Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Match **DO NOT START OTHER MATCH THREADS**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Strange article - were the Irish in on the whole thing?
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/early-doors/article/213171/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

All I want now is FIFA to acknowledge it.....:mad: I don't care that we won't get a replay, I don't care anymore that we're not going to the World Cup, all I want is FIFA to man up and say yes they agree the referee/linesmen/henry conspired* to get that goal. But no, they still won't even mention it.:mad:

*not in a conspiracy theory sense, just in the way they each played a role, linesman - offside not seen, referee - two handballs not seen, henry - nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

prinz wrote: »
    All I want now is FIFA to acknowledge it.....:mad: I don't care that we won't get a replay, I don't care anymore that we're not going to the World Cup, all I want is FIFA to man up and say yes they agree the referee/linesmen/henry conspired* to get that goal. But no, they still won't even mention it.:mad:

*not in a conspiracy theory sense, just in the way they each played a role, linesman - offside not seen, referee - two handballs not seen, henry - nuff said.

Well if we "move on" and stop making a fuss there's ansolutely no chance of that happening. I for one am willing to help keep up an internet storm for weeks if neccesary.

If it hasn't been posted before;

http://www.fifa.com/contact/form.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

At the very least this demands a ban for Henry from competitive fixtures under FIFA's "Fair Play" policy for bringing the game into disrepute.

Won't hold my breath though.

Don't hold your breath mate!

This is completely ludicrous, are you suggesting that all players who deliberately handball should be banned from competitive fixtures? If you think that handball in the lead-up to a goal is such a serious offence then maybe the FAI should petition FIFA for a rule change, let's say a 6 month ban for all players who deliberately handball.

It would still be unfair to Henry, who under currently rules should at most have gotten a yellow card.

Or are you looking for a ban for players who handball against Ireland only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

He lost his rights to be called anything of the sort years ago. The limited enough bunch of players who gave everything they had for the team are heroes.

Keane put himself before the team, and the country...repeatedly.
    Not this bloody sh1te again. You are about 7 years too late for this kind of post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

pH wrote: »

Yeah, that's what he's looking for :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 john_d_baptist

Thierry Henry, Diego Maradona... you can take the man out of the ghetto, but you cant take the ghetto out of the man... at least Maradona used the Falkland war as his excuse, and then went on to score one of the greatest goals ever a few minutes later... Henry is just a gypsy, simple as

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Think FIFA have to take a leaf out of other sport's book and realise technology will at the very least minimise these issues from happening again.

Video Replays work very well for example in NFL - although they were very controversial when they were first brought in. The head of the referees of the league even has a weekly show explaining the controversial decisions - why can't this be done in soccer? Would help transparency and show at the very least the referees side of things.

Here is a link to a video of the Referee show on NFL. Video - Offical Review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Not this bloody sh1te again. You are about 7 years too late for this kind of post.

Yeah, exactly what I thought when I heard the most bitter man in the world giving his weekly press conference today, the arse is just short of handing in his Irish passport, what a twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

pH wrote: »
    Don't hold your breath mate!

This is completely ludicrous, are you suggesting that all players who deliberately handball should be banned from competitive fixtures? If you think that handball in the lead-up to a goal is such a serious offence then maybe the FAI should petition FIFA for a rule change, let's say a 6 month ban for all players who deliberately handball.

It would still be unfair to Henry, who under currently rules should at most have gotten a yellow card.

No. But considering the way Henry has admitted it, it brings the game into disrepute. I would have backed a ban for Maradona as well in 1986. And Eduardo as well for his simulation. I agree with Dunphy, for once, on something. Get this cheating out of the sport we love.

Btw Henry has just stated he believes there should be a replay of the match.

A cynical PR stunt after a talk with his marketing company? Probably.

"Barcelona striker Thierry Henry has today issued a statement calling for France's controversial World Cup qualifying play-off with the Republic of Ireland to be replayed.

The forward, whose handball in the run-up to William Gallas's extra-time winner for Les Bleus has led to an official request from the FAI to FIFA to replay the game, feels that a replay would be "the fairest solution".

"I have said at the time and I will say again that, yes, I handled the ball," he said, according to Sky Sports News.

"I am not a cheat and never have been. It was an instinctive reaction to a ball that was coming extremely fast in a crowded penalty area.

"As a footballer you do not have the luxury of the television to slow the pace of the ball down 100 times to be able make a conscious decision.

"People are viewing slow motion version of what happened and not what I or any other footballer faces in the game.

"If people look at it in full speed you'll see that it was an instinctive reaction.

"It is impossible to be anything other than that. I have never denied that the ball was controlled with my hand. I told the irish players, the referee and the media this after the game.

"Naturally I feel embarrassed at the way we won and feel extremely sorry for the Irish who definitely deserve to be in South Africa.

"Of course, the fairest solution would be to replay the game but it is not in my control.

"There is little more I can do apart from admit that the ball had contact with my hands leading up to our equalising goal and I feel very sorry for the Irish."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Jip wrote: »
    Yeah, exactly what I thought when I heard the most bitter man in the world giving his weekly press conference today, the arse is just short of handing in his Irish passport, what a twat.

If Keane spent as much time worrying about Ipswich's own defensive frailties and less time falling out with his own players and casting aspersions on the Irish team, Ipswich wouldn't be in the bottom three in the Championship.

Keane slagging of the likes of Given, Dunne and Kilbane, loyal servants to the Irish jersey is cheap and says all that needs to be said about this sad, twisted and bitter little man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

not sure if its been posted yet http://www.jeu-de-main.com/

Also ive mailed fifa but ive yet to get a responce back - have any of you got any answers from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

"Barcelona striker Thierry Henry has today issued a statement calling for France's controversial World Cup qualifying play-off with the Republic of Ireland to be replayed..

Just read a simmilar story;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/nov/20/thierry-henry-ireland-world-cup

This is just PR. What a dickhead. I hope nobody falls for this.

....and Keane is about 7 years too late to start getting his jollies about "what goes around comes around" - taking a dig at Delaney because he didn't call Keane about Saipan. Sorry Roy, the country being knocked out of the world cup in dodgy circumstances v. your own personal f*cking ego doesn't balance out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Since FIFA are a part of the IOC, is it possible that this could be taken to the Court of Arbitration for Sports?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Maybe we should support France; if they win the World Cup, we can then say the only reason that the new world champions won the World Cup was through bad refereeing and an obvious professional foul against Ireland, ergo Ireland are the true champions of the world!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

vinylmesh wrote: »
    Just read a simmilar story;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/nov/20/thierry-henry-ireland-world-cup

This is just PR. What a dickhead. I hope nobody falls for this.

+1

If he hadn't run off celebrating at the time then it might have been sincere.

If he'd done a "Robbie Fowler" and had indicated to the ref, then it would have been sincere.

Now it's just damage limitation and PR bull****.

He should join FF - **** up, do damage and then try to look like the good guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Nothing but damage control for his reputation.

Funny how he waited until FIFA and the French FA said nein before he made this statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I believe it can be taken all the way to the Court of Arbitration for sport, and i think they should.
    When it happened, if the french immediately came out and apologised, FIFA acknowledged the incident and Sepp Blatter Plattini & Henry weren't such smug bastards
    i would have said leave it so.
    But we are being shafted here with a broken Large Bottle of Bulmers and how some people over on the soccer forum cant see this is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Shoop

The vast majority of people 'truely outraged' by this are the same one's who, had you asked them what they thought of the Slovenia/Cyprus games would have stared at you blankley for a while before claiming "they don't care". Now, I'm not saying this is true for people here on boards, but its just that outside of this, there's people I know calling Henryy this and that and being absolutly shocked by his actions.

But what I'm saying is that these fair weather fans who only watched a portion of the Italy game at Home and the France ties solely because they were on while they were getting pissed at the pub :rolleyes:. One even claimed that I "Should stop being like a brit and support my country" because I have no real intrest in the national team, but I still watched the smaller games (Why I did still puzzles me
    !). They same person wouldn't have gone near the Tv to support his country during the smaller games (Which mattered more in the long run than teh big Italy games say in terms of points).

Also the vilifcation of Henry conpared to saintly Robbie Keane (Wow, if I could count the amount of times he's cheated before by diving :rolleyes:) and Damien Duff who BOTH ADMITTED that they would have done the same had it been at teh other end. Yet, conveniently, people ignore this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

the cheek of Henry to say we deserve a replay. One, he knows that theirs more of chance the world will end tomorow than getting a replay and secondly, hes only trying to cover he's own ass from getting f**ked. Too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Thanks for your definition of Cheating ****!

Editors reviewed your entry and have decided to not publish it.

To get a better idea of what editors publish and reject, sign up as an Urban Dictionary Editor here: http://editor.urbandictionary.com/

Urban Dictionary

Cheating ****

Thierry Henry

Thierry Henry is a cheating **** who robbed the glorious Irish Football team of a world cup position with a blatant handball

Darn. Oh well.

Dartz wrote: »
    Darn. Oh well.

Ah too bad! How could they reject such an original and hilarious entry? I''ve lost faith in humanity now....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Source:
    A senior French minister has reignited the diplomatic row surrounding Ireland's controversial defeat in the World Cup play-off by breaking ranks and suggesting Fifa should order the match to be replayed.

"I am obviously very happy that the team is in the World Cup but I think it's very sad to have qualified on this, well, on this cheating," Lagarde told France's RTL radio. "And I think that Fifa would do well to look at the rules because I think it would be good, in such circumstances, to decide maybe to replay the match."

Shoop wrote: »
    The vast majority of people 'truely outraged' by this are the same one's who, had you asked them what they thought of the Slovenia/Cyprus games would have stared at you blankley for a while before claiming "they don't care"..

If you're such a great all-weather fan, tell me this, when was the last time Ireland played Slovenia? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I had sent Thierry a tweet a few hours back saying he should demand a replay in the interest of friendship and fairplay.

Maybe he receives many similar requests and justs wants a replay now so to be left in peace.....

If you're such a great all-weather fan, tell me this, when was the last time Ireland played Slovenia? :confused:

Read my post good sir, I said I don't follow the national team. Anyways must've been Georgia or whatever....they all end in 'ia' :D

Min wrote: »
    I had sent Thierry a tweet a few hours back

I'll give him a tweet up his fecking a*se!

Hope that didn't sound sexual :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

One thing I noticed in the shops today that I didn't notice before, Wilkinson Sword has vanished.

• Advertisement

laugh wrote: »
    One thing I noticed in the shops today that I didn't notice before, Wilkinson Sword has vanished.

Fu*kin theives!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement