Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIPO batteries! Good thing or Bad thing?

Options
  • 19-11-2009 8:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I am to understand from various sources that the use of a LIPO battery will increase the ROF of the gun. If this is correct, and I hope that I am, as my whole post is based on this. Is this a good or bad for the world of Airsoft?

I can only speak for myself, but I’m sure others might agree. I play for the realism of the game and believe guns with a mental ROF reduce this. :mad: A high ROF is one thing, as RS guns have different cyclic rates of fire. But a player with a gun, that’s fires so fast the BB’s appear to be a constant stream of plastic, and although is only a rifle is somehow fulfilling the role of a support type weapon does nothing for the sense of realism. If an entire team was to arrive on a site with guns such as this, then tactics, teamwork etc goes out the window, as this team could simply use this to their (unfair) advantage.

But, on the hand, if you just turn up at a site with the intention of pissing plastic for a few hours, then the mental ROF offered by the use of a LIPO is probably right up your street.

I now open the floor to debate! :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

High RoF is for casual skirmishing, tinkering and those who like to show off or make claim to being "gucci".

Realistic RoF is more for MilSim. Horses for courses I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

well i can create a 30rps aeg without a lipo that's not an issue as has been done for ages

the advantages of lipos for me are size, the disadvantage of super rof is not really directly linked to lipos, the availability of lipo has meant that more people have been able to get the high rof easier but this normally comes with downsides, increased maintenance, increased chance of catastrophic failure, this being very common with people just throwing in 11.1 lipos into aegs that are not set up for it

the major downside for me is them being mis sold to people with bad advice leading to your gearbox sounding like badly tuned buzz saw when the piston shreds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

I am to understand from various sources that the use of a LIPO battery will increase the ROF of the gun.

Not so much will, as can - just like a higher voltage conventional chemistry.

Lipo's are simply able to pass more current than conventional chemistries and are able to hold more charge in a smaller, lighter package.

How that extra current is used is down to the airsofter themselves.

7.4V will produce about equivalent RPS to a good 9.6V battery but is half the size and weight for the same charge.

11.1V, without modification, will mean more RPS, but also as pudin' has said, significantly more wear on the G/B internals. Modified appropriately they can be used very succesfully for either high torque or high speed arrangements.

I understand your concern but the thing is that regardless of ROF the rounds won't (or at least certainly shouldn't) reach you any quicker regardless - so if Mr. Mental ROF would have missed you at 15RPS, then firing at 25RPS just means he misses you with more rounds.

The only time ROF really matters is if you're trying to walk rounds to a moving target. If you're aiming correctly it makes little odds.

The one big advantage that the higher voltage does give though, is a greatly decreased spin-up time, so you get that first round off quicker - but there's no deviation from reality there as real steel doesn't need to spin-up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I use 11.1V lipo's in a few of my guns. Its rare i'll need to use fully automatic but the trigger response from 11.1 on semi is far more "realistic" than what you'll see with most standard guns. I like the gun to fire when i pull the trigger as opposed to spin up and shoot,
    My masada for instance, It's running an 11.1v lipo and mosfet. On fully auto i would say its about 25 rounds a sec but on semi you would be hard pushed to know its an electric gun. theres nothing more than an instant snap from it. No windy up and pop sounds. :) just the way i like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Masada wrote: »
    I use 11.1V lipo's in a few of my guns. Its rare i'll need to use fully automatic but the trigger response from 11.1 on semi is far more "realistic" than what you'll see with most standard guns. I like the gun to fire when i pull the trigger as opposed to spin up and shoot,
    My masada for instance, It's running an 11.1v lipo and mosfet. On fully auto i would say its about 25 rounds a sec but on semi you would be hard pushed to know its an electric gun. theres nothing more than an instant snap from it. No windy up and pop sounds. :) just the way i like it.

have to agree 100% there, been aiming for the same thing for a long time, one thing that really gets on my wick with aeg is the sound of a motor winding up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

If an entire team was to arrive on a site with guns such as this, then tactics, teamwork etc goes out the window, as this team could simply use this to their (unfair) advantage.
    :

Some do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

thermo wrote: »
    Some do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Good God man, don't remind me!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Realistically though, rate of fire alone isn't going to make the game unrealistic.
    If the game is anywhere near realistic then it'll have an Ammo cap and that guy running stupidly high ROF is gonna need to hold off the full auto and be equal to you, Or go mad and run out faster, an advantage to you. :)

Theres much more to realism in the game than just ROF. :)

Advertisement