Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Match **DO NOT START OTHER MATCH THREADS**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Gutted.

Its so frustrating that the ref can't simply watch the replay and say hang on a minute thats clearly no right.

Also the offside as well is just good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Volvagia wrote: »
    Gutted.

Its so frustrating that the ref can't simply watch the replay and say hang on a minute thats clearly no right.

Also the offside as well is just good enough.

you forgot anelka diving in the box, the fact that mac geedy shoulda never been played, that kevin doyle should been off at around the 70 mins mark...

/ gets coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

How many who were around in 1986 can remember Maradona's handlingof the ball into the England net and also the masses around Ireland cheering the result?
    Remember the penalty Trappattoni's men were gifted for a handball that never was in a previous game thus saving the match?
    I can remember both. It was utterly pathetic as is the overreaction in the media of last night's result.
    Irish chances were fluffed. Three open chances begging to be scored were wasted. As big a reason for the result as Thierry Henry's fouling.

Grow up and get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Difficult to lose out to such an obvious foul but we had our chances and it wasn't to be. Pity for Henry to be the bad guy as he always seemed like a good bloke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Justind wrote: »
    How many who were around in 1986 can remember Maradona's handlingof the ball into the England net and also the masses around Ireland cheering the result?
    Remember the penalty Trappattoni's men were gifted for a handball that never was in a previous game thus saving the match?
    I can remember both. It was utterly pathetic as is the overreaction in the media of last night's result.
    Irish chances were fluffed. Three open chances begging to be scored were wasted. As big a reason for the result as Thierry Henry's fouling.

Grow up and get over it.

*Yawn*

Go back to England mate. You'll get a nice tan there.
    Careful now. Down with that sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

Horrible to lose like that but the truth is football is a corrupt sport at all levels. Just look at the way FIFA manipulated the draw in the first place.
    Anelka dived trying to win a penalty earlier in the game, every week in club games players are trying to gain advantage by cheating, and its now become accepted to a certain degree.
    Robbie Keane handled the ball 4 or 5 times during the game and each and every time pleaded his innocence to the ref.
    How would we feel if he had got away with one and it had led to a goal?
    FFS every time the ball goes over the sideline players from both teams are running around with a hand in the air claiming its theirs. Farical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

Senna wrote: »
    Feck sakes a 70 year old Italian man stand half way up the pitch seen it. Lines man should have seen it, no excuse.

ahh ya dont know that for sure, he more than likely was just going with the players in protestation to try and persuade the officials. i doubt trappatoni seen it tbh. it was very hard to see for the ref, linesman should definitely have seen it though. it shouldnt have had to come to that as he should have seen the offside first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

The Swedish press have apologised to the Irish people!

A leading Swedish newspaper has issued an apology to the Irish people, and has asserted that it hopes Hansson and his assistants will never be allowed to officiate in a top match again.

"There are approximately 80 million Irishmen around the world. We guarantee they all feel pretty bad today," the article in Aftonbladet reads.

"But I sincerely hope there are three Swedes that feel even worse.

"They are Martin Hansson and (referee's assistants) Stefan Wittberg and Fredrik Nilsson."

"There will be no World Cup for Ireland and I assume that Team Hansson has also forfeited its right to continue to take charge of major international matches.

"Anything else would be a further insult to the Irish nation."

CCCP^ wrote: »
    *Yawn*

Go back to England mate. You'll get a nice tan there.
    Careful now. Down with that sort of thing.
    Am Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Dont worry, ceiling cat will not be happy about this and will take matters into his own paws !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Am Irish.

Irish maybe, football fan? no.

Davei141 wrote: »

how can you say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Am Irish.

Lets not take it out on each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The Irish players can look themselves in the mirror this morning with pride.

Can Thierry Henry do this ?

after he had his shave, i'm sure he'll shrug his shoulders and say.."ce la vie"

Well, I've supported the soccer team if thats what you mean, yes. I was very disappointed at the result and at Henry's actions.

Being a soccer fan shouldn't blind you from seeing the one-eyed hypocrisy of the outraged media and fans out there. Aside from all the hoohah, don't forget Robbie Keane and Damien Duff both took dives for strategic free kicks. Keane even handled the ball (though not a peep from the blinkered out there, I guess).
    One goal was always going to be a very stressy lead against France at home. Had even one of the chances been taken, nobody would give two stuffs over Henry handling the ball in an offside position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

There is a poll here in Le Monde http://www.lemonde.fr/ (click on the henri pic)- even 88% french agree that Ireland were cheated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Well, I've supported the soccer team if thats what you mean, yes.

Being a soccer fan shouldn't blind you from seeing the one-eyed hypocrisy of the outraged media and fans out there.

Perhaps there is some overreaction, i know i'm probably guilty of it myself, but at the same time, this is one of the worst possible ways to get knocked out for any team.

Perhaps there is some overreaction, i know i'm probably guilty of it myself, but at the same time, this is one of the worst possible ways to get knocked out for any team.

no perhaps about it, the vilification of henry is disgusting considering he done no worse than what many soccer player do week in week out

Yep, an horrible way to get knocked out indeed. What irks me is that a lot of those miserable over this manner of goal celebrated it in 1986.

For press overreaction, check out headline on the back page of one of the brain-deads (red-top tabloids) saying 'HAND OF FROG'. Real classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ceatharloch

See

http://www.lemonde.fr/sport/article/2009/11/19/robbie-keane-la-fifa-ne-veut-absolument-pas-de-l-irlande-en-coupe-du-monde_1269061_3242.html#ens_id=1245881

scroll down half the page to the part titled "VOTRE AVIS"

35 THOUSAND PEOPLE (35,000) HAVE ALREADY SIGNED, 88% SAYING
    FRANCE DID NOT DESERVE TO GET TO FINALS.
    (and
    presumably most of these are French)

The question

"Les Bleus méritent-ils leur place à la Coupe du monde ?"
    means
    "Did France deserve their place in the World Cup Finals?"

Vote & tell your friends!!!!

• Advertisement

Well, I've supported the soccer team if thats what you mean, yes.

Being a soccer fan shouldn't blind you from seeing the one-eyed hypocrisy of the outraged media and fans out there

What is this hypocrisy you speak of?

CCCP^ wrote: »
    What is this hypocrisy you speak of?
    Read the first post where I mention the England v Argentina '86 World Cup game.
    Also think back to the penalty the Irish team was gifted for a handball that wasn't, quite recently. This resulting penalty saved the game for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

there is a precedent set to have a world cup qualifier replayed in the case of a technical error by a referee

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/germany2006/news/newsid=27212.html

FAI needs to be petitioned to appeal the result

info@fai.ie

if FIFA are serious about Fairplay then they need to replay this game (at a neutral venue)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Handball World Champions France

France knocked off hosts Croatia 24-19 in the final of the 2009 World Championship to solidify their spot atop the handball world. France collected their third world title following crowns from 1995 and 2001.

Read more: http://olympicparalympicsport.suite101.com/article.cfm/handball_world_champions_france#ixzz0XIqmxpL8

Maybe Henry plays for the wrong team :D

daheff wrote: »
    there is a precedent set to have a world cup qualifier replayed in the case of a technical error by a referee

info@fai.ie

if FIFA are serious about Fairplay then they need to replay this game (at a neutral venue)

what a load of bull, take the beating and get on with it. should every decision be scrutinised afterwards? it doesnt take much to sway a match. a little push in the back unnoticed by the ref could be the turning point of a match. should matches be replayed because of it?

grow up :rolleyes:

daheff wrote: »

info@fai.ie

All other games tilted by dubious play or decisions would then also be affected (one of them previously favoured the Irish team not too long ago too).
    Forget it.
    Done.
    Over.
    Out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭scanlas

j1smithy wrote: »
    what a load of bull, take the beating and get on with it. should every decision be scrutinised afterwards? it doesnt take much to sway a match. a little push in the back unnoticed by the ref could be the turning point of a match. should matches be replayed because of it?

grow up :rolleyes:

I agree you can't be allowing each side to stop the match whenever you want, but there should be a system similar to tennis' hawkeye whereby you get three challenges to a referees decision. There was a lot of people who said it would ruin tennis but it made tennis even better.

scanlas wrote: »
    I agree you can't be allowing each side to stop the match whenever you want, but there should be a system similar to tennis' hawkeye whereby you get three challenges to a referees decision. There was a lot of people who said it would ruin tennis but it made tennis even better.

not a bad idea that actually. cannot be having matches replayed though

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

let him know what you think ;-)

http://twitter.com/thierry_Henry

• Advertisement

Read the first post where I mention the England v Argentina '86 World Cup game.
    Also think back to the penalty the Irish team was gifted for a handball that wasn't, quite recently. This resulting penalty saved the game for us.

Talking out your arse mate. I don't recall anyone going on about England after that match, same as I don't recall anyone going on about Liverpool after that Sunderland match. Get your hat agus coat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement