Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiling Water Leak

• 19-11-2009 9:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

So I got up this morning and I could hear something dripping. I thought/hoped it was the tap but I looked around to see water dripping through the ceiling in the living room.

I live in an apartment, on the 4th floor and there is one floor above me. The leak is about 1-2 feet in from the windows and about 4 or 5 inches over from a light fitting.

I noticed a few months ago that the paint was peeling off slightly in a little circular patch but I couldn't remember if it had always been like this (I only moved in, in June) or if it had started after I moved in. It wasn't causing any issues and I thought it was a cosmetic issue at most so I passed no remarks on it. This is where the water is dripping in now though. The area in the ceiling is not discoloured or anything.

I've absolutely no idea how this water is getting in as there is an apartment above mine with a balcony and their balcony extends out past where the windows are in my apartment so it's flush where my balcony is.

I'm going to call the landlord this morning to see if it can be fixed but I'm slightly worried that it's going to be a huge job to repair. There's no obvious entry point for the water. Had it been closer to the window I'd have thought the insulation or sealing was suspect, however because it's about 2 feet it from the window I'm concerned it's more of a structural repair that might be needed.

Anyway like I say, I'm going to call the landlord in an hour or two and see if they can get someone to fix it.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen something similar?

The whole apartment complex is very new, no more than about 3 or 4 years old so I'm surprised this is even an issue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

is the kitchen in the flat above you directly above yours? if so its likely there is a leaking pipe there. It should be the responsibility of the owner of that flat or the landlord to fix it and repair any damage to your flat.(IMHO)Calling the Landlord is the right course of action. Could also be a drainage problem from thier balcony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm not totally sure about the layout of their apartment. The leak is actually through the ceiling in the living room section of my apartment, the kitchen in mine is just off the living room.

I think their dining room or living room is above where the leak is as I can always hear what sounds like chairs being pulled out when people are sitting down. I don't know if their kitchen is somehow above my living room, but I doubt it.

It's kind of annoying though, and like I say, I've no idea where the water is coming from. Also I don't think there's anything you can just open up to have a look around at either to see where it might be coming from. That's kind of what has me concerned that it might be an extensive job to get corrected. I guess there's two issues, the ceiling in mine although to look at, it's barely noticeable and the main issue is that how the water is getting in, in the first place. That's the big concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It could be rainwater ingress, very possible considering the windy wet weather or it could be a water pipe leaking.
    I had the same thing in a flat one time and it turned out to be a 1/2" copper water pipe had chafed on a nail and started leaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Is there radiators near the that wall. Is it a heating leak.

Why dont you drop into the neighbours above and show them they might be interested.

The whole complex has underfloor heating, there are no radiators in the apartments. I called the landlord and they are getting the conscierge to go check it out and see what they say and take it from there.

I'm not sure if it's just water from the balcony at the above apartment, or something similar to what a previous poster said and it was a leaky pipe.

Am waiting for them to call me back but the landlord was very proactive and said not to worry that they'd get it sorted out. I guess though I'm just a bit concerned it might require some sort of building work. I don't fancy the idea of having to move out while it's done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The whole complex has underfloor heating, there are no radiators in the apartments. I called the landlord and they are getting the conscierge to go check it out and see what they say and take it from there.

I'm not sure if it's just water from the balcony at the above apartment, or something similar to what a previous poster said and it was a leaky pipe.

Am waiting for them to call me back but the landlord was very proactive and said not to worry that they'd get it sorted out. I guess though I'm just a bit concerned it might require some sort of building work. I don't fancy the idea of having to move out while it's done.

Dont worry till you know. I reckon there was a screw put through the underfloor heating when the tiles were put down upstairs.

Its not you that will have major problems its prob them.

dont worry. You will just go grey and bald....Like me ;)

I'm half way there (hair thinning on top so I have to shave it now).

The landlord got back to me and said she's still waiting for the people who run the complex to go check it out. She said they'd get back in touch with her when it's resolved. I'd be surprised though if it's a quick simple fix like that. Hopefully it is though.

Back home, the thing is still bloody leaking! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Dont worry till you know. I reckon there was a screw put through the underfloor heating when the tiles were put down upstairs.

Its not you that will have major problems its prob them.

Your avatar doesn't suggest you are either grey or bald. Just shows, you can't trust them things:p

If the leak is from underfloor water heating, wouldn't the ceiling have been stained dark brown where the leak is? Sounds more like rain water getting in somewhere to me. Could be from a balcony leak above and travelling along a floor beam?

Yeah, that's what the owner, and the conscierge reckon, and I'm thinking it too, although none of us are handymen. The floor above mine is the penthouse and they have like a wrap around balcony and I don't think it's covered as much as my balcony is. So it's a lot more exposed to the elements.

I can see what looks like some water around one of the light fittings. Better make sure not to turn it on!

The conscierge person just left and they said it will be tomorrow at the earliest before the repair people can fix it. She said they need to wait until the rain stops as they'll have to lift up the flagstones on the floor above to check where the water is getting in. I guess that makes sense.

I think the dripping is going to drive me bonkers all weekend!

• Advertisement

The dripping stopped last night and there's barely any water in the bucket this morning. However I can see what looks like some water marks on the ceiling around the area where the drips were. I don't know if there is water gathered there or something, although i'm guessing if there was, it would still be dripping through.

Anyway it seems dry enough today, hopefully the maintenance people can check out the balcony above and do something.

It's going to be Monday before it can be fixed apparently. Also I think I've noticed a slight circular stain on the ceiling above my bed. It is possible there's a leak somewhere there too? It's a lot further in from the window than the leak in the living room. Seems to be anyway. There's no leak though in the bedroom. Yet anyway! The mark isn't that obvious.

The water marks in the living room are really obvious now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Did you get this resolved OP? Same thing happening in my place, everything is the same down to your description of the apartment above your place!

Around our windows in the sitting room the wall is all damp and literally dripping water into the apartment floor. It's making all the blinds wet and when we woke up this morning the floor was soaked. I've rang the landlord and no response so far..

Is this easy to resolve?

Advertisement