Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I were to only watch 1 anime/manga film

Options
  • 19-11-2009 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

I know nothing about anime/manga.

If I could only watch one film what would it be? A classic. Something that is represnetative of the entire thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Something that is represnetative of the entire thing.

It's a tough question, because there's no one film that's going to represent the entire medium. There's as many differing genres within Anime as there is within films or TV, from action to comedy to sci-fi, so there's never going to be any one film that can represent the whole.

Lets take for example Spirited Away, which is a wonderfully imaginative children's fantasy, and then look at Perfect Blue which is a very dark and deeply psychological thriller. Neither film is in any way representative of each other, they're entirely different kinds of film for entirely different audiences.

I'll recommend 5 films that I think are particularly excellent:

Spirited Away
    Grave of the Fireflies
    Tokyo Godfathers
    Jin-Roh - The Wolf Brigade
    The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Take a moment to read about what kind of film each of those are, see if that appeals to you, and pick one. You can't really go wrong there, I think they're all exceptional films, but keep in mind that you're not going to find something that's representative of Anime as a whole.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

2 words,Devil Man........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I know nothing about anime/manga.

If I could only watch one film what would it be? A classic. Something that is represnetative of the entire thing.

Re-word your post like this, and you'll understand how hard a question this is to answer.

"I know nothing about photography.

If I could only look at 1 photo what would it be? A classic. Something that is representative of the entire thing."

I'd maybe start with Akira. Everyone whos anyone and claims to like Anime has seen it. But it's really only the tip of the iceberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Genius Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Akira broke my Anime virginity, but I didn't have a clue what was going on through half of it.

Favorites now are probably more the ones aimed at a more broad audience as opposed to the crazy ones like Akira.

Love Princess Mononoke or Howls moving castle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Your best bet is going for something that reflects and complements your taste in "normal" movies. If you liked the mishmash of philosophy and violence in Matrix, try Akira and so on.

In other words, what type of films do you watch, maybe even list a couple of your favorites. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

NothingMan wrote: »
    Akira broke my Anime virginity, but I didn't have a clue what was going on through half of it.

I was lost half way through it too :-/.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

Akira has a bit of a sudden ending.

And no, anime isn't quite like photography or Film/TV. While Photography is anything taken with a camera, anime is limited to animated films from japan, and the entire genre do have some common themes.

Of course, ya, some more detail would be nice.
    Assuming you won't give it:
    Spirited Away
    Has the visual detail to lull you in, doesn't have a crap ending like some other anime, doesn't have any shortcuts in it.

Ninja scroll is excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

First:

As has already been stated, there is no work that is representative of all anime and manga, because anime and manga is not a genre, it is a medium.

Second:

If you must watch only one work, make it The Girl who Leapt Through Time.

Ninja scroll is excellent too.

No. It's not.
    Get out.

• Advertisement

No. It's not.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

:eek:
    He's right. It may be a technical/artistic great work, but there's so little depth there.
    It's not in the same league with something like, as CyRev suggested, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Crowcifer

I wouldn't consider myself an expert/fanatic at all but I really recommend Grave of the Fireflies.

Akira is very enjoyable too, but as people have said above it is a little bit of a head melt at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Crowcifer wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider myself an expert/fanatic at all but I really recommend Grave of the Fireflies.

Akira is very enjoyable too, but as people have said above it is a little bit of a head melt at times!

you must hate this guy so much that you never want him to feel happiness again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I havent seen many anime movies, mostly series, but id highly recommend spirited away and princesss mononoke to any fan of films, let alone anime.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

I quite liked these two, surprised they havent been mentioned (but Akira and Spirited Away are good recommendations too)

Metropolis

Fist of the North Star

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Varik wrote: »
    you must hate this guy so much that you never want him to feel happiness again
    Lol. I'm tempted to track it down myself now just to see. Is it really that bad?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

vinylbomb wrote: »
    I quite liked these two, surprised they havent been mentioned (but Akira and Spirited Away are good recommendations too)

Metropolis

Fist of the North Star

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Just after watching The Girl Who Leapt Through Time again and it really is one of the greatest films i've ever seen

• Advertisement

Having watched all the recommendations (so I'm not just being a fanboi), The Girl who leapt through time is the best.

Ghost in the Shell, is a bit too mindf*ck to be completely enjoyable as a "let's see what's anime like, sure" film.
    Metropolis is very different from all the other anime I've seen, not in a good way.
    FonS is good nuff. but girl who leapt through time is da besht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Nevore wrote: »
    Lol. I'm tempted to track it down myself now just to see. Is it really that bad?

They're both good films in their own right, just a bit on the grim side...

Going to have to check out the girl who leapt through time after all of these recommendations!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Phil D

There are loads up on youtube. If I were you I'd have a look there and see if there was anything that grabbed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

gearoidof wrote: »
    Having watched all the recommendations (so I'm not just being a fanboi), The Girl who leapt through time is the best.

Ghost in the Shell, is a bit too mindf*ck to be completely enjoyable as a "let's see what's anime like, sure" film.
    Metropolis is very different from all the other anime I've seen, not in a good way.
    FonS is good nuff. but girl who leapt through time is da besht

Great film but too mushy to represent the genre. Something like Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust that has a bit of everything in it would be a better choice I think.

edit: actually Howls Moving Castle might be better as its not as ott on the violence, a nicer way to welcome people to the genre.

Hmm, what do you mean by "too mushy to represent the genre" ? :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

galaxy express 999
    robot carnival
    macross dyrl
    vampire hunter d bloodlust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I wonder, did the OP watch one film yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

gearoidof wrote: »
    Hmm, what do you mean by "too mushy to represent the genre" ? :S

Anime films arent usually so luvvy duvvy.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

eoin5 wrote: »
    Anime films arent usually so luvvy duvvy.
    Anime films aren't usually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Advertisement