Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Super League Pre-Season Thread.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Damn that lady got right into it! two lads ain't the sharpest tools in the box. :D. Great shame about Purdham, but hoping this year Quins can make a decent impact. Top 4 possible Doofer?

See Gale's signed for 3, good news a nice talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

amacachi wrote: »

I hope so, but SL clubs were not rushing to sign Thackray as he does bring with him a reputation for being a 'disruptive influence' in the dressing-room, through his off-field antics. Hopefully Noble can instill some discipline in him, because at 30 years old he quickly running out of time and chances.

Nobody wants to see a team being the 'whipping boys' in SL, it certainly does nothing for the credibility of the franchise system.

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    I hope so, but SL clubs were not rushing to sign Thackray as he does bring with him a reputation for being a 'disruptive influence' in the dressing-room, through his off-field antics. Hopefully Noble can instill some discipline in him, because at 30 years old he quickly running out of time and chances.

Nobody wants to see a team being the 'whipping boys' in SL, it certainly does nothing for the credibility of the franchise system.

Never quite fitted into the Rhinos system for sure....

I'd like to think Noble wouldn't have added him to the squad if he didn't think he could keep him under control.

• Advertisement

I'd like to think Noble wouldn't have added him to the squad if he didn't think he could keep him under control.

So would I, but it poses the question as to why Noble left it so close to the season start to sign him?

Thackray has been available for signing throughout the close season, so I can't help thinking that Noble just couldn't find anyone else, so has had to resort to him.

Thackray has been available for signing throughout the close season, so I can't help thinking that Noble just couldn't find anyone else, so has had to resort to him.

Thats probably the truth of it....

Anybody know anything about the latest Crusaders recruit?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/celtic_crusaders/8464275.stm

8 appearances in 4 seasons for the West Tigers and released at the end of last season:rolleyes:

Clearly teams haven't been falling over themselves to sign him. Looks like another desperation signing as the season draws ever closer:(

• Advertisement

Well, there's another reason not to get married.

Didn't say whether the ring survived - hope so or his wife will be livid;)

Chad Randall to Captain Quins in Purdham's absence. What you reckon Doofer?

Oh dear, let's sincerely hope there is no substance to this report. RL does not need this kind of scandal hanging over it:(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/8469513.stm

Stupid bastards to put themselves in that situation whether it was rape or not.

Stupid bastards to put themselves in that situation whether it was rape or not.

Ordinarily I would consider that unparliamentary language, but in his case ama, I've got to agree...

Reading between the lines I think Brian McDermott is worried about the Quins getting off to a slow start to SL this season.

McDermott told BBC London 94.9: "Across the board the competition is going to be under-cooked.
    "I think there is going to be some trends of play which you'll not be able to see until, in my opinion, round eight, nine or 10."
    He continued: "We're not going to be that far off. And while we don't want to go into our first game under-cooked, that might be a reality of what's happening this year."

Quins are only due to play their first, and only, friendly against the Skolars on Friday, only a week before they start their SL season against Wakey. The Wildcats have already had warm-ups against Leeds and Wigan with Hunslet to come at the weekend, so all the squad has had at least one run-out.

Think Kear will be the happier of the two coaches going into the season opener.

Reading between the lines I think Brian McDermott is worried about the Quins getting off to a slow start to SL this season.

Is this a deliberate policy on Quins part or is the poor pre-season due to weather interrupted fixtures? I have to say I wasn't aware of this, and given that I can only see one result in week 1.

They lost two of their planned pre-season friendlies through the weather, so they have been unfortunate in their preparations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Think Chad Randall will do a decent job for us, like him as a player and 5 years at the club. We will miss Purdham though.

Harlequins are going to be undercooked, thought McDermott was fairly honest, the lack of friendlies were a bit of a 'mare but the only game we had penciled in against Super League competition was Crusaders, so don't think they were planning an overly intense pre season anyway. Can't think of too many years where we have had tough build ups.

It's not all bad though, we are number one in London after our 54 nil victory over the mighty Skolars. :o

Couple of optimistic little notes about the lads was a line saying Season Ticket sales look more healthy than last year and we have the biggest 3 year shirt sponsorship deal in the clubs history. Just wish they would release a feckin replica shirt so I can waste money on it.

Depending on how badly we start we might have a crack at top 6. Hope so anyway.

I can only see one result in week one, Quins by six (takes off rose coloured glasses - lose by 10!!!!, don't like that so puts rose glasses back on)

• Advertisement

Agree, Chad Randall is a quality player, undoubtably one of the best hookers in SL, always gives Wakey problems;)

Here is my assessment of the Trinity team for 2010. Would welcome posts on how you see your team measuring up for the year ahead.

POSITIVES. On paper, this is the strongest squad Wakey have assembled since returning to the SL. The pack is certainly going to be able to hold its own. The props are a powerful combination - Tronc, Korkidas, a bulked-up Richie Moore, King and Bibb. There is a strong back 3, selected from Morrison, Ferguson, Johnson, Demetriou and Leo-Latu, interchanging with his role at hooker with Newton and Obst.
    Wingers - Luke George is going to be a sensation this season - very fast, elusive and strong and poor old Damien Blanch, who is due to return about round 3, is due a big season.
    Demetriou played all of last season with a knee injury, after close season surgery should be a real threat from the base of the scrum.

UNCERTAINTIES. Injuries - Morrison, Johnson, Newton all were injured last season, they are no spring chickens, so for them to stay healthy is a concern. Also will Moore have a relapse of his Crohns Disease?
    A third of the squad now consists of last year's Academy-winning players. If there is an injury-crisis will they be ready and able to step into the first-team?
    Ben Jeffries - the fans are split over whether Mister Inconsistent can strike up a dangerous half-back partnership with Broughy?

CONCERNS. With at least 5 new players in the team how long will it take to gel and produce the necessary cohesiveness to be a winning team?
    Can Kear work his magic and revive the flagging performances of Terry Newton and Paul King back to their glory days?
    Will Kear stay at the club? Is the speculation that he has been ear-marked as the new England coach correct and if so will he accept the role? After the way JK has resurrected the fortunes of the club the fans would be devastated if he went.
    Goal-kicking - if Brough is injured (or banned;)) Wakey have no recognised back-up kicker, which could be a serious detriment in trying to win close matches.

With a bit of long overdue good fortune Trinity should not only be contesting a top 8 place but could also be pushing for a top 4 place. My guess is they will finish 6th in a very competitive league

Unsurprisingly, Bosc has been named new Catalans captain.

FYI folks, there's a Super League 2009 season review on Sky today...16:00 SS2 and 20:00 SS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Huge season for Bradford.

A good few changes and a few exciting signgings from Oz.

Really is make or break for McNamara. Another season of mediocrity cannot be accepted.

Injuries are going to be a huge factor in how succesful this season is going to be for the Bulls. If Menzies, Orford or Kearney get injured I think they will have problems, the squad depth, in terms of experience, looks weak and you can't expect young players to fill in vital positions.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Huge season for Bradford.

Totally agree, Bradford have got to ante up this season, no excuses.Not a great start though, appears Craig Kopczak fractured his leg in Thursdays Hull KR friendly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/bradford/8465669.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Think again toomy lad:

The injury to Bulls prop Craig Kopczak is not as bad as first feared.

Kopczak was stretchered off during last night's 18-16 friendly win at Hull KR with a suspected broken leg.

But, after undergoing an x-ray, no fracture was discovered and Kopczak will now undergo further tests to discover the extent of the injury.

Is there a thread on here for just general RL and chat? I never know where to post things like injury news/signings/rumours etc.

Advertisement