Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CF Semi-Auto rifle+ handgun further questions

Options
  • 19-11-2009 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Got called into the station today to be presented with further questions from the Superintendent (Hasn't even gone to CS yet :confused:) on reasons this firearm is required.

1. Proof of use of both firearms by submitting the dates he attended the range. (Easily done.)

2. Details of all competitions entered and results. (I though the new S.I was worded "for target shooting or competition, since when did you have to enter competitions? And what's the bloody difference if I shooting on a range for recreation or being timed and scored on it?)

Also...Enquires must be made with club to verify if the range is capable for long range shooting(Not at present, but there is no reason I can't get used to my rifle and practise at the range...is there?) as enquires made would indicate that the only range capable of catering for this type of rifle would be in Tullamore. (My own range is capable of catering for all calibres up to .308 and I explained this in my initial application letter so how is tullamore the only range capable of catering for "this type of rifle"?).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Even the Commissioners guidelines don't mention competition. Under 'good reason' they just specify that membership of a club would be the main good reason.

Make that point whilst submitting the requested details because they are entitled to ask for more information.
    An applicant for a firearm certificate shall supply to the issuing person the information requested in the application form and such further information as the issuing person may require in the performance of the person’s functions under this Act, including, in particular—

Explain that the Gardai themselves authorised your range for the calibre and that it's where you've always trained. If you've attended Midlands for a comeptition say so, but there's no need to have done so if your own range is authorised.

Centrefire rifle would be shot at distances of 100m upwards, but Gallery rifle is shot at some very short distances and that's a centre fire rifle sport as well. If your range is shorter than 100m it might be a tougher proposition to persuade them that you actually need a centre fire rifle; I'm assuming that yours is a semi as that's one of the main reasons for a CF rifle being restricted.

Advertisement