Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is the flooding in Galway at the moment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Opening delayed until 5 or 6pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hamlet01

Latest from AA Roadwatch:

*GALWAY* • Galway County Council have confirmed that 26km's of the M6 Dublin/Galway Rd (under construction) will open temporarily later today, to bypass the flooding at Ballinasloe, Loughrea and Craughwell. Single Lane Traffic will be in operation and a strict speed limit of 50km per hr will apply. No time has been confirmed. • The N6 Galway/Dublin Rd remains closed at Ballinasloe & Craughwell. • The Galway/Monivea Rd (R339) is blocked at several spots between Carnmore Cross and Monivea. • N17 Galway/Tuam Rd is blocked at Tuam, Claregalway and Loughgeorge. • Most routes around Corofin are impassable as the River Corrib burst its banks. • The Loughrea/Athenry Rd (R349) is impassable.
    • Travelling to Connemara from the east divert via Westport. Bus Eireann and Irish Rail services have been cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hamlet01

Latest from AA Roadwatch:

*GALWAY* • Galway County Council have confirmed that 26km's of the M6 Dublin/Galway Rd (under construction) will open temporarily later today, to bypass the flooding at Ballinasloe, Loughrea and Craughwell. Single Lane Traffic will be in operation and a strict speed limit of 50km per hr will apply. No time has been confirmed. • The N6 Galway/Dublin Rd remains closed at Ballinasloe & Craughwell. • The Galway/Monivea Rd (R339) is blocked at several spots between Carnmore Cross and Monivea. • N17 Galway/Tuam Rd is blocked at Tuam, Claregalway and Loughgeorge. • Most routes around Corofin are impassable as the River Corrib burst its banks. • The Loughrea/Athenry Rd (R349) is impassable.
    • Travelling to Connemara from the east divert via Westport. Bus Eireann and Irish Rail services have been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tiramisu

Does anyone know what the road is like from Oranmore to Tuam, is it passable?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

i need to get to athlone tomorrow morning from ballinrobe. Any one know what route would best considering floods??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

Tuam to Athlone via Mountbellew might be your best bet.

Looks like the M6 will be open for Galway to Loughrea and Ballinasloe bypass but you still have to get into Galway.

I would go via Tuam unless someone else reports flooding.

From AA Roadwatch

Updated: 20/11/2009 19:31:42

WARNING! HIGH TIDE IN THE WEST IS AT 9PM. WATER LEVELS WILL RISE AGAIN FROM 7:30PM. For more information on all areas click on Live Traffic map. *GALWAY* • Drivers on the N6 Dublin/ Galway Rd can now go on the N6 from Dublin to Balinasloe and then use the as yet unfinished M6 Balinasloe Bypass as far as Loughrea. • From there you must still divert to Gort or Athenry as there is still no route to pass Craughwell. The as yet unfinished M6 may also open at Craughwell by 9pm approx. Single Lane Traffic is in operation and a strict speed limit of 50km per hr will apply. • The Galway/ Monivea Rd (R339) is closed and all traffic is diverting at Carnmore Cross over to the N17 Galway/ Tuam Rd at Claregalway which is taking 3hours. • Leaving Galway directly on the N17 Tuam Rd there is a two hour delay due to flooding at Two Mile Ditch and Claregalway. • The N18 Galway/ Ennis delayed by 30 mins, between Oranmore and Gort. At Gort there is a diversion due to flooding at Crowe St.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RANIA

will the motorway be open all the way to galway by morning?how to get from galway city to loughrea tomorrow????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 PJaysus

on aa roadwatch site, it says it is flooded at claregalway and two-mile Ditch. Its not really clear if its passable or not.

more details check out aa roadwatch. Link below.

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/traffic/story.asp?id=106032

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cully355355

Ballinasloe not looking well at all

Thanks for that, the information is all a bit vague, can't get any definite info on whether it's passable or not. Anyone travelled that way this evening?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 PJaysus

I haven't gone that way, but when I had to go home on Friday, I rang 11850, and found out the phone numbers of a petrol station on my way home, which was Dublin Road. Because they were beside the road, and were watching the chaos all day, they were able to tell me which roads were bad / closed etc.
    Its worth a try.

Some other posts here say that its passable now. But flood water is not good for a car as I found out, so you have to ask yourself is it really worth the hassle. Do you absolutly have to make the trip? If the answer is no, then I would stay put. But its your call.

check out this post relating to N17
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055743536

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

is it possible to get into balinasloe town from galway?

Thanks for the info, good advice, I'm going to stay put!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Yeah, I came into it earlier at the new roundabout where you take first exit for the town and second exit for Portumna, there was a sign saying road closed but nobody around it, you can drive down no problem, you just can't get out the other side of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kattierney

Drove from dublin to Tuam this eve. After looking at Ballyforan for ages decided my car didn't like the look of it. About a foot high with good flow across it. Plenty of others chanced it and got across ok.

I went back for the detour via Dysart towards Ballygar and the N63. All were passable after that. (100-200m)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Squiggles24

Anyone know if there is anyway from loughrea to athenry????

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

did you take the regular route from galway to b'sloe or is there diversions?

i've to work out there tomorrow night, but wouldn't mind the night off too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I came through Gort and Loughrea along the diversion, dunno what its like now with the motorway open, hopefully quicker than my 3.5 hours to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Does anybody know what the N17 is like today? I have to get from Moycullen to a gig in Tuam this evening but I don't want to get stranded with a van full of gear. Thanks, AA roadwatch seems to be overloaded, can't access it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Power-surge

Has Mountbellew been affected?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

I drove from Galway - Oranmore - Gort - Loughrea - Ballinasloe - Athlone last night, and it took 3.5 hours, very heavy traffic. Then coming back from athlone early in the morning was a dream! Motorway from Athlone - Ballinasloe (they'd opened bits of motorway to bypass the town) - loughrea as normal, then all along the new motorway to Doughiska! it was empty, straight and quick to get home! Can't wait til it's open for real...

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Think Two mile ditch still flooded so you will have to come around to Ballybrit and come down the hill to access N17. Apart from that it is fairly ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Binsky

Galway County Council's website has fairly detailed information on the areas around Galway county that are badly flooded and the roads that aren't passable. It also gives info on what diversions to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

dec25532 wrote: »
    Think Two mile ditch still flooded so you will have to come around to Ballybrit and come down the hill to access N17. Apart from that it is fairly ok.

Please don't post misinformation. It doesn't help anyone.

OP, Twomileditch is impassable.

If you're planning on going through Claregalway, forget about it. The bridge is under about four or five feet of water and the road is impassable along the stretch from the Spar to the Arches Hotel.

And even if you did want to give Claregalway a whirl, you can't. The locals have blocked both sides of the flood with tractors etc to stop lorries going through the village and worsening the damage to the houses and shops there.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

the road thru craughwell will be closed for a long time.looks like the bridge may need to be knocked down and rebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Any news on the state of the railway bridge over the Suck in Ballinasloe?Heard a rumour it was about to collapse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭greengreen

I know that you can't get into Galway via Athenry and that Claregalway is still close but just heard that loughgeorge detour via headford road is also flooded. Has anybody used it today (sunday) and how did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Drove that road[Loughgeorge to Headford road via Corrandulla] a few hours ago and it was fine. From there into Clonboo and towards the city has some dodgy patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Serious traffic delays coming into Galway on the Curraghline/Headford road, at least a 5-6 mile tailback when I came back up to Tuam about an hour ago. Road partially flooded near McGaughs causing the problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Any chance they'll close that road?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement