Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Match **DO NOT START OTHER MATCH THREADS**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 frank33

If france manage to go on and win the world cup then the world cup
    2010 will have been won by way of a cheat and everyone will know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

aDeener wrote: »
    crux of the equation right there.

Symantics.

The momentum was with us. Had we not have went on to score another goal then Shay would have saved a peno or two for us.

He robbed us of a place in the world cup. Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

crux of the equation right there.

Why are you so against people fighting for this? Is it because you don't like football, you don't like the Irish been the center of attention, or you simply don't like the fact that people are showing an interest in something you don't like?

Either way, it's pathetic that you cannot see why people want to see action taken over this

yes cheating happens in lots of football games, but if the Ireland game is going to be the one that makes FIFA take notice that people want change, then so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

what sort of retarded rubbish is that? we were not cheated out of a place in the world cup. we were cheated out of penalties ffs, no guarantee whatsoever we were going to pull through that. highly unlikely imo

Eh it was thanks to cheating that we did not have a chance to have an even playing field in a penalty shootout.
    We might have won the penalty shoot out, we might not. Who knows ?
    But thanks to a double deliberate handball a goal was scored which denied us that chance and thus possibly denied us a chance of going to the world cup.

That goal was the decider.

Do you think people would be complaining if he had hit a beautiful shot, like he did few years ago in Landsdowne Road, to equalise the game ?

BTW it was still cheating, whether it meant us going to world cup or not.

Also if you don't want to discuss this or listen to others discussing it, then feel free to view another thread, another forum, another TV channel. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Why are you so against people fighting for this? Is it because you don't like football, you don't like the Irish been the center of attention, or you simply don't like the fact that people are showing an interest in something you don't like?

Either way, it's pathetic that you cannot see why people want to see action taken over this

yes cheating happens in lots of football games, but if the Ireland game is going to be the one that makes FIFA take notice that people want change, then so be it

what the fcuk are you talking about? i had a big interest in the match and was disappointed as anyone else to lose, but the way people are going on that we were cheated out of the world cup is bullshit. unless of course they have a magical crystal ball that can forsee the outcome of penalties.

What i find pathetic are the following:

1. the petition to boycott gillette ffs :rolleyes:
    2. labelling henry every bad name under sun, over a bloody game.
    3. the hypocrisy of calling for a replay, when no one was calling for the georgia macth to be replayed.

so dont go calling me pathetic when people are actually doing the above. absurd

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    Eh it was thanks to cheating that we did not have a chance to have an even playing field in a penalty shootout.
    We might have won the penalty shoot out, we might not. Who knows ?
    But thanks to a double deliberate handball a goal was scored which denied us that chance and thus possibly denied us a chance of going to the world cup.

That goal was the decider.

Do you think people would be complaining if he had hit a beautiful shot, like he did few years ago in Landsdowne Road, to equalise the game ?

BTW it was still cheating, whether it meant us going to world cup or not.

Also if you don't want to discuss this or listen to others discussing it, then feel free to view another thread, another forum, another TV channel. :rolleyes:

exactly.

And il discuss whatever i like, whether you appreciate my views or not

And il discuss whatever i like, whether you appreciate my views or not

Good, and so will we!

Nobody on here is trying to stop you having YOUR say, or suggest that what you have to say is "retarded" now are they? Get over yourself ffs.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Good, and so will we!

Nobody on here is trying to stop you having YOUR say, or suggest that what you have to say is "retarded" now are they? Get over yourself ffs.

well i was advised to move onto other threads if you cared to read the other posts. Also it was assumed, ridiculusly that i had no interest in the match :rolleyes:

yup thats right my name is url, i had no interest in the match hence why im posting on a thread about it :rolleyes:

what the fcuk are you talking about? i had a big interest in the match and was disappointed as anyone else to lose, but the way people are going on that we were cheated out of the world cup is bullshit. unless of course they have a magical crystal ball that can foresee the outcome of penalties.

What i find pathetic are the following:

1. the petition to boycott gillette ffs :rolleyes:
    2. labelling henry every bad name under sun, over a bloody game.
    3. the hypocrisy of calling for a replay, when no one was calling for the georgia macth to be replayed.

so dont go calling me pathetic when people are actually doing the above. absurd

The things you listed there may seem pointless in relation to what happens on the field

about the Georgia game.. nobody was stopping anyone from playing that up, it didn't happen, simple as

what happened on Wednesday night was played up, and is likely to impact the way football is governed as a whole, that can't be a bad thing, and it won't be of benefit to only Ireland if it happens

you're first post in this thread was in reply to this -
    Well done to the Irish lads, they did us proud.

before any mention of replays or boycotts.. and this is what you had to say to it -
    by losing a match the french were doing their best to lose, please

i hope we dont wallow in yet another "moral victory" its all this side seems to be good for

and although Ireland were not cheated out of the World Cup, they were cheated out of the chance of going out of it in a way which was fair to the fans and players

The things you listed there may seem pointless in relation to what happens on the field

about the Georgia game.. nobody was stopping anyone from playing that up, it didn't happen, simple as

what happened on Wednesday night was played up, and is likely to impact the way football is governed as a whole, that can't be a bad thing, and it won't be of benefit to only Ireland if it happens

you're first post in this thread was in reply to this -

before any mention of replays or boycotts.. and this is what you had to say to it -

and although Ireland were not cheated out of the World Cup, they were cheated out of the chance of going out of it in a way which was fair to the fans and players

would you think it right for it to have been replayed? so cheating is ok once it isnt "played up"?

i dont see what is wrong with the first post, it holds true. people are celebrating the team but they still lost as they have been doing for years. they should have won the match easily in normal time long before ny handball.
    i cannot stand that. i think it is a terrible road to be going down looking for replays regardless of blatant cheating and incorrect decisions. no match result would ever be final if such a system was implemented as matches can be decided on the slightest of things.

• Advertisement

well i was advised to move onto other threads if you cared to read the other posts.

Advice to save you further embarassment it would seem and not to prevent you from airing your views.
    Also it was assumed, ridiculusly that i had no interest in the match :rolleyes:

Not "ridiculas" at all. You sound so blahsay about what happened, that to suggest your not too interested sounds like a good call to me.
    yup thats right my name is url, i had no interest in the match hence why im posting on a thread about it :rolleyes:

Well, some people are trolls and will post in threads they have no interest in just to get a reaction. I'm not suggesting for a second that's what your doing mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

i cannot stand that. i think it is a terrible road to be going down looking for replays regardless of blatant cheating and incorrect decisions. no match result would ever be final if such a system was implemented as matches can be decided on the slightest of things.

Could you imagine all the replays Chelsea would have to play with Drogba throwing himself all over the place. FIFA have said no to video replays. It's not going to happen. I wouldn't be happy to give France a replay if the shoe was on the other foot. To run an online petition looking for a replay is one thing but to sign it is dillusional.

We lost. I got over it, so should everybody else.

people are celebrating the team but they still lost as they have been doing for years.

That's the best we have played in years, why shouldn't people tell it how it is. Should we just bad mouth the team even though the majority of the players played their hearts out and had the game cheated from them??

Advice to save you further embarassment it would seem and not to prevent you from airing your views.

Not "ridiculas" at all. You sound so blahsay about what happened, that to suggest your not too interested sounds like a good call to me.

Well, some people are trolls and will post in threads they have no interest in just to get a reaction. I'm not suggesting for a second that's what your doing mind.

if you were going to make fun of my typo you could at least have quoted it correctly!:rolleyes:

embarrasment? how so? i would like for you to point out anything i have said which is untrue

winston82 wrote: »
    Could you imagine all the replays Chelsea would have to play with Drogba throwing himself all over the place. FIFA have said no to video replays. It's not going to happen. I wouldn't be happy to give France a replay if the shoe was on the other foot. To run an online petition looking for a replay is one thing but to sign it is dillusional.

if i could thank you twice i would. that just sums up how idiotic it is to be looking for games to be replayed.

Serie A and La Liga would never get past round 1 :p

God, this is so tiresome. Why should everybody else do what YOU have done? Who the f*** are you that EVERYBODY should do what YOU do??

Have you nothing original to say than than the old 'get over it' .. do people get a kick out of saying this or what?

It's the same type of person that, when someone posts on the Motor forum, and says .. "I have a parking fine I forgot to pay, anyone know what I should do now" .. they'll come on and say .. "You should have paid it on time" .. yeah, very helpful :rolleyes:

How about you do what countless others, that HAVE gotten over it, have done and plod along and read some other threads.

if you were going to make fun of my typo you could at least have quoted it correctly!:rolleyes:

embarrasment? how so? i would like for you to point out anything i have said which is untrue

What typo??? I didn't even see a f**king typo!! Let alone make fun of it .. :rolleyes:

What typo??? I didn't even see a f**king typo!! Let alone make fun of it .. :rolleyes:

ok fair enough i thought your "riduculas" was a go at me, never mind.

anyway, care to address what i have said that is untrue?

That's the best we have played in years, why shouldn't people tell it how it is. Should we just bad mouth the team even though the majority of the players played their hearts out and had the game cheated from them??

and the best couldnt win the match over the course of 2 legs in normal time. excuse me for being sick of defeats.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

ok fair enough i thought your "riduculas" was a go at me, never mind.

anyway, care to address what i have said that is untrue?

Chaps this scuffle is getting a bit off topic. If ye want to keep going I can set ye up a thunderdome thread but if you want to keep it civil then please do.

Most popular article on BBC right now:
    For a nation not particularly known for its moral qualms - it once hailed a head-butting footballer as a hero - the French feel surprisingly chastened about their questionable qualification for next year's World Cup.

Reactions to Thierry Henry's handball, which led to the goal that sent the national team to the South African finals at the expense of the hapless Irish, have ranged from embarrassment to outrage.

The incident in Wednesday's game has been commented on in newspapers, on websites, and in cafes up and down France.

It has even become of affair of state, with politicians weighing in. President Nicolas Sarkozy felt obliged to tell Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen that he felt sorry for his people.

In an online poll for Le Monde, almost two-thirds of respondents agreed that the handball "discredits France's qualification".

Le Parisien newspaper summarised the national mood: "The handball of Henry has brought a decisive contribution to the theme 'being French is being ashamed of one's national team'."

In the leading sports newspaper L'Equipe, former France international Emmanuel Petit wrote that there was "nothing glorious" about the outcome, and that France should keep a "low profile".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8372123.stm

• Advertisement

and the best couldnt win the match over the course of 2 legs in normal time. excuse me for being sick of defeats.

The match wasn't over, so to say "the best couldnt win the match over the course of 2 legs in normal time" is a nonsense.

It was 1-1 and we had them on the ropes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I think the outrage and anger and even some of the sillier suggestions were perfectly understandably in the immediate aftermath of the match and even for a while after if you are an Ireland fan. But then after a period of reflection some of us take a wider view, such as the fact that like it or not, deliberately breaking the rules to gain an advantage is part of the game and one could easily find a dozen examples in any game including ones with the current Irish players, that some of the Irish players readily admit that they would do the same as Henry if they got the chance, that refs some times miss things or get them wrong, sometimes to your advantage (e.g. Georgia) sometimes not. But it seems some folk are completely oblivious to all this and act as if there was a unique wrong done to Ireland that was never dealt to any other team in the history of the game. Sometimes you get the rub of the green, sometimes not. The only real difference here was that there was a huge amount at stake. I don't want to irk anybody with those three words :P... but we have had our OTT princess Diana moment. Time to move on.

The match wasn't over, so to say "the best couldnt win the match over the course of 2 legs in normal time" is a nonsense.

It was 1-1 and we had them on the ropes.

it was going to penalties, all that went before would have been irrelevant. still would have been 50-50 as to who would have won but if i were to bet id say france. to say for definite ireland were robbed of going to SA is plain false, they were robbed of a 50-50 chance to go to SA

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I've no interest in soccer whatsoever, but I think that FIFA's ignorance is a fucking disgrace. It must be time for an alternative international body to be set up that has some integrity, and not one that is deaf and blind.

lugha wrote: »
    I think the outrage and anger and even some of the sillier suggestions were perfectly understandably in the immediate aftermath of the match and even for a while after if you are an Ireland fan. But then after a period of reflection some of us take a wider view, such as the fact that like it or not, deliberately breaking the rules to gain an advantage is part of the game and one could easily find a dozen examples in any game including ones with the current Irish players, that some of the Irish players readily admit that they would do the same as Henry if they got the chance, that refs some times miss things or get them wrong, sometimes to your advantage (e.g. Georgia) sometimes not. But it seems some folk are completely oblivious to all this and act as if there was a unique wrong done to Ireland that was never dealt to any other team in the history of the game. Sometimes you get the rub of the green, sometimes not. The only real difference here was that there was a huge amount at stake. I don't want to irk anybody with those three words :P... but we have had our OTT princess Diana moment. Time to move on.

run now, before they get the pitch forks ready!! thats not a popular phrase around here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

run now, before they get the pitch forks ready!! thats not a popular phrase around here!
    No, "get over it" is the offending phrase! :D

lugha wrote: »
    Time to move on.

Another one ... *yikes .. tearing my hair out .. suffering succotash*

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Another one ... *yikes .. tearing my hair out .. suffering succotash*

:pac:
    Could be worse. These things are often down to a lucky break. I'm still gutted about the whole thing but I don't hold out much hope of a re-match. Even if there is a re-match it still doesn't redress the balance. Do they play it off from 1-1 or is our goal now not on the score board? It's not going to happen but if it did it still wouldn't really be fair. If it brings a bit of video tech into the game, maybe just for goals or penalty decisions where a lengthy stoppage is usually the result then that would be a benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Have you nothing original to say than than the old 'get over it' .. do people get a kick out of saying this or what?

It's the same type of person that, when someone posts on the Motor forum, and says .. "I have a parking fine I forgot to pay, anyone know what I should do now" .. they'll come on and say .. "You should have paid it on time" .. yeah, very helpful :rolleyes:

Peolpe can post what they like. It's a discussion board for discussion. i'm not being abusive. Maybe you should stop telling people what they should or shouldn't say.
    I recieved that online petition at least 5 times via email. Each time i responded "Get over it, we lost".

Also, imo, video replays would not be good for the game. Its football, stuff happens that we don't agree with all the time. We have to be able to take a good beating, even if we strongly disagree.

• Advertisement

Also, imo, video replays would not be good for the game. Its football, stuff happens that we don't agree with all the time. We have to be able to take a good beating, even if we strongly disagree.

It works well in Rugby, why not football?

taking a beating is fine as long as it's a fair beating, same goes for winning imo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement