Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Match **DO NOT START OTHER MATCH THREADS**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Kilbane now chatting with BBC News about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

Leaving aside the cheating my heart sank when I saw Paul Mcshane coming on last night. I knew we were doomed. The guy is a walking disaster. He is an accidenet waiting to happen. And as it turns out it was his fault that Henry had all the time in the world to juggle the ball with his hands before crossing to Gallas. Mcshane reminds me of another disaster waiting to happen who use to play for Ireland, Terry Phelan. Anyone remember that fool? Why would a manager play someone like Mcshane when we have a world class full back in Finnan.I don't blame Henry. I blame Trap, Mcshane, Referee and Linesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

I shot off an email there a few mins ago. Although judging by the guardian article, i'll be lucky to even get an automated response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

fryup wrote: »
    well if you must know i'd rather spend it having a ****:cool:

Wow, a whole 2 minutes? Go you!!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Fair play to Ahern for publicly calling for a re-match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Fifa have no sense of fair play. The writing is on the wall. The dogs in the street know Henry handled that ball and yet Fifa just pretend it never happened. Shame on the linesman, shame on the referee and shame on Fifa. Absolute gutless cowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

akaredtop wrote: »
    I blame Trap, Mcshane, Referee and Linesman.

please enlight me, mr A. Ferguson...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Henry's admission after the match is useless. He sould have stuck his hands in the air and said admitted it was a handball on the spot.

FIFA are the bigger cúnts. Shower of useless fúcking businessmen who wouldn't know fair play if it bit them on the arse. I wouldn't have minded as much had we lost out on penalties or a fair goal but to be knocked out like that is just depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

My opinion is that Henry is one of the most decent and honest players in a generally dishonest game. I don't think any player would have run immediately to the ref to ask that a goal be disallowed... Although I'd love to see the game played that way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Dr Pepper wrote: »
    My opinion is that Henry is one of the most decent and honest players in a generally dishonest game. I don't think any player would have run immediately to the ref to ask that a goal be disallowed... Although I'd love to see the game played that way!

I remeber robbie folwer signalling to the referee once after going down in the box that it wasnt a penalty and the referee didnt give it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

TheZohan wrote: »
    Fair play to Ahern for publicly calling for a re-match.

Thanks for that link TheZohan

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I think that the FAI should send that chap from Frontline to demand Blatter sanction a re-match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

I sit beside a load of French people in work and all of them are saying they feel SHAME for what happened. Too right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I think it should be taken all the way, to the Court of Sporting Arbitration regardless of what the outcome, even if there is only a 5% chacne of a replay, for too long we have bent over and lubed ourselves up for a 10 incher when it comes to things like this.

There was 3 incidents that happened that the goal shouldnt have stood.

Also the way FIFA arranged that the draw not be seeded.

Follow this up to the end in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

These probably sum up the feeling of an entire nation, and beyond.
    FIFA fair play is now a shambles, soccer has suffered. Ireland has suffered.

Henry # 1.jpg

Henry # 2.jpg

Henry # 3.jpg

Henry # 4.jpg

Henry # 5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

Trap is always unlucky as manager of national teams.

2002 - World cup in Korea - Moreno was a very "poor" ref, go to see the highlights of South Korea-Italy and you will cringe

2004 - European cup in Portugal - Italy drew the first 2 matches, they have to win the last match vs Bulgaria (so they did) hoping that the result of sweden-denmark is NOT 2-2.
    Sweden went ahead 2-0 then Denmark scored 2 goals in the last 15 mins (the 2nd goal was ridicolous), Denmark and Sweden went through.

2009 - WC qualifier - Henry....

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

World's smallest picture

that's the best one

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

whycliff wrote: »
    I remeber robbie folwer signalling to the referee once after going down in the box that it wasnt a penalty and the referee didnt give it.

Arshavin tried to do the same a few months ago.... Good to see that now and again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

phasers wrote: »
    World's smallest picture

that's the best one

How do we fix it so that this is the google result ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Boreen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Its an absolute joke that everyone from managers in the premier league, to past players, to former refs are on tv this morning talking about the most obvious case of cheating in the history of the game since maradonas hand of god, and yet nothing will be done about, absolutely nothing.

Fifa will stick their fingers in their ears and just wait for it to go away. Richard Dunne is spot on. Platini and FIFA got the result they wanted. The draw last month was rigged to give the big countries another chance for qualification, and then when Ireland have the former World champions on the ropes, officialdom steps in again to ease their path to south africa. :mad:

No one will convince me that that wasnt a fix last night. If that had been Robbie Keane hand passing the ball to Kevin Doyle in the french box, the linesman would have signalled immediately. Actually, no. He would have signalled for the initial offside. How can the officals do a great job for 110 minutes and then miss two incidents that officials in League 1 would spot in a second.

What is the fúcking point in even bothering with this sport? Fifa fair play my hole. A global power like France in the world cup means big merchandise and TV money, so the men in suits do everything in their power to facilitate them being in the world cup, right up to the point of allowing blatent cheating. Then they batton the hatches, allow no right of appeal and the offenders get off scot free. We obviously wont get a replay, but at the very least some action should be taken to punish France.
    I sit beside a load of French people in work and all of them are saying they feel SHAME for what happened. Too right.

On the forum of the L'Equipe site, it was good to see that every single poster expressed the shame that they feel for gaining qualification in this manner. Most of them spoke about how valiant the Irish performance was, and how they wish their team could play in that way. Its desperate that the only interest group who dont agree that what happened was wrong, are Fifa themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

I think that the FAI should send that chap from Frontline to demand Blatter sanction a re-match

That would sort out FIFA's pontificating!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

These probably sum up the feeling of an entire nation, and beyond.
    Meh

THE REF HAS A PREVIOUS HISTORY

Hansson currently referees matches on a frequent basis in the highest Swedish league, the Allsvenskan, as well as the UEFA Cup and the UEFA Champions League. He came under criticism for a 95th minute penalty decision in a Champions League match between Atletico Madrid and Liverpool; the match finished 1-1 after Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard converted the last-minute spot kick. After the match, Gerrard himself admitted that he would have been "livid" had a similar decision been given under reversed circumstances.[2]

Agricola wrote: »
    Its an absolute joke that everyone from managers in the premier league, to past players, to former refs are on tv this morning talking about the most obvious case of cheating in the history of the game since maradonas hand of god, and yet nothing will be done about, absolutely nothing.

Fifa will stick their fingers in their ears and just wait for it to go away. Richard Dunne is spot on. Platini and FIFA got the result they wanted. The draw last month was rigged to give the big countries another chance for qualification, and then when Ireland have the former World champions on the ropes, officialdom steps in again to ease their path to south africa. :mad:

No one will convince me that that wasnt a fix last night. If that had been Robbie Keane hand passing the ball to Kevin Doyle in the french box, the linesman would have signalled immediately. Actually, no. He would have signalled for the initial offside. How can the officals do a great job for 110 minutes and then miss two incidents that officials in League 1 would spot in a second.

What is the fúcking point in even bothering with this sport? Fifa fair play my hole. A global power like France in the world cup means big merchandise and TV money, so the men in suits do everything in their power to facilitate them being in the world cup, right up to the point of allowing blatent cheating. Then they batton the hatches, allow no right of appeal and the offenders get off scot free. We obviously wont get a replay, but at the very least some action should be taken to punish France.

On the forum of the L'Equipe site, it was good to see that every single poster expressed the shame that they feel for gaining qualification in this manner. Most of them spoke about how valiant the Irish performance was, and how they wish their team could play in that way. Its desperate that the only interest group who dont agree that what happened was wrong, are Fifa themselves.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

Cheating cheese-eating surrender monkies.

The fact that we lost does not change how proud I am of the Irish performance, the better team doesn't always win, c'est la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

Seriously, what is the reason for no Video Referee in football? Rugby have had it for years, teh technolody is there, what is the reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

Check out the match report of the game on the FIFA website. It's a complete joke! Not one mention of handball.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement