Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Mastiffs - never abandoned?!

Options
  • 19-11-2009 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

I rescued my dog from the pound last year (an English mastiff) and am starting to wonder is he the only one that's ever been abandoned in Ireland?!

He's a gorgeous dog now but was in bad shape when they found him, v skinny, ears & tail in bad condition, v sad demeanour. I personally don't know how anyone could do that to him, as he's such a big softie and wouldn't harm a fly (more likely to run away from it!), and is very obedient.

I've kept an eye out ever since on all the rescue sites and haven't seen another English mastiff on any of them at all.
    did we just get really lucky in finding him?

I know the pups cost a huge amount (€1000 or so), so maybe others really care about dogs if they buy them at that money. another reason I can't understand why it happened to our dog.

I'd love to see him playing with another mastiff, I'd say they'd be so cute together. But right now can't afford that money on a puppy.
    wouldn't have any problem with taking another rescue on though - he has been such a success story, really is the perfect dog (minus the slobs and the farting!!!)

anyone out there know of any other mastiff rescues that happened before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

They do come in very occasionally. Mostly they're surrendered by their owners for various reasons but on the odd occasion there is a stray picked up.

It would be a waiting game but if you sign up on PetsIreland you'll be able to keep an eye on a couple of pounds and make yourself known to the rescues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

i saw a french mastiff recently on DAWG!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Dunno if the initial price of them would necessarily mean people wont abandon them. Look at Shar Pei - same price bracket (possibly even higher) yet there are two websites dedicated solely to rehoming them (in UK mind) - one which has been getting more and more of them in of late.

I think this credit crunch will, and has, force alot of people to hand in dogs as they struggle with costs.

Would you travel to the North or UK for one? I would assume there would be more there.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

There's a mastiff x on madra.ie and also in the kildare section of irishanimals.ie. They really are a lovely breed but unfortunately too large for the space I can provide. Good luck with the search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Boomtastic

Why not email all the rescue homes?

I have a load of the email addresses here - not as far as Cork though. If you want them pm me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

A pair of french mastiffs came into a pound in the south east recently. I think one was rehomed and the other went into foster. Have a look on the petsireland and dogs in distress websites there should be a thread on there about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

http://www.bullmastiff-rescue.org.uk/ you could try this also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

http://www.irishdanerescue.com/

what about a dane.....a more elegant mastiff and be a great companion for your other mastiff!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

The op is interested in an Olde English Mastiff, I feel I need to point out that there is a world of difference between some of the Mastiffs mentioned and the OEM, The great Dane would actually be more similar temperament wise in fact, i.e. "big softie and wouldn't harm a fly"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I've often had OEM's in rehoming, they are not as rare as you think. However, they are very hard to rehome as not everyone is a fan of big slobbery dogs ;).

Kildara, in 13 years rescue I've had 14 Shar Pei's, the high purchase price will not deter the owner from abandoning the dog. I've currently got a Frenchie here who cost 6000 Sterling as a pup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement