Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding in Mungret

Options
  • 19-11-2009 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Can someone tell me why Mungret village is permanently flooded these days?

I pass through Mungret several times a day and there are two very bad floods in the middle of the village. Does no one clear the drains in this area?

The locals must be very annoyed with this as one is outside someone's house and the other right outside the Credit Union and the church.

Mungret is practically in Raheen these days so I wonder who is responsible (County or City) and why is nothing being done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Pikasso wrote: »
    Can someone tell me why Mungret village is permanently flooded these days?

I pass through Mungret several times a day and there are two very bad floods in the middle of the village. Does no one clear the drains in this area?

The locals must be very annoyed with this as one is outside someone's house and the other right outside the Credit Union and the church.

Mungret is practically in Raheen these days so I wonder who is responsible (County or City) and why is nothing being done?

That stretch of road in Mungret has been flooding for as long as I can remember. It's county council responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Its because of the shape of the landscape and the angle of the road.

New roads and motorways are built with a slight arc in them so the water runs off unlike our regional roads and old national roads which are flat(ish) and there are walls and ditches to stop the flow of water leaving the road.

Also the lack of drainage does not help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

The field opposite the credit union is a natural turlough - the water there rises when there is heavy rain and has done so since my dad was a boy. That's why it has never been built on.

If I remember rightly there was is similar turlough in nearby Loughmore. Used to be very popular for skating when it froze over.

Bear in mind in Mungret you're less than a mile from the Shannon. The whole area is a flood plain. As far as I'm aware some of the local people have been asking for the drains on the Caher road there to be upgraded for years now to no avail.

Advertisement