed or a legit goal disallowed in any qualifier should that match be replayed?

Or is it just a handball that leads to a pass that leads to a goal that qualifies for national hysteria and a replay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

i only called people "pathetic whinging idiots" for those who wanted to boycott gillette.

Then thank you kindly for the insult!

Y'see, Gillette's association with Henry is based on him being some sort of epitome of manhood......the ultimate sportsman......etc, etc.

Now, I'm not saying that I'm gullible enough to fall for that crap, but if it didn't work on some level then they wouldn't be paying him millions, now would they ?

The result of this is that their brand is associated with cheating; they could have distanced themselves from it, but they chose to back him up today.

And that back-up implies "well, when all is said and done we condone cheating".....

Definitely not an organisation that I want to give my hard-earned cash to!

The more publicity this match gets the bigger chance FIFA or the French team will concede to pressure! Now even if France somehow wins the cup it will be forever tarnished by the handball unless they replay.

the more i think about it, you might actually be right. it is highly probable the french will surrender to this pressure :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

pH wrote: »
    I'm still confused by all this, do people think that we should go over every qualifier match on video and replay all of them with a referee mistake, or just this one?

I mean let's say there's an offside goal allowed or a legit goal disallowed in any qualifier should that match be replayed?

Or is it just a handball that leads to a pass that leads to a goal that qualifies for national hysteria and a replay?
    From now on it should provided the match is something of similar calibre (I.e. World Cup Playoff, quarter final e.t.c.)
    If video refereeing is introduced replays would not be needed.

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Y'see, Gillette's association with Henry is based on him being some sort of epitome of manhood......the ultimate sportsman......etc, etc.

Now, I'm not saying that I'm gullible enough to fall for that crap, but if it didn't work on some level then they wouldn't be paying him millions, now would they ?

The result of this is that their brand is associated with cheating; they could have distanced themselves from it, but they chose to back him up today.

And that back-up implies "well, when all is said and done we condone cheating".....

Definitely not an organisation that I want to give my hard-earned cash to!

thats some mighty fine straw clutching your at there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

From now on it should provided the match is something of similar calibre (I.e. World Cup Playoff, quarter final e.t.c.)
    If video refereeing is introduced replays would not be needed.

Ahh, from now on! let's say we could find a referee mistake in an earlier qualifier that Ireland won (or drew) should that also be replayed?

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    to!
    Interestingly Prime Time illustrated tonight that Henry has a bit of form on this front with Spain from a previous world cup campaign. Obviously that bit of previous didn't do him much financial harm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement