Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me pick a new handset

• 19-11-2009 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

Righty oh you mobile forum people, I'm in the process of upgrading to a new handset and have it narrowed down to a few, mainly because that's all my operator will allow me to upgrade to, here's my shortlist

LG GD900
    Nokia E71
    Nokia N86
    Samsung Omnia Pro

Now the E71 is all singing/all dancing but more of a business phone but I won't be using it for busines purposes,

The N86 I'm not too sure about, I don't like the looks or the slide out keypad.

I do like the LG though, it's a nice looking handset and I like the whole touch screen thingy, the only thing it doesn't have compared to the other two is GPS but I'm not too sure if I'll even use it that often.

And I don't know a whole lot about the Samsung, anyone ?

Anyone know how do they compare with regards to available software/apps etc available ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ConsiderThis

How can anyone here advise you when we don't know what features etc you want.

When I buy a phone, i want it to make/receive calls, send/receive texts and have a radio on it.

Have you considered your own list of features you want, and then see how it applies to the phones on your list. If they apply equaly, then why not just choose the one you like best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I said it won't be for business use so obviously various office apps etc. That's why I started the thread, I can make a judgement based on what other people thing about them, I'm not looking for a phone with specific features, more so one that's fairly versatile which can be updated with whatever I want.

The list above excludes all the phones with basic features so I obviously don't want something basic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ConsiderThis

Jip wrote: »

The list above excludes all the phones with basic features so I obviously don't want something basic.

It might be obvious to you, but not to anyone else!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Jip i've an e71 and GD900, there both very good phones, going to be selling the gd900 shortly as it was only an inbetween phone while the e71 was in the doctors,

e71 is great for the internet, battery life is above par, camera is pretty crap but it excels are everthing else, it really is one of the best phones to come out in a long while. I'd highly recommend it even if your not in business. (who knows it might inspire you to start one:))

Then we've the GD900, this is one of the coolest phones around, it's got that wow factor, when you've iphone users asking what it is you know you've got something special, if you want to look cool and have an all sigining all dancing handset it'd go with the Crystal. Interent is quick on it, browser is good, has the pinch screen web browsing same as the iphone. Texting is easy with the onscreen qwerty keybaord or else you can draw the letters on the keypad with your finger, Games are tacky but still cool at the same time. I'd also higly recommend it, if you love gadgets you'll love the LG

hope that helps..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Cheers Drunkmonkey, it looks good alright. However I'm now sorely tempted by the Samsung OmniaPro which I think I'd prefer slightly, feature wise they're close enough but the Samsung uses Windows Mobile and has GPS which shades it slightly over the LG.

• Advertisement
Advertisement