Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Match **DO NOT START OTHER MATCH THREADS**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I think they say it could slow down the game too much, momentum is important in football.

Not if it means cheaters get away with it though! :mad:

I'm all for a video ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

dubrov wrote: »
    Check out the match report of the game on the FIFA website. It's a complete joke! Not one mention of handball.

link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭celt262

Rezident wrote: »
    Seriously, what is the reason for no Video Referee in football? Rugby have had it for years, teh technolody is there, what is the reason?

There is no valid reason why it cant be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

Let's Stop buying Renault Clio's and Shaving with Gillette

Alicat wrote: »
    I think they say it could slow down the game too much, momentum is important in football.

I'm all for a video ref.

It would have taking 5 Seconds to review that and see the player offside and then the handball. In fairness others would take longer but no longer than a player getting treatment for an injury on the pitch and then limping off to return seconds later with nothing wrong with them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

LOL O' the sneakiness of this thread LOL :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I give this thread about 5 minutes...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

hmm, i smell a thinly veiled football thread:eek:

in before the ban

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

"Les Paul" sounds French :mad:
    only joking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Curious. Why do suggest such a thing?

And eating frogs :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

LOL :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

celt262 wrote: »
    It would have taking 5 Seconds to review that and see the player offside and then the handball.

Your grasp of the passage of time needs improving, '5 seconds' my arse.

Given how players are already taught to play the whistle in football a video referee would be abused to the point where it'd closer to American football than anything else.

Yeah, fine, it's shitty we're not going to the world cup, but I'd rather that than the introduction of video referees.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Alicat wrote: »

I'm all for a video ref.

When it comes to awarding goals or not though I don't see the problem with disrupting the flow of play. Play has stopped anyway and the TV coverage is busy showing replays of the goal as the players wander back to their own half and put their shirts back on. Wouldn't make a whole lot of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

celt262 wrote: »
    It would have taking 5 Seconds to review that and see the player offside and then the handball. In fairness others would take longer but no longer than a player getting treatment for an injury on the pitch and then limping off to return seconds later with nothing wrong with them.

I'm only telling ya the reasons I've heard! :pac: Didn't say I made them! :p

And I said I'm FOR video refs :P

Curious. Why do suggest such a thing?
    IF the only way we can hurt Henry is brand him as a cheat instead of a sports ambassador he will loose all his endorsments. Good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Rezident wrote: »
    Seriously, what is the reason for no Video Referee in football? Rugby have had it for years, teh technolody is there, what is the reason?
    Your grasp of the passage of time needs improving, '5 seconds' my arse.

Given how players are already taught to play the whistle in football a video referee would be abused to the point where it'd closer to American football than anything else.

Yeah, fine, it's shitty we're not going to the world cup, but I'd rather that than the introduction of video referees.

I think the obvious compromise would be to have video refs only for goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I think the main problem Fifa have with video referees is that they see them as undermining the authority of the match referee. You can see from the statements they've realised about the possibility of a replay that the ability of the ref to call the game as he sees it, without any fear of interference during or after the match, is paramount to them.

There is a different culture in football that doesnt lend itself easily to something like video refs. They'd have to make sure that the usual bending of the rules, gamesmanship / timewasting wouldnt be facilitated by a video ref in some way. Even if they dont introduce them, they HAVE to put more officials on the lines, maybe behind the goal. But IMO, decisions like these always seem to go the way of the big teams, so maybe no matter how many officials you have, it wouldnt matter. They will all get a case of temporary blindness at certain times.

Football thrives on outrage. Maybe fifa dont want actual fair play, where justice is done. Maybe they feel that at the sports core, it needs occasional controversies like this. It keeps everyone talking, sells papers, whips up fever in the fans etc etc. Also if the organisation is as corrupt as they appear to be, video refs would obviously mean they couldnt con teams like Ireland out of World Cup places at the expense of Platinis France.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭threeleggedhors

The beautiful game is losing it's appeal. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 dtwhaler

Sorry if its been mentioned earlier ........... I cant bear to go through all the complaining, moaning about how unfair it is etc etc etc etc ...

I dont see many complaints of the penalty Anelka should have got but didnt ? Why should there be a replay or ban for Henry ?? Players are always looking to cheat. Just this time its gone against Ireland. If it was Robbie Keane who done it well sure that would've been grand I suppose. He's as bad as the others. As a nation I bet everyone cheered when Maradona scored against England with his hand. I know I did !
    I dont recall replays or anything then ?

If Ireland were good enough they'd be going to South Africa. Bottom line is that over two games they werent.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭threeleggedhors

dtwhaler wrote: »
    Sorry if its been mentioned earlier ........... I cant bear to go through all the complaining, moaning about how unfair it is etc etc etc etc ...

I dont see many complaints of the penalty Anelka should have got but didnt ? Why should there be a replay or ban for Henry ?? Players are always looking to cheat. Just this time its gone against Ireland. If it was Robbie Keane who done it well sure that would've been grand I suppose. He's as bad as the others. As a nation I bet everyone cheered when Maradona scored against England with his hand. I know I did !

If Ireland were good enough they'd be going to South Africa. Bottom line is that over two games they werent.

I think there bud if you analyze the two games we probably were the better team (overall). England was then this is now, too much technology to just let the game keep running as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

dtwhaler wrote: »

Over two games it was 1-1 ao they were as good as France (who are there) if not better. In extra time they got robbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭ro09

Outstanding Performance by the Irish, if they had have played this way throughtout the Qualifiers we would have topped our group no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

ro09 wrote: »
    Outstanding Performance by the Irish, if they had have played this way throughtout the Qualifiers we would have topped our group no problem.

France is a poor team, Serbia topped its group!
    Italy is stronger than France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I dont see many complaints of the penalty Anelka should have got but didnt ?

Anelka dived. Replay's show that. He should have been carded.
    France is a poor team, Serbia topped its group!

This French team will be lucky to get out of their group. They don't have a Zidane or a decent defence to dig their way out of trouble this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

ro09 wrote: »

This is a sickening thought aswell
    We where in a really poor group

• Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

dubrov wrote: »
    Check out the match report of the game on the FIFA website. It's a complete joke! Not one mention of handball.

what are you on about :rolleyes:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1136804.html
    Five minutes later, William Gallas bundled the ball home to win the match for Les Bleus after being set up by Thierry Henry, who later admitted that he had handled in the build-up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Palmerstown_guy

At last, an interesting article...

Thierry Henry isn’t the devil, he’s just a soccer player

Thu 19 Nov, 2009

Ireland’s sanctimonious media is ready to skin him alive, but Thierry Henry isn’t the first footballer to handle the ball. Let’s kick moralising out of football.

Ireland’s World Cup hopes were dashed last night at Stade de France when the team drew 1-1 in a qualifying match with France that required a win.
    The back-biting began before the match was even over. Henry admitted to a handball that cost Ireland so dearly in last night’s World Cup play-off. Fans are, understandably, furious, but the press has gone overboard in its pillorying of Henry. Previously an avatar for soccer’s best side, Henry, is now a contender for most hated man in Ireland. Declan Ganley is presumably breathing a sign of relief.

Now nicknamed ‘Le Hand’ by hilarious wags, Henry is rapidly becoming a punching bag for Ireland ‘supporters’ with a sanctimonious hidden agenda. Even minister for justice Dermot Ahern has chimed in, saying we wuz robbed. (1) Accusations of ‘un-sportsmanlike’ behaviour are rampant, with sports columnists seemingly forgetting sport isn’t about behaviour, it’s about winning. RTÉ‘s Pat Kenny today criticised Henry, asking how much money he makes in endorsements, though what that has to do with his performance is unclear.

The problem is that handling the ball is seen as being at odds with Henry’s clean-cut image. For his part, Henry has said that he attempted to tell the referee that he touched the ball. Many other players have, in their time, cheated much more blatantly: Owen, Rooney, Maradonna and Ronaldo, for example. But whether or not Henry is somehow ‘better’ for having put his hands in the air, metaphorically speaking, is not the issue.
    Football truly is a game of two halves: the game itself and the moral panics that follow it.

In reality, soccer is not a moral issue, it’s a sport. The problem isn’t simply that Henry handled the ball, but that his image was absurd in the first place. Henry seems like a decent and thoughtful person, which is nice – but ultimately irrelevant. His nice-guy image is only significant in that it is in sharp relief to the ‘loutish’ behaviour of other players – drinking, fighting and ‘roasting’ – something the press never tires of writing about. The fact that neither is important seems to have escaped attention and Henry is now suffering as a result of failing to live up to the inflated idea that he was a ‘role model’ rather than a sportsman.

These days moralising and sport go hand-in-hand.
    As Sean Collins points out, baseball player Alex Rodriguez, better-known as A-Rod, has been on the receiving end of moralistic judgements. This is in sharp contrast to how players were viewed in the past: “In the 1920s, Babe Ruth [baseball’s first celebrity] was known for drinking and his wife had a mental breakdown due to his ‘womanising’.” (2) In sharp contrast to today, Ruth was not subject to critical tirades in the press.

Sport fans, too, have been pilloried by misanthropic commentators. Horror stories of football hooliganism abound – even boisterous drunken behaviour is inflated to the status of hooliganism. It’s hard to ignore the class snobbery that underpins this view, especially when soccer fans are regularly compared unfavourably with crowds at rugby matches. There is more, though: absurd stories about World Cup ‘sex slaves’ circulated in the press in 2006 and we can expect them again in 2010.

In August, the moral panic reached fever pitch with the Millwall-West Ham game at Upton Park in East London descended into pitch invasions, with fans being depicted as “wild animals”. (3) Former Guardian editor Peter Preston even managed to somehow suggest that the problem was that “a surly, divided society is back. And that’s not football’s fault.”
    Preston is wrong about society being surly (and division never really went away) but he is right that bad behaviour at a match is not football’s fault. Sport is not real life and it contains no lessons. In fact, escapism and enjoyment are its purposes.

It’s only a game, son.

(from forth.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

Wagon wrote: »
    Henry's admission after the match is useless. He sould have stuck his hands in the air and said admitted it was a handball on the spot.

FIFA are the bigger cúnts. Shower of useless fúcking businessmen who wouldn't know fair play if it bit them on the arse. I wouldn't have minded as much had we lost out on penalties or a fair goal but to be knocked out like that is just depressing.

Agree wholeheartedly, let's get off the anti-Henry bandwagon, the fault inherently lies with the power-hungry politicos at FIFA/UEFA, who have consistently refused to introduce video technology on the grounds that it would be impossible to have such technology for every game.

Nobody's asking for vid tech for EVERY GAME, just the top professional ones.

Perhaps in the end, the French people themselves (WHO ARE ACTUALLY ASHAMED AT WHAT HAPPENED) will be embarrassed enough with the global furore to do what's right and replay the match.:mad::mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement