Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 - New York ... ?!

Options
  • 19-11-2009 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Thinking of heading to the States this summer on a J1, anyone have any recommendations or tips ... :)

From the outset New York, or Florida look very appealing - can anyone share their experience ?

Went to the Usit talk in my University yesterday, and have to say very informative & interesting.

I am trying to weigh up my options for next summer, and another 3 months of boring old rainy Ireland isn't looking very appealing at the moment...! haha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BuachaillAbroad

Hi OP,

I did a J1 in New York 4 years ago & it was a great experience.

I was intially in Montauk, on the coast of Long Island for about 1 month.
    Alot of Irish J1-ers go there...but left cause we were being shafted for rent (stayed in a motel room with 7 other guys...no joke) & it wasn't what I wanted-its a small fishing town...the surfing was alright there though

So I moved to NYC & got a rental flat for the next 2 months in Astoria, Queens-was cheaper than Montauk & in a good area for getting to hte city by subway.

I worked in as a busboy/bar man in nightclub in NYC-It's very hard work but a great experience...& you can make a lot of money...~€80-€150 a night, depending on the night.
    Earned enough to cover my Montauk experience & some left for a road trip in the last 2 weeks.

My advice is-try to live in New York City.

Hope that helps & enjoy the J1!!

Buachaill Abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

Hey!

Spent this Summer in Montauk at the very end of Long Island. Fabulous small fishing town with plenty of other Irish J1ers. It is very far from NYC and we had to endure a 3hour train ride anytime we wanted to go into the city which meant having to get up at half 4 to catch the half 5 train! Don't be phased by this though as Montauk is famous for its many beaches and the amount of celebrities that are spotted as its in The Hamptons.

I would definitely reccommened anyone to go to Montauk for a J1 summer as it has everything you could ask for, beaches, sun, sand, friendly people, jobs, cosy accommodation(Ann Breyers) and nightclubs with cheap drink! Nicks and The Point being the best with sloppy sundays!! :)

Advertisement