Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Match **DO NOT START OTHER MATCH THREADS**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

Moomoo1 wrote: »
    really feel for the officials here... no way they could have spotted it. I needed several replays to see it myself.
    You are a really good typist. For a blind man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

gavredking wrote: »
    I was at the game, we should have defended the free kick better, it was a striaght free kick that travelled about 40 yards

What??

We defended it perfectly. We got two of their players offside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 conor kenny

Hand Ball

Technically you can always get away with it.
    Morally you can’t.

The Courts are full of technical acquittals
    The bad guys full of grins.
    They “got away with it”
    Even though they didn’t.

When you represent a brand you must also exercise brand values.
    That’s how a brand lives.

When you represent your country, you represent your nation and your people.
    You do not represent yourself.

When you cheat and break the rules, you might get away with it technically.
    You won’t get away with it morally.

You might even win the game and travel to the sun.
    But you will leave a far bigger footprint that will be remembered forever.

Next time you see a Star getting away with it.
    Ask yourself what did he really win?

Certainly nothing worth having.
    Assuming integrity, honesty and values count in their eyes.

The only thing worse than fooling the Ref is fooling yourself.

prinz wrote: »
    Nope, he has done similar things in the past, i.e. going down holding his face v. puyol, deliberately attempting to get him booked. He's a smug git who still won't admit to what he did. Hand to ball... why can't he just say yes he handled it deliberately... o no theirry sorry it just happened to bounce off your forearm, off your fingers and land magically at the tip of your toe..

Spot on!!

How many times do we see players instinctively pull their arms upwards away from a ball as they know it is about to come close to their hands and want to avoid a handball.

I'm sick of reading the Henry didn't handball on purpose. He guided the ball for f**k sake! Some people need to watch it again!

vinylmesh wrote: »
    Just got banned indefinitely from wikipedia :(

LMAO :D

.. how?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

OutlawPete wrote: »
    LMAO :D

.. how?

"Abuse of editing privileges" :rolleyes:.

-i.e Using my account to repeatedly vandalise semi-protected pages (i think all you need to qualify as an established user is be a member for 4 days). It was an edit to "Martin Hansson" (the ref) that got me in the end. Under the list of categorys i added "Absolute tossers" :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I'm sick of reading the Henry didn't handball on purpose. He guided the ball for f**k sake! Some people need to watch it again!

Fine, watch it again, tell me, now you've got access to a slow motion replay, how many offences, apart from a handball can you see in that replay?

pH wrote: »
    Fine, watch it again, tell me, now you've got access to a slow motion replay, how many offences, apart from a handball can you see in that replay?

Apart from "a" handball.

Okay, well there was two offsides, handball 1, then handball 2 (then handball three of course).

Don't tell me your going to say the irish defenders were climbing now FFS?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Has it been mentioned alread about the Fianna Fail page?
    See: http://www.fiannafail.ie/page/s/fairplay

Cheaters complaining about cheating - it must be a day for ironic items (Texas bans marriage) LOL!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

well it ain't gonna happen
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1120/france_ireland.html

time to move on

• Advertisement

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    well it ain't gonna happen
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1120/france_ireland.html

time to move on

"Time to move on" ?

Move where? Anyone on this thread that has given their views that there should have been a replay or that video based decisions should be brought into soccer still has those same views, I would assume.

Just because FIFA have have said there won't be a replay does not change anyone's opinions on what should happen should similar situations arrive in the future.

I can't recall one person on this thread saying that there would be a replay, just that something should be done about allowing people to cheat like this in such imporant games and get away with it.

There is nothing to 'move-on' from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Keane, a tosser just for the sake of it ?
    Keane blasts Delaney & FAI

Friday, 20 November 2009 11:29
    Roy Keane had little sympathy for the Football Association of Ireland's campaign to have their controversial World Cup play-off against France replayed and said: 'What goes around comes around.'

The Ipswich Town manager's relationship with the FAI broke down following his walk-out from the Republic of Ireland training camp prior to the 2002 World Cup.

And he dismissed their calls for 'the honesty and integrity' of the sport to be protected in the wake of Thierry Henry's handball which led to France's winner in Paris on Wednesday night.

He told a press conference: 'I think the supporters deserve better, the manager (Giovanni Trapattoni) deserves better and probably most of the players deserve better, but I'm not sure the FAI deserve better.

'What goes around comes around.'

Keane pointed out that controversial decisions also went Ireland's way in the qualifying campaign, not least a harsh penalty award against Georgia which helped them to claim a 2-1 qualifying win in February.

He added: 'Ireland had their chances in the two games (against France), and they never took them. But it's the usual FAI reaction - 'we've been robbed, the honesty of the game...'

'There was one match against Georgia where Ireland got a penalty and it was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen which changed the whole course of the game.

'I don't remember the FAI after the game saying we should give them a replay.'

Talking specifically about France's winner, Keane laid the blame on Ireland's defence rather than Henry, who handled the ball before crossing for William Gallas to head in.

'I'd focus on why they didn't clear it,' he said.

'I'd be more annoyed with my defenders and my goalkeeper than Thierry Henry. How can you let the ball bounce in your six-yard box? How can you let Thierry Henry get goal-side of you?

'If the ball goes into the six-yard box, where the hell is my goalkeeper?'

Keane's antipathy towards the FAI stems back to the Pacific island of Saipan seven years ago when he left the team's pre-World Cup training camp, complaining that the facilities were sub-standard.

'People seem to forget what was going on in that World Cup, and that man (FAI chief executive John Delaney) is on about honesty. I was one of the players and he didn't have the courtesy to ring me,' he said.

'I'd been involved with Ireland since I was 15 years of age and that man didn't have the decency to make a phone call. He could have phoned me, of course he could have.'

It makes a difference to hear the interview, he seemed to be quite happy and derisive towards what's happening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

"Time to move on" ?

Move where? Anyone on this thread that has given their views that there should have been a replay or that video based decisions should be brought into soccer still has those same views, I would assume.

Just because FIFA have have said there won't be a replay does not change anyone's opinions on what should happen should similar situations arrive in the future.

I can't recall one person on this thread saying that there would be a replay, just that something should be done about allowing people to cheat like this in such imporant games and get away with it.

There is nothing to 'move-on' from.

ok well we need to get over it don't we? Nothing is going to change. It's a sickener but c'est la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Anyone see the FIFA world rankings? Just the icing on the f***ing cake tbh. France move up to 7th and Ireland slip back 2 places? You have got to be kiddin' me! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was waiting for that traitorous, self-righteous twat Keane to give his two cents. Never rated him as a player, or a man. A nothing Manager as well.

Tell you what Roy. You worry about keeping Ipswich up, without throwing your toys out of the pram as you always end up doing, and fcuk off and keep your snide opinions to yourself. You didn't give a toss about Ireland when we needed you the most so why the hell should we give a toss about a thing you say now?

There's a good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Kradock

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was waiting for that traitorous, self-righteous twat Keane to give his two cents. Never rated him as a player, or a man. A nothing Manager as well.

Tell you what Roy. You worry about keeping Ipswich up, without throwing your toys out of the pram as you always end up doing, and fcuk off and keep your snide opinions to yourself. You didn't give a toss about Ireland when we needed you the most so why the hell should we give a toss about a thing you say now?

There's a good man.

I wonder what Roy Keane's username is. Can't wait for his response.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Jip wrote: »
    Keane, a tosser just for the sake of it ?

It makes a difference to hear the interview, he seemed to be quite happy and derisive towards what's happening.

No Keane is right, Ireland competed under rules which state that the game is decided on the pitch - rules that Ireland have benefited from in the past. All teams have been on both ends of poor refereeing decisions, yes you moan about it, yes you cry "we was robbed" in your beer, but you don't escalate it to a hysterical national whining campaign.

Yes it's uncomfortable when an Irish hero points out the truth of the situation, but honestly anyone posting here about Ireland's misfortune, who didn't join a facebook group in favour of a replay for Georgia is hypocritical at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Kradock wrote: »
    I wonder what Roy Keane's username is. Can't wait for his response.:rolleyes:

I think it's something like Itseveryoneelsesfaultbutmine, I thinks he's been banned from the soccer forum a few times.

....when an Irish hero .....

I think you meant to post that in the Humour forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Yes it's uncomfortable when an Irish hero points out the truth of the situation.....

He lost his rights to be called anything of the sort years ago. The limited enough bunch of players who gave everything they had for the team are heroes.

Keane put himself before the team, and the country...repeatedly.

prinz wrote: »
    He lost his rights to be called anything of the sort years ago. The limited enough bunch of players who gave everything they had for the team are heroes.

Keane put himself before the team, and the country...repeatedly.

+1

...and yet he's STILL mythologised and romanticised as some sort of 'Warrior-Poet' type hero by some people!!!

Paul McGrath. Now there's an Irish hero and legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭ec18

Everybody Chill the fuck out I got this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was waiting for that traitorous, self-righteous twat Keane

Off topic, but I was led to believe Keane was sent home from Saipan in 2002?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

+1

...and yet he's STILL mythologised and romanticised as some sort of 'Warrior-Poet' type hero by some people!!!

And he can drink a pint too!

Good man Paul, have one on me!

/orders treble brandy

anyone posting here about Ireland's misfortune, who didn't join a facebook group in favour of a replay for Georgia is hypocritical .

No, if anyone posts here about "Ireland's misfortune" and then joins a facebook group that has been started in defense of Henry's cheating - then that is what would be hypocritical.

Your confusing being a hypocrite with being lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Henry is described in today's papers as 'repulsive', 'le cheat', 'sickening', 'seedy', 'a pariah', 'a figure of hatred and ridicule', and - thanks to the Daily Star for this one - 'a twit'.

Irish fury is completely understandable, but the feeding frenzy of moral outrage in the British press could not be less dignified if it necked 20 Bacardi Breezers and staggered through the streets of Cardiff with its knickers round its ankles.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/early-doors/article/213171/

Have to agree with that, I wonder if the frenzy will do more harm than good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

+1

except hes not irish

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/early-doors/article/213171/

Have to agree with that, I wonder if the frenzy will do more harm than good

Yeah, I agree also.

I posted yesterday also that The Sun's 'The Hand Of Frog' was 'playing the man nation and not the ball'.

They also called the officials Turnips. If any TV pundit said that (Big Ron comes to mind) they wouldn't be allowed to step foot inside another TV studio.

aDeener wrote: »
    except hes not irish

Course he's Irish .. :rolleyes:

He was conceived here. His mother was from Dublin. He grew up in Dublin orphanages and you think he isn't Irish? He's about as Irish as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I dont normally do conspiray theories, but something smells like a well packed Kebab here.

FIFA change the draw so that it is seeded.

Ireland end up being drawn away from home in their second leg.

France win by cheating.

FIFA fail to even acknowledge the incident even happened in their match report.

FIFA has said nothing other than we cant replay the match, haven't said anything about the way the match was won,the incident,Thiery Henry, Fair play, the referee, the linesman be it right,worng or indifferent.

FIFA state there is no way the match can be replayed.

The French federation are keeping their traps firmly shut, which is very un-french like. They normally have an opinion on everything.

Henry says he handled the ball (like we didnt know) but he's not the referee.

Henry comes out and states that - "It was just neccesary to exploit what was exploitable"... in other words he did what he had to do, and admitting this knowing that nothing will ever come of it.

I think personally we are being royally bum fu*ked here, and when there finished fu*king us, there telling us we are useless in the sack.

• Advertisement

whycliff wrote: »

Henry comes out and states that - "It was just neccesary to exploit what was exploitable"... in other words he did what he had to do, and admitting this knowing that nothing will ever come of it.

At the very least this demands a ban for Henry from competitive fixtures under FIFA's "Fair Play" policy for bringing the game into disrepute.

Won't hold my breath though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement