Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cost/where to repair?

• 19-11-2009 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I'm doing a friend a favour and in payment for my help he's giving me his old Xbox 360 which is broken. (He has since purchased a new one)

From what he has told me it is a disk loading problem, the machine will not take the disk properly when pushed in. He has stated to me that he has opened it up to take a look, and that it isn't 'clicking into place' properly to use his words.

Now I'm essesntially getting it for free which is great, but I was wondering about where to get it fixed and how much that would cost? I'm Longford based but I have friends in Dublin who could handle it for me there if required.

Oh also I am IT based myself, done a fair amount of PC repair so I would be able to tinker around somewhat if there's a fix I can do myself.

He tells me it's one of the early 360s that first came out which he purchased for €600. Seems like a massive amount of money at this stage but there you go!

Anyway any help would be very much appreciated, I wanna go get halo 3 :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

If you cant fix the DVD drive, then replacing it is not as simple as just putting a new one in. You have to get the key from the old drive and spoof it into the new drive. It's not too difficult, but a fiddly operation. You need to dissasemble the box to get the dvd drive out, hook it up to a computer to extract the key, get a new drive, spoof the new key into the drive, then reassemble with the new drive in.

You'll need torx screwdrivers, a sata pc and relevant software.

google xbox 360 DVD firmware spoofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LuvSpudz

Thanks for the comment easyboy,

I understand from the bits I've read after googling that there may be a problem with Live allowing the machine to work online afterwards... Now this isn't a major concern for me, but I may like to enroll later on. Ah well if I get a free 360 out of it it's a good deal.

I will try that myself once I get the machine, but I presume there are places that do replaces for you as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

If you don't care about modyfing it for backed up games etc then the best way is to get exact the same drive and change over the pcb's inside.

Here is how to distinguish between them. If you are an IT person you won't have a problem in changing them over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

If you cant fix the DVD drive, then replacing it is not as simple as just putting a new one in. You have to get the key from the old drive and spoof it into the new drive. It's not too difficult, but a fiddly operation. You need to dissasemble the box to get the dvd drive out, hook it up to a computer to extract the key, get a new drive, spoof the new key into the drive, then reassemble with the new drive in.

You'll need torx screwdrivers, a sata pc and relevant software.

google xbox 360 DVD firmware spoofing.

Wow did not realise it was that complicated. Thats what mine
    needs to be fixed. My wallet is going to be very upset with me
    this weekend.

Thanks all the same easyboy :)

Thanks for the responses once again, love this forum :)

That sounds like an easier fix doing a direct replace, and that website has full documentation on how to replace the drive too, so that's cool. I might be interested in modding at a later date, but for now I would like to have a working machine to start with and go from there.

As I said I have to wait 'til I get the xbox off him, but this is looking good so far.

Really looking forward to this. I had all three last gen consoles, and with this machine I'll soon have all three of this generation as well. Nice one!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

LuvSpudz wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses once again, love this forum :)

That sounds like an easier fix doing a direct replace, and that website has full documentation on how to replace the drive too, so that's cool. I might be interested in modding at a later date, but for now I would like to have a working machine to start with and go from there.

As I said I have to wait 'til I get the xbox off him, but this is looking good so far.

Really looking forward to this. I had all three last gen consoles, and with this machine I'll soon have all three of this generation as well. Nice one!:)

If you're really tech savy and handy and all pm me when you will get the xbox.
    I always have some spare drives and drive parts, you might be lucky ;)

docentore wrote: »
    If you're really tech savy and handy and all pm me when you will get the xbox.
    I always have some spare drives and drive parts, you might be lucky ;)

Cool,
    I might be getting it tomorrow off the guy, fingers crossed and all that!! Thanks for the offer, I'll be sure to give you a shout when it arrives.

I'm reasonably tech savvy - let's put it this way, I've built my own computer and repaired plenty, but if it came to soldering or anything like that I'd be out of my depth!

I got the xbox 360 off my friend today, and I have opened it up (thanks youtube!) and removed the hard drive.

It is a Toshiba Samsung TS-H943.

The drive won't open when the machine is on, it attempts to, as in you can hear the motor's whirring, but it doesn't open. I manually opened it and started up the 'box that way but when it attempts to close it just opens again.

Diagnosis: The catch at the back of the drive won't click into or out of place, so when it's closed it won't open, and when open it can't close fully. I need a replacement.

I was wondering if any of you guys might have a working one that I could purchase off ye?

Small update on this situation, left it all til the new year.

Got a second broken xbox off another friend, had the wrong drive in it, but have another friend with yet another broken xbox, gonna get that of her at some stage and see if I can get one working one out of all three!!

Phew!

Oh and happy new year to you all btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

LuvSpudz wrote: »
    Small update on this situation, left it all til the new year.

Got a second broken xbox off another friend, had the wrong drive in it, but have another friend with yet another broken xbox, gonna get that of her at some stage and see if I can get one working one out of all three!!

Phew!

Oh and happy new year to you all btw :)

What's wrong with the other broken consoles? I like fixing things but maybe four consoles is pushing the boat a bit :D

• Advertisement

What's wrong with the other broken consoles? I like fixing things but maybe four consoles is pushing the boat a bit :D

Okay, the consoles and their respective problems are as follows:

Console #1: The original one with the disk loading ejecting problem

Console #2: a Japanese import xbox, apparently there is a problem with the graphics card port according to the guy I got it off. Never really checked it out to be honest as I was tunnel-visioned into getting the first one fixed!

Console #3: This one was dropped during a move. I haven't received this one yet so I have no idea as to the extent of the damage

But hey if you think you could help out that'd be great! and if you're near longford that'd be even greater ;)

Advertisement