Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Match **DO NOT START OTHER MATCH THREADS**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Mr Roy Keane is right. All you micks need to show a stiff upper lip and move on. The French football team will grace the World Cup stage with much needed skill and poise. You boys did well on Wednesday night but now is the time to move on.
    They won't go very far with their gaelic skills in football. Roy keane can go to hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Mr Roy Keane is right. All you micks need to show a stiff upper lip and move on. The French football team will grace the World Cup stage with much needed skill and poise. You boys did well on Wednesday night but now is the time to move on.

That French side is going to be out after the group stages. They have no Zidane (or decent defence) to dig them out of trouble. Plus their manager is a clown.

And Keane may be right if he followed his own advice (i.e. get over it). But as you can see from his rant, the nothing manager hasn't even gotten over something that happened 8 years ago.

Oh btw...for how many years have the English p!ssed and moaned about Maradona's Hand of God?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭- bo -

:rolleyes:

A march.. embarassing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

That French side is going to be out after the group stages. They have no Zidane (or decent defence) to dig them out of trouble. Plus their manager is a clown.

And Keane may be right if he followed his own advice (i.e. get over it). But as you can see from his rant, the nothing manager hasn't even gotten over something that happened 8 years ago.

Oh btw...for how many years have the English p!ssed and moaned about Maradona's Hand of God?

It's ok, the troll is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

vinylmesh wrote: »
    "Abuse of editing privileges" :rolleyes:.

-i.e Using my account to repeatedly vandalise semi-protected pages (i think all you need to qualify as an established user is be a member for 4 days). It was an edit to "Martin Hansson" (the ref) that got me in the end. Under the list of categorys i added "Absolute tossers" :P.

:D:p:rolleyes:;):D:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Yep like we never hear of 'the hand of god' since the English moved on.... dude......wait!....:confused::eek:;):pac:..

The most important difference between France and Ireland is that they won by cheating.
    Roy is blaming defending and goalkeeping - they cannot do anything to prevent Thierry Henry handling the ball.
    Just Roy taking an opportunity to get the dig in, I have to say Roy looks awful in the video, looks like a man fuelled by anger:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I think Keane will get more hassle on the streets of Ireland over this interview than he did for the whole Saipan affair. This is just digusting stuff for an Irish man to sit in England and tell the Irish people to "Get over it!".

Afriad to take our chances at Croke Park? Where's that thread about who you want to punch in the side of the head?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

OutlawPete wrote: »
    F**k the 'poor loser' label. I'd support declaring war over this.

Next summer is ruined!!! Another damn World Cup summer watching everyone else play footie in the sun. :mad:

Well Said OutlawPete lol , we will be here in the summer rain ,wont be the same will it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

whycliff wrote: »
    Protest march being arranged tomorrow apparently from Lansdowne road to the french embassy!!!

http://www.facebook.com/#/pages/Petition-to-have-IRELAND-Vs-FRANCE-REPLAYED/180940979795?ref=nf

We had the banks bailout by the government with our money, we have NAMA which will inevitably take more out of our pockets & we've a seriously harsh budget on the way.. and not ONE protest from the people. A lot of whinging, but no mobilisation.

It takes a handball in Paris to get the country off it's backside. I'm baffled to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Moomoo1

Roy Keane never cared about Ireland. Roy Keane only ever cared about Roy Keane. And that's continuing now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

We had the banks bailout by the government with our money, we have NAMA which will inevitably take more out of our pockets & we've a seriously harsh budget on the way.. and not ONE protest from the people. A lot of whinging, but no mobilisation.

It takes a handball in Paris to get the country off it's backside. I'm baffled to say the least.

I know this was my reaction when I read this.

I think getting into the World Cup would have lifted spirits next Summer when we were all stuck home because of the recession though and people have accepted our government are useless and we'll still be stuck in this sorry state in 7 months but at least the country could have come together to support the lads and cheer about something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Shoop wrote: »
    The vast majority of people 'truely outraged' by this are the same one's who, had you asked them what they thought of the Slovenia/Cyprus games would have stared at you blankley for a while before claiming "they don't care". Now, I'm not saying this is true for people here on boards, but its just that outside of this, there's people I know calling Henryy this and that and being absolutly shocked by his actions.

But what I'm saying is that these fair weather fans who only watched a portion of the Italy game at Home and the France ties solely because they were on while they were getting pissed at the pub :rolleyes:. One even claimed that I "Should stop being like a brit and support my country" because I have no real intrest in the national team, but I still watched the smaller games (Why I did still puzzles me
    !). They same person wouldn't have gone near the Tv to support his country during the smaller games (Which mattered more in the long run than teh big Italy games say in terms of points).

Also the vilifcation of Henry conpared to saintly Robbie Keane (Wow, if I could count the amount of times he's cheated before by diving :rolleyes:) and Damien Duff who BOTH ADMITTED that they would have done the same had it been at teh other end. Yet, conveniently, people ignore this.

great post.
    how many people were calling for the georgia game to be replayed when georgia were robbed?
    hypocrisy at its finest, but ive come to expect nothing less from people on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

doesn't say a lot for ireland does it?

That Keano interview is hilarious - the face on him when the mobile phone goes off.. "Who's phone is that - that's the second time it went off.. can you not put it on silent?" !!!!!

It seems he actually watched the Irish games... my only question is - who's been walking his dogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Remember that this is the same Roy Keane that wanted to use the football pitch to break someone's leg; while it is bad enough that impressionable youngsters might try to copy the cheat Henry, where would we be if they tried to copy Keane ?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    where would we be if they tried to copy Keane ?

A&E, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Remember that this is the same Roy Keane that wanted to use the football pitch to break someone's leg; while it is bad enough that impressionable youngsters might try to copy the cheat Henry, where would we be if they tried to copy Keane ?

I don't have much time for Roy Keane either but what he said for the most part was spot on and it's an opinion held by a lot of people here.

I don't have much time for Roy Keane either but what he said for the most part was spot on and it's an opinion held by a lot of people here.

Some of what he said was true - the rest of it was informed by his bitterness towards the FAI - understandably so, or not.

Either way, if that had happened in a game where he was playing, he'd have been the first & most vocal of the players to call up the ref on it. There's no denying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Some of what he said was true - the rest of it was informed by his bitterness towards the FAI - understandably so, or not.

Either way, if that had happened in a game where he was playing, he'd have been the first & most vocal of the players to call up the ref on it. There's no denying that.

Who's denying that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

Its smiles all round as Domenech points to Sarkozy left hand:confused::eek::eek::confused::eek::eek::eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWeu2BhfG7o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Greyfox

He let the team down in Saipan.

I know enough about football to place Paul McGrath, John Giles, Liam Brady (who I remember seeing play for Ireland and Juventus) ahead of Keane in terms of best players Ireland has produced. The Keane 'Myth' stems from Turin in 1999. Fine he had an outstanding game. Same in 2001 against Holland. But the Keane 'Myth' has us believe he 'single-handedly' got us to the World Cup then which is patently not true.

McGrath's performance for Ireland against Italy in New York in 1994 eclipses both of Keane's performances. He marked Baggio and Signori out of the game even though he was injured and was an absolute colossus. Baggio, the best player in the world at the time.

Keane is entitled to an opinion, but when it so crassly put, so dripping in bile and highly hypocritical (telling the Irish to 'get over' the result when he wails about the FAI and Saipan 8 years ago!) it shows him up for the bitter little man he is.

And judging from people's reaction to his infantile rant, Keane won't be a 'God', to an ever dwindling percentage of Irish btw, for much longer

No he didn't

No actually he's just giving his opinion, and it would appear that the media still value his opinion a lot!

Your having a laugh, he played well in lots of Ireland games and he was also ManU's best player for a number of years! Well Keane in Turin was a much better performance that McGraths heroics in New York!

Keane is still Irelands most popular sports/former sports star.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Keane is still Irelands most popular sports/former sports star.

Give me wee Barry anyday of the week, over that mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭fj1200

Try your hand at this:D

http://www.jeu-de-main.com/

he was also ManU's best player for a number of years! Well Keane in Turin was a much better performance that McGraths heroics in New York!

I don't care how good he was for Utd. It's irrelevant to me. And no - I'm not a follower of any of Utd's rivals so it ain't ABU bias. If you are a Utd fan of course you're going to say Turin was better than New York given the 'treble' they won that year.

But for me, in terms of fearless courage, grit, determination and skill, McGrath in New York in '94 wins.

Hand's Down.

Keane in Turin or Keane v Holland don't even come close.

where would we be if they tried to copy Keane ?

Actually if we did football would be in a far better condition, Keane was a professional who always gave 100% on the pitch, theirs not many players playing today that do the same!

I think what he said was very harsh and I didn't like the fact that he didn't comment on how well we played but I think we do need to get over it, it's a horrible way to lose and I was gutted with the result..sadly though these kind of riddiculous decisions happen from time to time in football and their going to continue to happen for quite some time!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yawn. I'm so over this match stuff. I have Thierry Ennui.

Greyfox wrote: »
    we do need to get over it

This "Get over it" crap is really getting on my fu*king nerves.

People will get over it when it they want to get over it and not when you tell them to, okay?.

It's only been 48 hours since we were cheated out of a place in the World Cup.

Why don't YOU (and people like you) GET OVER the fact that people may want to vent for a week or two??

This "Get over it" crap is really getting on my fu*king nerves.

People will get over it when it they want to get over it and not when you tell them to, okay?.

It's only been 48 hours since we were cheated out of a place in the World Cup.

Why don't YOU (and people like you) GET OVER the fact that people may want to vent for a week or two??

Exactly.

I knew Keane would comment and what annoys me is not that Keane said 'Get Over It', because while I am annoyed with what happened, it does happen in football and life.

But when he says 'Get over It' and then turns around and harks back to Saipan making a complete hypocrite of himself in the process!! That p!sses me off. Also castigating a team that had fought like Lions for the best part of 2hrs of football and giving them no credit?

Yet he still has his sycophants willing to defend him to the death.

Because your venting is falling on deaf ears, Fifa don't care about us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Exactly.

I knew Keane would comment and what annoys me is not that Keane said 'Get Over It', because while I am annoyed with what happened, it does happen in football and life.

But when he says 'Get over It' and then turns around and harks back to Saipan making a complete hypocrite of himself in the process!! That p!sses me off. Also castigating a team that had fought like Lions for the best part of 2hrs of football and giving them no credit?

Yet he still has his sycophants willing to defend him to the death.

Well he is offering a different view even if it is rather harsh. And anyone half acquainted with his ways knows that he doesn’t do cheerleading. His substantive points were that Ireland should have been out of sight in the tie before the handball came to pass. And that the defending from the free kick was poor. Hard to argue with either point. And I think he did acknowledge that the Irish (players & supporters) did deserve to go to the finals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement