Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota Avensis d4d 01 model_starting issues

• 19-11-2009 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi

I have a 01 toyota avensis d4d , that was sluggish to start last night and this morning, Then I tried it again there now and it wont start at all, the lights on dash come on , but all I hear is a clicking noise, tried jumpl leads and the same thing.

Any ideas what it could be, starter I was thinking

Also would a tow get it started so I can drive it to garage

Also any ideas what the cost of a starter would be

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Sounds like it could be the starter. Apparently smacking it with a hammer may get it to work.

You could try a push start and see if that get's it going. Ignition on, get car pushed up to around 10mph if possible, in to second gear then release the clutch (don't turn the key). Engine should start then if it's just the starter motor.

Apologies if you already know how to push start a car - some folk wouldn't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭ncc98071

cheers ROR , will give that a go this evening and hopefully do the trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

R.O.R wrote: »
    Sounds like it could be the starter. Apparently smacking it with a hammer may get it to work.

You could try a push start and see if that get's it going. Ignition on, get car pushed up to around 10mph if possible, in to second gear then release the clutch (don't turn the key). Engine should start then if it's just the starter motor.

Apologies if you already know how to push start a car - some folk wouldn't know.

If going the push start route bear in mind it's much harder to push start a Diesel than a Petrol.

cheers , have push started a petrol before but never a diesel
    its left in petrol station car park at the moment, so hopefully it be big enough area to get it going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

if it was sluggish last night it sounds like battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭thebull09

I could be wrong but when a car doesnt start and there is a clicking noise doesnt it mean the leads to the battery ??? try cleaning or tightening them up.

at work at the moment so it will be this evening before I can try it

hopefully get it started so I can get it to garage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

thebull09 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but when a car doesnt start and there is a clicking noise doesnt it mean the leads to the battery ??? try cleaning or tightening them up.

The clicking is the starter solenoid. That means that either a) the battery is flat b) the alternator has stopped charging the battery or c) the starter is gone.

thanks confab,

Must be the starter so, because I had jump leads on battery today for ten minutes and made no difference. So will try and push start it this evening to get it to nearest garage

thanks for all the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

What ever you do DO NOT hit the starter in a D4D Avensis.

Toyota use plastic gears inside the starters i had to get my one rebuild and the place that did it say the see them all the time after lads smack them.

check your battery/leads and earths

• Advertisement

just to let you know, tried jump leads and push starting, still no joy
    Called out breakdown cover through insurance, took the truck with jump leads to get it going, just batterytotally dead.Once I got car home and turned it off, battery gone again, so will get ne battery today

thanks for your help

Advertisement