Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Match **DO NOT START OTHER MATCH THREADS**

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

stovelid wrote: »
    True. I remember the outrage that swept Ireland when Diego Maradona committed the Hand of God against the Brits.

What point are you trying to make? Or are you just having a sarcasm day?

PH implied Liam was just trying to wash away Ireland's fouls and only seeing Henry's foul and my point is that the 'footballing world' was outraged by what Henry did also, instantly! It was not just becuase we somehow convinced the 'footballing world' to see something that wasn't there.

The fact that Ireland couldn't care less about England going out of the World Cup cause of Maradonna (while at the same time there was a 'Shoot To Kill' policy in Northern Ireland) has got f**k all to do with this and cannot and should not be compared to our situation at all, well - at least not by anyone with half a brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Crow71

I heard a rumour yesterday that slovenia could be thrown out over match-fixing and replaced with Ireland, i doubt its true but did anyone else hear it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Crow71 wrote: »
    I heard a rumour yesterday that slovenia could be thrown out over match-fixing and replaced with Ireland, i doubt its true but did anyone else hear it??

Surely the Ruskies would get Slovenia's slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

OutlawPete wrote: »
    For God sake man. The whole footballing world was outraged at what Henry did. It wasn't just the Irish. You make it sound like this happens in important matches all the time and only the Irish people complained it would have been ignored.

Yeah...Henry was barracked by 40,000 Athletic Bilbao fans over the weekend about the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

pH wrote: »
    Strange that fouls committed by your team are always innocuous grey incidents, while those committed by the opposition are outrageous acts of blatant cheating, ever wondered why that is?

Where did you get the ALWAYS from ? What other incidents or matches have you seen me talk about ?

:rolleyes: You're making stuff up....wonder why that is ?

I generally try not to engage with people who talk through their backsides in this manner, but I will tell you CATEGORICALLY that if any Irish player did EXACTLY what Henry had done, I would be judging it in the same manner and embarrassed that we were going to the World Cup, and hoping that he would be sanctioned in an effort to show that we weren't gloating about getting through.

In that scenario, I would also be perfectly happy if there was a replay, as it would it give us a chance to prove that we deserved a place and weren't only there because of cheating.

That is 100% FACT; so quit talking through your arse about things that you know nothing about.

In fact, if you were ever at, or watching, a match with me, you would know that while (as any fan would) I'll debate the borderline ones, I have a reputation for (a) seeing and calling marginal offsides or fouls against my own team (usually accompanied by a groan of "don't!!! bollox, that was stupid") and (b) being all for winning fairly and squarely, and ONLY fairly and squarely.

Are there minor issues, or borderline ones, that we gloss over ? Probably. But there's no point in even discussing those if there's no will on the part of FIFA to stamp out the massive blatant ones FIRST.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

OutlawPete wrote: »
    What point are you trying to make?

That most people are not going mad because the purity of football has been offended. They're going mad because Ireland got shafted.

And as pointed out already, the longer the brouhaha is focused on Henry and the 'good of football' (and not the reformation of decision making), we are going to look very very silly if we ever get the rub of a horrible decision (or an Irish player is caught cheating in a similar fashion) in a high-profile game.
    Yeah...Henry was barracked by 40,000 Athletic Bilbao fans over the weekend about the incident.

I would do the same against a player of a rival team, not matter what I felt about their actions. Anything to put them off their stride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

That most people are not going mad because the purity of football has been offended. .

In a way, yes they are ..
    They're going mad because Ireland got shafted..

So you at least admit we got shafted now.

We are going mad becuase the 'purity of football was offended' and it happened to us!!!! Of course we wouldn't go mad if it happened to anyone else, why would we??

If the guy accross from me gets his car stolen tonight, I am not going to be the one to go to the Guards screaming. That's his job. That doesn't mean I don't care about catching and punishing the theives. That's just human nature not to get to irate when bad things happen but don't really effect you.

I will however expect that the Guards (FIFA?) to look after the guy, try and catch the car thievs (Footballers Who Deliberately Cheat) and in the process try and make sure it doesn't happen to me (Ireland) or anyone else (Other Countries).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Ok, i was just on Facebook there and one of my mates posted up that he pranked called Sepp Blatter acting as John Delaney and was speaking to him for a good 10 minutes.

I replied saying he was a spoofer as did a few others so he gave me a bell and told me the story, it sounded pretty credible, he done it in work on a conference call so loads were listening in and they've subsequently commented on his post saying it's true and how funny it was. He has a recording but its not a great quality, he's trying to get the lads from IT to sort that out though.

I've no doubt in my mind that my mate would do this but i told him i have to hear it before i believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Karma, we played well we will go on to show that, france if they decide to play like that in SA they'll be gone in the group, this will come back to henry maybe an injury that keeps him out of the wc?

Outlaw Pete and Liam Byrne: I dare you both to type Ireland deserved to get beaten, fair or foul to see if you both thank each other instinctively before realizing your mistake and retracting. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Seen today apparently henry might quit football over this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

AlcoholicA wrote: »

He will in his bollox.

Like a kid threatening to run away from home...

Outlaw Pete and Liam Byrne: I dare you both to type Ireland deserved to get beaten, fair or foul ...... :D

Can't speak for Pete, but since I haven't lied once on this thread, why would I start now ? :rolleyes:

PR bull**** to make him look victimised. I'd view that statement as about as genuine as his "I told the ref" statement - a.k.a. "I shout really loudly while I'm celebrating behind the goal 40 metres away from the ref". :rolleyes:

If he did quit we'd be better off; get rid of the cheats one at a time....

On the other hand, it'd give FIFA an excuse to close their eyes to cheating again and say "all sorted now; no reason to fix anything"......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement