Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buy now or wait until January?

• 19-11-2009 9:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

We are moving home from abroad in December and will need a car, but should we wait until January when there will be more secondhand cars on the market?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

Some people will tell you wait until January,but I think there are a lot of bargains around in mid december as dealers are keen to shift stock before the end of year.
    Also with the recession on private sellers may be stuck for cash for xmas so there are loads of bargains around.
    This is my own opinion and is not based on facts just my own thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

cascade35 wrote: »
    Some people will tell you wait until January,but I think there are a lot of bargains around in mid december as dealers are keen to shift stock before the end of year.
    Also with the recession on private sellers may be stuck for cash for xmas so there are loads of bargains around.
    This is my own opinion and is not based on facts just my own thoughts.

If you need a car you need a car imo.

I bought last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

If you are coming from within the EU especially the UK, buy before you come..much cheaper to buy in the UK and a better looked after car into the bargain in my experiance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

corktina wrote: »
    If you are coming from within the EU especially the UK, buy before you come..much cheaper to buy in the UK and a better looked after car into the bargain in my experiance.
    No, coming from the ME unfortunately, cars are dirt cheap here, but all left hand drive. :(

Im just thinking there might be more selection if we wait til January, but then, are people actually going to change their cars next year at all?!
    There seems to be a definite decline in the number of secondhand cars available even in the last 2 mths.
    I suppose if we see something we want, we'll just take it.

We'll be living close to a town, so could survive without the car until after Christmas to be honest, and might lose a few lbs with all the walking, a bonus!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'd be very surprised if there are a lot more cars available in January than there are now. Dealers don't have anywhere near the same numbers for January Pre-orders as they did last year, so there isn't going to be many cars traded in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Cherrycola wrote: »
    No, coming from the ME unfortunately, cars are dirt cheap here, but all left hand drive. :(

We'll be living close to a town, so could survive without the car until after Christmas to be honest, and might lose a few lbs with all the walking, a bonus!!:D

If it was me, I'd consider bringing over whatever i had, it would take a bit of getting used to when driving on the left-hand side with a left-hand driven car.

However, if you prefer to source your car here, there's definately some good value to be found out there, but be prepared to look hard for it.

And by the way, welcome home!!:)

Esp to our lovely climate!!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...ha ! if you've a good high SUV, even in LHD, bring it home !! It's the only thing able to move around here this week !

And the LHD-as-problem is over-played. I won't exclude LHD from the list next time I shop.

As for your original question, if you're buying used, buy now, and hammer a good deal - there are so few cars being bought new, I can't see on iota of difference between now and Jan as so few trade-ins available.

Buying before Christmas should see you get a good deal, and keep some garage guy in a job for a bit longer.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Cheers guys.

Unfortunately what we have here is a gas guzzling 3L Pajero automatic,fine when you can fill it for the equivalent of about 20euro....i kid you not!!!
    Not so good for Irish petrol prices. :(

Ok, why are we moving home again :confused::confused:......wind, rain, floods, recession, rip off republic....:D:D Ah but you cant beat home. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

ah but if you wait til Jan you can get a cool new improved not many numbers reg plate :D

10 - D - 1 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

If you wait till about April you can get 10 - D - 10

• Advertisement
Advertisement