Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New players for the Euro 2012 campaign

• 19-11-2009 3:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭

What new players do ye reckon will feature in the senior set up for the new campaign?

I reckon Conor Clifford could be a player is comes through pretty quickly.

Also with the changing of the fifa ruling regarding eligibility we could see a raft of players with Irish grandparents featuring. I reckon we could see Kyle Naughton of Tottenham in the green shirt. Not so sure about Jamie O'Hara.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

what rule was changed? couldnt people with irish grandparents always play?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Too early for Conor Clifford. Only pick Irish players imo. Stick with what we have and bring in Fahey, Reid, Reid, Nolan, Morrison and give a few players a run in friendlys and training camps who are on the fringes of clubs in EPL and Championship. eg Scanell and Garvan and the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Ehh ?? ? WTF !!! can I at least get over my hangover from the world cup campaign before we start discussing the team for 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

I think in the past there was a deadline for players who featured in competitive games at u-21 level for another country to declare for another country. When the deadline passed these players could not play for this other country.

From January 2010 players who played for other countries competitvely up to under 21 level, can now declare for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Ehh ?? ? WTF !!! can I at least get over my hangover from the world cup campaign before we start discussing the team for 2012.

I need something to numb the pain. Need to stay positive my man ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

There has been talk in the papers that Trap has been getting people to look into all high level players that could be eligible to play for Ireland, so it is quite likely that we will at least try to get the likes of O'Hara or Naughton to declare for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

There is James McCarthy, the Scottish wonderkid who declared for us, signed for Wigan in the summer. Would love to see us bring in someone young and make them the next Duff or Keane - 50 caps before their mid-20s...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Chris Mc Cann, Keith Fahey, Paddy Madden, Wes Hoolihan, and Liam Lawrence to play a bigger role thought he was exceptional last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Dickerty wrote: »
    There is James McCarthy, the Scottish wonderkid who declared for us, signed for Wigan in the summer. Would love to see us bring in someone young and make them the next Duff or Keane - 50 caps before their mid-20s...

Looking forward to seeing him play. He was outstanding in Scotland, and hoping he'll get a run of games for Wigan soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

we certainly need some new players in the squad/first team.

We need a new LB, a new CM and a new striker at least.

Kilbane isn't good enough at LB (though he did very well last night), we need a better option than Whelan, Andrews or Gibson in the centre, and we need someone to push Keane and Doyle - Best, Folan and Long are not good enough.

Not sure who we could use at LB, but Stephen Reid and Andy Reid should be brought back into the set up (Stephen will be, obviously). Up front, again we lack. Stokes hasn't fulfilled his potential. I do think Morrison deserves a look. Not sure who else we could call up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i wouldnt mind doing a wales on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

What exactly is doing a Whales? You lost me with that comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Stephen gleeson

Advertisement