Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA FAIR PLAY ? - Is It Worth the Paper ?

• 19-11-2009 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭

FIFA FAIR PLAY : HERE

After what happened in Stade De France last night is the FIFA FAIR Play a little weighed on the player to "Play Fair"

Where is FIFA's responsibility in all this (as i cough) VID Technology ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

For what its worth (Probably fook all) I have emailed FIFA from their website and reminded them they have a responsibility to uphold the laws of the game and ensure FAIR PLAY is endorsed at all times. If they really take this seriously then the reality is Henry has to be censored, I dont care if its a token 1 match ban or a fine but they have to be seen to do something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Scien wrote: »
    but this wont be ignored.
    Give it a week and FIFA will have already forgotten about it. They are 100% inept and are ruining the beautiful game. This has been the situation for years now and its not likely to change IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I really don't think they'll sweep it under the Carpet, the Story is Global news this Morning.
    I expect a Statement from FIFA soon with some sort of reprise.
    I doubt they'll have the courage to issue an apology to the Irish Team or Public but this wont be ignored.

Scien,

Out of all the crap flying around ... I HOPE YOUR RIGHT !

We need the FAI to be rock solid on this and be World Leaders for this change to happen .
    If they dont , they better not complain in the future if anything similar happens again .

I think its the FAI we need to get onto and push this issue , and not let it go away.
    They are our soccer voice in the World .

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

This is bulls hit of the highest Order.
    I think everyone should be emailing fifa about this!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

The handball isn't mentioned on the UEFA website in the match report.

And there's one line halfway down the match report on the FIFA website saying that Henry admitted to handling the ball. That was only added in recently and the original match report didn't mention the handball.

All FIFA will say is that this justifies the decision to put the additional referees in place behind the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Sizzler wrote: »
    For what its worth (Probably fook all) I have emailed FIFA from their website and reminded them they have a responsibility to uphold the laws of the game and ensure FAIR PLAY is endorsed at all times. If they really take this seriously then the reality is Henry has to be censored, I dont care if its a token 1 match ban or a fine but they have to be seen to do something.
    I think if the country bombarded their website with the same question they might take notice what email address did you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I really don't think they'll sweep it under the Carpet, the Story is Global news this Morning.
    I doubt they'll have the courage to issue an apology to the Irish Team or Public but this wont be ignored.

It will be ignored, as Robbie Keane said Blatter and Platini got the result they wanted form last nights match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Banter Joe wrote: »
    The handball isn't mentioned on the UEFA website in the match report.

And there's one line halfway down the match report on the FIFA website saying that Henry admitted to handling the ball. That was only added in recently and the original match report didn't mention the handball.

All FIFA will say is that this justifies the decision to put the additional referees in place behind the goal.

Jaysus, I'm after reading the match reports.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/worldcup/fixturesresults/round=15219/match=2001478/report=rp.html

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1136903.html#final+four+through+europe

I've been trying to keep things in prospective this morning but they are f*cking disgrace. Its Orwellian in its use of censorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

you won't find journalism on the FIFA or UEFA sites. They will gloss over anything that will make them look bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Fair-Play Code

The FIFA Fair Play Code for football encapsulates all of the sporting, moral and ethical principles for which FIFA has always stood and for which it will continue to fight in the future, regardless of the influences and pressures that may be brought to bear.
    The ten golden rules not only serve as a credo for FIFA as world football's governing body, but they also reinforce the sense of fraternity and cooperation among the members of the worldwide football family.
    1. Play fair
    Winning is without value if victory has been achieved unfairly or dishonestly. Cheating is easy, but brings no pleasure. Playing fair requires courage and character. It is also more satisfying. Fair play always has its reward, even when the game is lost. Playing fair earns respect, while cheating only brings shame. Remember: it is only a game. And games are pointless unless played fairly.
    2. Play to win but accept defeat with dignity
    Winning is the object of playing any game. Never set out to lose. If you do not play to win, you are cheating your opponents, deceiving those who are watching, and also fooling yourself. Never give up against stronger opponents but never relent against weaker ones. It is an insult to any opponent to play at less than full strength. Play to win, until the final whistle. But remember nobody wins all the time. You win some, you lose some. Learn to lose graciously. Do not seek excuses for defeat. Genuine reasons will always be self-evident. Congratulate the winners with good grace. Do not blame the referee or anyone else. Be determined to do better next time. Good losers earn more respect than bad winners.
    3. Observe the Laws of the Game
    All games need rules to guide them. Without rules, there would be chaos. The rules of football are simple and easy to learn. Make sure you learn them; it will help you to understand the game better. Understanding the game better will make you a better player. It is equally important to understand the spirit of the rules. They are designed to make the game fun to play and fun to watch. By sticking to the rules, the game will be more enjoyable.
    4. Respect opponents, team-mates, referees, officials and spectators
    Fair Play means respect. Respect is part of our game. Without opponents there can be no game. Everyone has the same rights, including the right to be respected. Team-mates are colleagues. Form a team in which all members are equal. Referees are there to maintain discipline and Fair Play. Always accept their decisions without arguing, and help them to enable all participants to have a more enjoyable game. Officials are also part of the game and must be respected accordingly. Spectators give the game atmosphere. They want to see the game played fairly, but must also behave fairly and with respect themselves.
    5. Promote the interests of football
    Football is the world's greatest game. But it always needs everybody's help to maintain its greatness. Think of football's interests before your own. Think how your actions may affect the image of the game. Talk about the positive things in the game. Encourage other people to watch and play fairly. Help others to have as much fun from football as you do. Be an ambassador for the game.
    6. Honour those who defend football's good reputation
    The good name of football has survived because the vast majority of people who love the game are honest and fair. Sometimes somebody does something exceptional that deserves our special recognition. They should be honoured and their fine example publicised. This encourages others to act in the same way. Help to promote football's image by publicising its good deeds.
    7. Reject corruption, drugs, racism, violence, gambling and other dangers to our sport
    Football's huge popularity sometimes makes it vulnerable to negative outside interests. Watch out for attempts to tempt you into cheating or using drugs. Drugs have no place in football, in any other sport or in society as a whole. Say no to drugs. Help to kick racism and bigotry out of football. Treat all players and everyone else equally, regardless of their religion, race, sex or national origin. Show zero tolerance for gambling on games in which you participate. It negatively affects your ability to perform and creates the appearance of a conflict of interests. Show that football does not want violence, even from your own fans. Football is sport, and sport is peace.
    8. Help others to resist corrupting pressures
    You may hear that team-mates or other people you know are being tempted to cheat in some way or otherwise engage in behaviour deemed unacceptable. They need your help. Do not hesitate to stand by them. Give them the strength to resist. Remind them of their commitment to their team-mates and to the game itself. Form a block of solidarity, like a solid defence on the field of play.
    9. Denounce those who attempt to discredit our sport
    Do not be ashamed to stand up to anybody who you are sure is trying to make others cheat or engage in other unacceptable behaviour. It is better to expose them and have them removed before they can do any damage. It is equally dishonest to go along with a dishonest act. Do not just say no. Denounce those misguided persons who are trying to spoil our sport before they can persuade somebody else to say yes.
    10. Use football to make a better world
    Football has an incredible power, which can be used to make this world a better place in which everyone can live. Use this powerful platform to promote peace, equality, health and education for everyone. Make the game better, take it to the world, and you will be fostering a better world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

patmac wrote: »
    I think if the country bombarded their website with the same question they might take notice what email address did you use?
    This..

http://www.fifa.com/contact/form.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

you won't find journalism on the FIFA or UEFA sites. They will gloss over anything that will make them look bad.

And that makes them look even worse. At times they just look incompetent beyond belief and at times they resemble an evil organisation from a Bond movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Its a farce but you have a better chance of being sucked off by pam anderson on the number 15 on the way home from work than FIFA have of reversing a decision.

especially since they seeded the whole thing to ensure crap big teams such as France could exhibit more FAIR PLAY in the world cup itself.

FIFA is just a corrupt body

Maradona was right all them years ago...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

I just used that contact form - for what use its going to do. Just reminded them of their own fair play code of conduct and ask that they re-examine it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The more people who make a comment, the better.

The fewer that complain, the easier it is for FIFA to just ignore the issue.

In the end, it may not do any good, but, no harm letting them know.

Paulw wrote: »
    The more people who make a comment, the better.

The fewer that complain, the easier it is for FIFA to just ignore the issue.

In the end, it may not do any good, but, no harm letting them know.

Yes, but IF a decision to void the game is made, and it wont.

it would have to be done pretty sharpish.

I emailed FIFA a few times

just said they were corrupt and etc...

which is the truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Sent this to them a few moments ago.
    I want to register my disgust at the blatant endorsement by FIFA last night of cheating. You might as well remove all mentions of "Fair Play" from your site because the lesson you have shown the soccer playing children of the world is if you want to win then cheating is the way forward. Forget about sportsmanship and welcome gamesmanship with open arms.

This whole qualifying campaign has been mired with controversy from the shady shifting of the goalposts with the seeding of the play offs to last nights disgusting spectacle. I don't expect you to do anything, I doubt you have he guts to do it. You have what you wanted the big guns through to the World Cup at all costs including your credibility and the tainting of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

to the original question

no, of course not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

Fifa rejects Irish calls for World Cup rematch after Thierry Henry handball
    Fifa has ruled out any prospect of France and the Republic of Ireland replaying their World Cup play-off match, despite the Irish justice minister, Dermot Ahern, this morning joining the Republic of Ireland assistant manager Liam Brady, in calling for a rematch.
    When contacted by the Guardian, a Fifa spokesman flatly denied the chance of a rematch, refering to Law 5 in the official rules of the game which states that the referee has "full authority to enforce the Laws of the Game in connection with the match to which he has been appointed," and that "the decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play are final."
    In case there was any question whether this leaves room for doubt, the International FA Board notes that: "Facts connected with play shall include whether a goal is scored or not and the result of the match."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Disagree totally .

FIFA will do nothing and hope that the World Cup Draw will make the world forget that this happened . .

The truth is that we were the thorn in their foot that nearly knocked out one of their "cash cows". . The boys in FIFA HQ are probably still celebrating the result of our game . .

Advertisement