Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is the flooding in Galway at the moment?

Options
  • 19-11-2009 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Are you referring to a particular area?
    City and surrounding areas

For info see the stickied thread in Galway City for up to the minute updates by boards posters. For journeys to Dublin also see this one.

www.aaroadwatch.ie updates quite often.

See latest flood maps here http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/PublicNotices/FloodingAdvisoryNotice/

Appeal not to travel unless it's an emergency and more info http://www.galway.ie/en/media/Flooding%20Advisory%20Notice.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

kevin216 wrote: »

Spotted the postman with his wellies on earlier and thought it was a bad sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

Does anyone know how bad the back roads from Athenry to Ballinalsoe are? Are they passable with a jeep? I need to get to Dublin tomorrow. How bad is Craughwell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Ms. Ka wrote: »
    Does anyone know how bad the back roads from Athenry to Ballinalsoe are? Are they passable with a jeep? I need to get to Dublin tomorrow. How bad is Craughwell?

I just read on the commuting an transport thread that Craughwell N6 is closed and bus and rail links cancelled. I've just passed through B'sloe (bout 25 mins ago) and flooding v serious there. The Bunowen River (on the back road from Athenry to B'sloe) burst its banks last night-the Station Road was partially closed but I don't know how it was today.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kqcregg

Craughwell is jammed. Badly flooded but one way traffic being allowed at owners risk! Couple of locals helping out at the flood but it is bad. Traffic backed up for miles in both directions! Tried getting in from Ardrahan and road is flooded at railway bridge beside post office. Was half way up the spare tyre on the back of a jeep stuck in it.:eek: Eventually wormed around back roads. Maybe athenry road is the best bet.

• Advertisement

agh! Apparently Athenry is blocked as well. So cant get to work (whooh!) but cant get to Dublin airport for trip (boo!)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭pops

Getting bus to Dublin tommorrow and bus co. have said there might be delays in Craughwell. Were there buses getting through today?

They are getting thru' craughwell but the tail backs are the killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Limerick to Tuam be okay tomorrow do ye think?

Sorry for hijacking thread!

Check out this tread in Galway City forum. Lots of comments on roads over tuam way.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63094438&posted=1#post63094438

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Hi All.
    Husband just got back from Loughrea.
    He left at 3pm and we live in Galway city. Its now 21:45!!!
    Road blocked in Craughwell. They don't know what condition bridge will be in even if it subsides. It was shoulder high at 6pm.
    He went Loughrea to Gort. and Gort to Galway. Lots of floods and traffic slow but moving none the less. Call the local Garda stations if your not sure. Some water will drain from fields tonight but the army is in so they might be able to do something. Busses not running as far as I know tomorrow morning.
    Needless to say he's not going to work in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hamlet01

Hey guys, planning on leaving Dublin tonight to get home. Anyone know how Athlone-Bog Road-Tuam is coping with all of this?

Or should I consider a flight?!!

Thanks.

Does anyone know if Ballyforan is affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

Ms. Ka wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Ballyforan is affected?

ya its fairly flooded up there but the council are working on gettin it cleared..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 laneyw

hamlet01 wrote: »
    Hey guys, planning on leaving Dublin tonight to get home. Anyone know how Athlone-Bog Road-Tuam is coping with all of this?

Or should I consider a flight?!!

Thanks.

How is that road today does anyone know? I should be going to Cavan today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 shamdiver

Bog road from Athlone to Tuam is okay apparently, except for a citylink bus which has broken down part wayone of my colleagues came that way this morning. With any luck that'll be cleared soon.
    There's a good flood after Barnaderg, just before the grange bridge to contend with, but is passable. Northwards from Tuam upto Claremorris and then into Castlebar is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

kqcregg wrote: »
    Craughwell is jammed. Badly flooded but one way traffic being allowed at owners risk! Couple of locals helping out at the flood but it is bad. Traffic backed up for miles in both directions! Tried getting in from Ardrahan and road is flooded at railway bridge beside post office. Was half way up the spare tyre on the back of a jeep stuck in it.:eek: Eventually wormed around back roads. Maybe athenry road is the best bet.

did you go moyode? im trying to plan a route for my g'f to get out from city to loughrea. i was thinking turn off just after the railway track in craughwell and make it onto the athenry-loughrea road

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

All those roads are closed Go to Doughiska. Wait for emergency service vehicle to enter Motorway and follow it carefully with hazards on ( do not overtake ) .

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Heard parts of the Galway - Ballinasloe motorway have been opened to limited traffic including emergency services.

Anyone know if this is wishful thinking and if its open how do you become limited traffic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 twinkletoes06

Hi guys,

anyone know what road from Gort to Loughrea is like at the moment?? Really have to get home from Limerick tonight!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Gort - Loughrea Ok but heavy traffic and slow .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 hobsonschoice

Will be opening one lane with a 50mph limit between droghishka and ballinsloe.
    They are just running the road to clear it of debris etc. Should be open by clocking off time

• Registered Users Posts: 36 galwaypianist

Can anybody confirm that cos I am plying a gig in Mullingar this evening and desperately seeking the way out from Galway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Starting to appear on the news sites. Doesn't say what time though.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/9783-new-galway-motorway-open-early-tackle-flooding-crisis

Caribs

Heard its a 50 kph limit not mph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jambi

posted this info in the city thread too -

According to GBFM there is a 10 mile tailback into Gort. Labane is flooded. Crowe St. in Gort is flooded. Local diversions in place.

For the moment N6 is not officially open. They are working to get construction traffic and machinery off road. Some people are using the road but it is not formally open. Accident waiting to happen until road is cleared.

N6 will open later in the day.

Apparently there are already some people queuing at Galway Clinic to get on N6 - GBFM have said the road will not open til 3 or 4 pm today at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 p1000

Does anyone know what time its opening in 'the afternoon'? Need to get to Athlone before 4. AA Roadwatch says the road to Roscommon is passable but i've heard its hard to get onto that road in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

1.30pm according to galwaynews

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rushrovers

please let this be true i need to get home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    All those roads are closed Go to Doughiska. Wait for emergency service vehicle to enter Motorway and follow it carefully with hazards on ( do not overtake ) .

Apparently it is the actions of people like this that are delaying or postponing the opening of the road...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement