Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Company Car

• 19-11-2009 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi,
    I know this post is quite old but I am looking for similar advice. I think my situation is slightly different.

I also am faced with the choice of getting a company car or private with car allowence.

If I get my own car I dont think I get any milage, ie I get a car allowence, extra money every month + all business fuel paid. So what I have left after tax I am to use on service, tyres, car loan, etc.

I know if I get a cheap car I will probably pocket some extra cash every month but then you have the worry of it not starting or breaking down somewhere. Also I will spend most of my time in the car so it would be nce to be in a comfortable car.

I am finding it very hard to figure out which way would be best. I would prefere to get a company car but think it is a waste of money buying a brand new car.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

New thread created (originally posted here) - do not resurrect old threads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

How much mileage do you do - total per annum, not just business mileage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jackdoes

35000km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

There is a lot of good value out there so you will stand to get a good car so long as the company is not revising its allowances down on that basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

R.O.R wrote: »
    How much mileage do you do - total per annum, not just business mileage?

I can smell the sale already....:D

• Advertisement

At 35k per annum I'd seriously be considering a company car. The fact you don't have to worry about tax, insurance, servicing, tyres, breakdown etc. when you are spending a lot of time on the road.

When weighing up the difference between BIK cost and allowance, don't forget to factor the above in to the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jackdoes

It is still difficult to decide.

Let's say I get 1k per month. Over 3 years I get 36k. I could get a decent 2nd hand for about 25k and then use the rest for maintenance
    e.

Am I missing something or is that not a much better deal for me, extra money coming in to my pay pack every month instead of €600 going out.

jackdoes wrote: »

Let's say I get 1k per month. Over 3 years I get 36k. I could get a decent 2nd hand for about 25k and then use the rest for maintenance
    e.

Am I missing something or is that not a much better deal for me, extra money coming in to my pay pack every month instead of €600 going out.

You get taxed on the €1k a month so actually come out with probably around €520 after tax, or €18,720 over 3 years.

I'll make a stab at the figures for ownership as it depends on which car you go for, and your circumstances:

Insurance for 3 years: €4,500
    Car Loan repayments (€20,000 car over 5 years) - €15,012
    Tyres (3 full sets, €80 a tyre) - €960
    Tax (Band B, Co2 based) - €468
    3 years service & timing belt & replament car- €1,800

Total = €23,740 leaving you paying €5,020 out of your pocket for the car.

Based on the same value of vehicle (€20,000) at 30% BIK:
    Annual Liability = €5,400
    Monthly Liability = €450
    Tax on €450 - around €216
    Total BIK cost to you = €7,776

In this instance you end up €2,756 better off over the 3 years, and with a car at the end of it, but also anothe €10,032 over 2 more years of a car loan to pay off on a car that isn't worth that much.

If you have an issue with Clutch / flywheel / injectors (quite possible at that mileage) you could end up forking out €2,000 to fix whereas if it's a company car then someone else picks up the tab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

jackdoes wrote: »

e.

You are forget cost of credit.... unless you have 25k lying around....
    but if you where to get a loan for a €25k car, with protection in case your job goes belly up here;s the numbers from halifax for example

Loan amount : 25000
    Term : 36 months
    APR : 10.9%

Loan protection : 3306.48

Total amount borrowed: €28306.48

cost of credit: €4758.25

monthly repayments: €918.47........

then you have all your expense out of that maint, tyres, servicing ect.....

now out of the 1k a month, well not looking good....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

R.O.R WOW

I have never seen somebody put it out on paper like that. I was considering this recently and that little mathematical solution makes my decision for me.

I do NOT want to own the car! :D

Kudos to you SIR!

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    R.O.R WOW

I have never seen somebody put it out on paper like that. I was considering this recently and that little mathematical solution makes my decision for me.

I do NOT want to own the car! :D

Kudos to you SIR!

7 years experience comes in handy now and again ;)

7 years experience comes in handy now and again ;)

Until your experience tells you to put out three, horrible white cars to the same company....;):p

They're brown today btw.

Until your experience tells you to put out three, horrible white cars to the same company....;):p

They're brown today btw.

What the customer wants, the customer gets :cool:

All 3 weren't there today anyway smartarse! The Insignia is currently on it's way back from Limerick :P

What the customer wants, the customer gets :cool:

All 3 weren't there today anyway smartarse! The Insignia is currently on it's way back from Limerick :P

In that case, the Insignia is flooded. :p

Advertisement