Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Match **DO NOT START OTHER MATCH THREADS**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else think that we should just find something else to be annoyed about now. I have an odd feeling this thread will still be going next june. :D

It's only been three days.

You can't discuss anything anymore without people saying 'this has gone on long enough'.

Stephen Gately's death, Michael Jackson's etc .. the next day people were saying 'enough already' .. I just don't get it myself and I might understand it if it was compulsory for everyone on Boards to have read every single post on every single thread.

God knows Boards.ie is big enough. Find a thread that insterests you and let people be for the love of god.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else think that we should just find something else to be annoyed about now. I have an odd feeling this thread will still be going next june. :D

I sincerely hope this thread is still alive next June, I sincerely hope that the worlds mee-ja keeps the fires stoked against the French as I truly hope that the majority of the fans boo the French and treat them with the lack of respect they showed to the game.

3days is nothing, I'm still gutted to the core. I cant shake the feeling I'm so upset. I do feel some consolation from the support we got from across the globe and hopefully if continues onto June next year.

These are who I am annoyed at in order:

FIFA
    Ref's
    FFF
    Henry
    Roy
    McShane

But all the above is just filler for the mind, at the end of the day we are not going to the world cup and that one horrific realization is the one that hits me like caramel cod in the face, Trap and the boys are the guys who should be going.(fcuk I'm welling up again....)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Is it instinctive for a striker to use his hand???? NO!!

Its instinctive for a man to cheat?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/domenech-blocked-replay-1950705.html
    If Domenech had relented, the FFF would have agreed to the Irish request and the FAI had been privately assured that FIFA would have allowed the game to take place and, in fact, they would have welcomed the chance to demonstrate that their commitment to fair play and integrity was more than just rhetoric.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

If Domenech had relented, the FFF would have agreed to the Irish request and the FAI had been privately assured that FIFA would have allowed the game to take place and, in fact, they would have welcomed the chance to demonstrate that their commitment to fair play and integrity was more than just rhetoric.
    Yes, I read that story although you would have to wonder about its credibility. From where does a coach who is on the cusp of being fired get the authority to stand alone against his players, his federation and the fans?

I found Eamonn Sweeney piece in the same paper to be, not for the first time, on the money.

I particularly like the following …
    We can ignore the worthless wafflings of Ahern, Cullen and Cowen. It may not be fair that Henry got away with handball but these bandwagon jumpers are in no position to be talking about justice. The ref missed the handball Dermot, just like you missed the evidence of Ray Burke's corruption when Bertie sent you looking for it.
    He made a mistake Martin, just like you did when you ordered that computerised voting system. He chickened out of making a tough decision Brian, just like you've been doing for years. The injustice suffered by the footballers is nothing compared to that suffered by people your economic policies have put out of work, many of whom will lose their houses as a result. That's what you should be worrying about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Domenech is a smelly ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Sorry, but that is 100% bull****!

Was Robbie deliberately offside ?
    Was there deliberately no handball ?

We're not talking general refereeing mistakes here; we're talking about blatant cheating!!!!

The above ARE annoying, and I'd be uncomfortable with them, but they are significantly different.

My question was

I guess the answer is "there was none".

the lack of honesty by the irish players after the penalty was awarded and scored was very deliberate. i note quite a lot of people here giving out about henry celebrating after the goal, why arent they giving out about keane the way he celebrated after scoreing against georgia when there was no way in hell it should have been a peno?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

aDeener wrote: »
    the lack of honesty by the irish players after the penalty was awarded and scored was very deliberate. i note quite a lot of people here giving out about henry celebrating after the goal, why arent they giving out about keane the way he celebrated after scoreing against georgia when there was no way in hell it should have been a peno?

But there was no cheating for the penalty Ireland were awarded. The Irish players hardly knew what had happened. Henry (le cúnt) blatantly cheated to set up the goal. Handballs are severely criticised whenever they cause a goal and the players are royally embarrassed on a huge scale.

Platini and Sepp are being penetrated by the corporate dick of the earning power of France over Ireland which is why they don't make a big deal over the whole thing.

the lack of honesty by the irish players after the penalty was awarded and scored was very deliberate.

Hang on.

First of all Robbie looked bemused and I think he thought the referee seen something that maybe he didn't. The players did not look like they knew that it shouldn't have been a peno. They look bemused and happy, as they should.

It is then up to Georgia to complain to FIFA and I doubt one Irish person with begrude them lodging an appeal and feeling hard done by.

However, this situation can not be compared to a professional footballer who week in week out has an EMBEDDED INSTINCT to keep his hands away from a ball.

If you watch kids playing football in your local park you will see them instinctively pulling their hands away as a ball bounces just in case THE BALL makes contact with their arms.

Henry is a seasoned pro. You could 'possibly' make an argument that the first time the ball made contact with his hand was accidently.

Allthough after viewing it so many times I am beginning to doubt this also as the trajectory (always wanted to use that word :D) of the ball was obvious so he might have deliberately postioned his hand there.

In any case, the second touch belonged on a basketball court and was the worse case I have seen of deliberate cheating since Maradonna's 'hand of God'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I was just in PC world in Liffey Valley who are doing an "Henry recycling scheme".

If you have a jersey with Henry's name on the back, you can trade it in and get a discount on a laptop! LOL!

• Advertisement

phasers wrote: »
    I was just in PC world in Liffey Valley who are doing an "Henry recycling scheme".

I wonder how many people are gonna turn up with their Hoover.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Is it instinctive for a striker to use his hand???? NO!!

Its instinctive for a man to cheat?

So what you're saying is that every player who sets foot onto a pitch is going out there to instintively cheat? BS.

As for this question.

Is it instinctive for a striker to use his hand????

It is an instinct. Yes, he did it deliberately but it's a last minute instinct which, though late, he admitted he handled the ball.

All players have instincts. Defenders use their arms to gain leverage to head the ball away. Strikers have the instinct to back into defenders to draw a foul.

All players have their instincts.

Henry's instinct was to control the ball and he did so with his hand. Yes it was wrong and yes it resulted in us being knocked out of the World Cup.

Many players have done it before and will continue to do it.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Many players have done it before and will continue to do it.

Which players and which incidents? (apart from Maradonna)

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Hang on.

First of all Robbie looked bemused and I think he thought the referee seen something that maybe he didn't. The players did not look like they knew that it shouldn't have been a peno. They look bemused and happy, as they should.

It is then up to Georgia to complain to FIFA and I doubt one Irish person with begrude them lodging an appeal and feeling hard done by.

However, this situation can not be compared to a professional footballer who week in week out has an EMBEDDED INSTINCT to keep his hands away from a ball.

If you watch kids playing football in your local park you will see them instinctively pulling their hands away as a ball bounces just in case THE BALL makes contact with their arms.

Henry is a seasoned pro. You could 'possibly' make an argument that the first time the ball made contact with his hand was accidently.

Allthough after viewing it so many times I am beginning to doubt this also as the trajectory (always wanted to use that word :D) of the ball was obvious so he might have deliberately postioned his hand there.

In any case, the second touch belonged on a basketball court and was the worse case I have seen of deliberate cheating since Maradonna's 'hand of God'.

if he was so bemused why didnt he plead for no penalty? its something an honest player would do. paolo di canio would do it. he knew it didnt deserve to be a penalty, took it anyway, scored and celebrated. cheating? depends on your defintion. unbelievably similiar to the henry incident.
    but everyone is harping about "fair play", why should it be up to georgia to lodge a complaint? could the decent skins that are the FAI and keane et al not come out and ask for it? them being to honest and full of integrity and all.....

if he was so bemused why didnt he plead for no penalty?

Cause for all he knew the ref was correct in awarding it. You take your luck where you get it.

Henry made his, to put it mildly.
    paolo di canio would do it.

Don't mind the fella :)
    why should it be up to georgia to lodge a complaint?

Eh, cause it was them that were hard done by a bunch of bafoons. Who else do you expect to lodge a complaint for them?

Which players and which incidents? (apart from Maradonna)

Plenty of players have controlled the ball with their hand. I never said that all of them controlled the ball in a goal scoring opportunity.

Alan Smith for Newcastle about 2 weeks ago controlled the ball with his hand.

Costinha for Portugal in the World Cup one year.

Messi against Espanyol.

Plenty more examples.

I never said that all of them controlled the ball in a goal scoring opportunity.

But that is what we are talking about.

If he did it in the middle of the pitch I doubt there would be the same uproar. Where he cheated is very important.

Cause for all he knew the ref was correct in awarding it. You take your luck where you get it.

Henry made his, to put it mildly.

Don't mind the fella :)

Eh, cause it was them that were hard done by a bunch of bafoons. Who else do you expect to lodge a complaint for them?

in the interests of fair play, could the FAI not have done so? or does it only matter when the shoe is on the other foot?

But that is what we are talking about.

If he did it in the middle of the pitch I doubt there would be the same uproar. Where he cheated is very important.

Well then Messi against Espanyol is valid then. He guided the ball in with his hand and it was alllowed.

Well then Messi against Espanyol is valid then. He guided the ball in with his hand and it was alllowed.

Cheating bas*tard! I call for a replay!!:D

• Advertisement

in the interests of fair play, could the FAI not have done so?

No, because nobody deliberately cheated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

the lack of honesty by the irish players after the penalty was awarded and scored was very deliberate.

Even if we allow for the fact that you're ignoring the main issue, and also attributing a "lack of honesty" where all there would have been was surprise, the key part above is that your accusation of dishonesty applies to AFTER the goal was scored, not BEFORE.
    i note quite a lot of people here giving out about henry celebrating after the goal, why arent they giving out about keane the way he celebrated after scoreing against georgia when there was no way in hell it should have been a peno?

Firstly, the reason people are highlighting this is because Henry CLAIMS that he ran over to the ref and said that he handled it......when replays show him doing nothing of the sort.

How does Robbie know what the ref gave it for ? Your scenario is COMPLETELY different, because Robbie didn't know, while Henry would have known PRECISELY what it was given for.

Robbie committed no deliberate cheat or foul; Henry did.

Refereeing mistakes happen; I wish they didn't (and having seen Spurs done out of a goal-of-the-season against ManUre, I'd be with you if we could weed them out, but that's a whole other argument).

But the issue is that Henry DELIBERATELY handled the ball - at the very LEAST the second time. THAT is CHEATING.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Even if we allow for the fact that you're ignoring the main issue, and also attributing a "lack of honesty" where all there would have been was surprise, the key part above is that your accusation of dishonesty applies to AFTER the goal was scored, not BEFORE.

Firstly, the reason people are highlighting this is because Henry CLAIMS that he ran over to the ref and said that he handled it......when replays show him doing nothing of the sort.

How does Robbie know what the ref gave it for ? Your scenario is COMPLETELY different, because Robbie didn't know, while Henry would have known PRECISELY what it was given for.

Robbie committed no deliberate cheat or foul; Henry did.

Refereeing mistakes happen; I wish they didn't (and having seen Spurs done out of a goal-of-the-season against ManUre, I'd be with you if we could weed them out, but that's a whole other argument).

But the issue is that Henry DELIBERATELY handled the ball - at the very LEAST the second time. THAT is CHEATING.

my previous post was worded poorly, i meant both before and after.

robbie keane is a professional a long time now he knew right well what it was for. it had to have been for a "handball", he could have said to the ref it wasnt a handball, he could have sai it in an intervew after. instead it was brushed aside because we came out on the right side of it. thats cheating too in my books. certainly extremely dishonest

No, because nobody deliberately cheated.

keane deliberately said nothing as dd the rest of the irish squad and supporters. thats dishonest

robbie keane is a professional a long time now he knew right well what it was for.

He may have known what the penalty was awarded for, as maybe the ref said it, but he DID NOT know if it had happened or not. The ball ricocheted and then the whistle was blown. For all he knew the ref was correct.
    thats cheating too in my books. certainly extremely dishonest

Your not seeing the fact that no irish player deliberately cheated! People can not keep saying this to you.

That Georgia match is an argument for video evidence being brought in but, again - nobody 'deliberately' cheated and so it has no value in this discussion, imo.

keane deliberately said nothing as dd the rest of the irish squad and supporters. thats dishonest

Nonsense. Referees have making errors like that since the game began. They think they see a handball and give a peno. That's just an error.

This is about cheating, not about a referee error, although it is quite astonishing how the officials missed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Lol the commentator started going nuts there as soon as he'd scored. Diego Armando Maradona! Diego Armando Maradona!!!

Aguero did something similar in a league match v Recre. It's in this compliation.

Forgot about Raul's one in 2001 against Leeds. How did the ref miss it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

my previous post was worded poorly, i meant both before and after.

Really ? Because your post was VERY specific:

And even now, you're talking about "when it was awarded", "in an interview afterwards", etc, etc.

So you are covering up - but obviously very aware of - the FACT that there was NO CHEATING; they did NOTHING illegal or dishonest or unsporting to influence the awarding of the penalty.

Henry, on the other hand, did something 100% illegal and dishonest and unsporting in order to influence the awarding of the goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Embarrassment on a cosmic scale.

I knew by the end of the week I would swing from genuine outrage to detesting the Irish "football public", government, tabloid rags and other bluffers that are getting involved:

Thierry Henry was confronted by an 8ft poster of himself emblazoned with the words "I'm sorry" when he departed Barcelona's training ground this afternoon as the fall-out continues after his handball against the Republic of Ireland. But Pep Guardiola defended the French captain, claiming the handball was not deliberate, and included him in the squad to face Athletic Bilbao tomorrow. The Barcelona coach did add, however, that Henry is "not proud" of what he has done and called for the introduction of video evidence for contentious decisions.

Henry simply drove past after a reporter from the Sunday World newspaper in Ireland brought the banner to Barcelona's Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper in San Juan Despi. The banner showed Henry's face with the slogan "I Thierry Henry apologise to the Irish people for using my hand to knock them out of the World Cup finals".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/nov/20/thierry-henry-barcelona-pep-guardiola

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    I knew by the end of the week I would swing from genuine outrage to detesting the Irish "football public", government, tabloid rags and other bluffers that are getting involved:

Quite strong and strange that you would "detest" the Irish 'football public' and yet defend a deliberate cheat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement