Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burning to CD RW

• 19-11-2009 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Help Help Help. I do not have broadband on my home computer so I am trying to download itunes onto a CD from another computer so that I can install it on my home computer without having to connect to the phone line for 20 hrs !!! But it is not allowing me to download it to a disc. I have a CD-RW disc - is this OK or have I got the wrong disc. What else could I be doing wrong?? The computer just keeps telling me to insert the disc and I have !!! Please help cos it is wrecking my head. Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

what software are you using to burn the disk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

You should download to your harddrive first and then use software like cdburnerxp to burn the files to disc. You cannot burn directly to a cd-r/w without using 'special' software that treats the disc like a rewritable disc volume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Ok well a few things.
    Have you downloaded the itunes file to your desktop? If not where have you downloaded it to?

Are you sure the CD burner is working?
    Have you tried another disc? Its possible the disc is damaged.

All you should have to do is when you download the itunes file, right click on it and select Send to CD / DVD Drive and follow the instructions from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

PaddyJules wrote: »
    The computer just keeps telling me to insert the disc and I have !!!
    Are you sure that the driver is a writer and not just a regular CD or DVD drive? What you're describing is how I would expect the drive to behave if that was the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

degsie wrote: »
    You cannot burn directly to a cd-r/w without using 'special' software that treats the disc like a rewritable disc volume.

Untrue. You can burn regular CD-R sessions on a CD-RW disc (and erase the entire disc later for reuse). Packet writing (UDF) software is only required if you want the ability to do selective updating.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cdrw
    When used with traditional recording software, CD-RWs act very much like CD-Rs and are subject to the same restrictions; i.e., they can be extended, but not selectively overwritten, and writing sessions must be closed before they can be read in CD-ROM drives or players.
    Alternatively, special packet writing software may be used. This method uses a different format and can selectively update the CD; however, this comes at a significant cost in storage capacity and compatibility

• Advertisement
Advertisement