Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limited Certificate

Options
  • 19-11-2009 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has been told to apply for a limited certificate as in section 5.2 and give details of all the land he can shoot on. He is not a member of a gun club, and he has a lot of permissions all over the place. The question is if he gives a list of say 50 permissions if he shoots or is asked to shoot on other land is he in breach of his licence? or is he ok to shoot on other lands as long as he has permissions? What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

AFAIK a limited licence only permits the shooting of vermin not gamebirds. If your friend has permissions to shoot on several lands he need not be a member of a gun club to apply for a licence. All licences are now the same price (€80) so why go for a limited one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

It is for rifles and he does not want to apply for one, the Guards are telling him he has to apply for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Isn't the Limited Certificate only for shotguns?

Section 5.2 of FCA1 states (my emphasis in bold):
    5.2. - Farm/Land Nomination Details (c) (Complete this section if a Limited Certificate is applied for)

I have received a nomination in writing from the land occupier * or, I am the occupier of land where I intend to use the above shotgun only for the killing of animals and birds (other than protected wild animals and birds within the meaning of the Wildlife Act, 1976) on the farm / land.

Yes but the Guards are looking for it on his rifles? he hasn't applyed for his shotgun yet!! Mad is'nt!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

No6 wrote: »
    Yes but the Guards are looking for it on his rifles? he hasn't applyed for his shotgun yet!! Mad is'nt!!

That's a problem with the form because it doesn't recognise your friend's position. He just supplies the written permissions from the landowners and doesn't fill in section 5.2

If in doubt he can ask the Gardai to phone the FPU in Garda HQ and they'll explain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

I had to do the same supply shooting permissions,
    one or two permissions is all that is needed, and seemingly this is going to be the norm every 3 years:eek:

johnner1 wrote: »
    I had to do the same supply shooting permissions,
    one or two permissions is all that is needed, and seemingly this is going to be the norm every 3 years:eek:

Well yes. Those who are members of clubs, need to remain members, those who have permission need to keep that permission.

And we all have to prove it.

rrpc wrote: »
    Well yes. Those who are members of clubs, need to remain members, those who have permission need to keep that permission.

And we all have to prove it.

The impression I got of my friend was that they wanted every permission that he has and in fairness he does have a lot. His worry was that if he gives them a number of his permissions and he is shooting on one he didn't give is he in breach of his licence if stopped by the guards?

No6 wrote: »
    The impression I got of my friend was that they wanted every permission that he has and in fairness he does have a lot. His worry was that if he gives them a number of his permissions and he is shooting on one he didn't give is he in breach of his licence if stopped by the guards?
    No. The purpose of the permission letter for hunting is to prove you have a 'good reason' for being licensed on the firearm. Mostly the Gardai look for two different permissions but there's no hard and fast rule about it. Shooting on other land will also require permission, but in that case it's fine to be given it verbally. If the Gardai stop him, he can point them to the landowner to back up his right to be on the land.

Thanks rrpc, I'll pass this on to him.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement