Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is the flooding in Galway at the moment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

Dublin to Galway in just under 3 hours at 1am this morning. Grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Waters are rising and there is an hour and a half tailback at the moment. If this road is closed then there is no other feasible access from north Galway.

Lucky hoors. Came from Carrick on Shannon to Galway this morning, had to divert towards Sligo way because of floods and came back on the N17 (and passed by where the students were tragically killed) so in that context the three hour journey back to the city safely was something of a consolation. Bastards who tailgate in wet and windy conditions should be shot on sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

dec25532 wrote: »
    Waters are rising and there is an hour and a half tailback at the moment. If this road is closed then there is no other feasible access from north Galway.

Ah, there's always a way. N17 - N63 - Cregmore (take C&F Tooling turn on Monivea road) - Derrydonnell - Oranmore - Galway. Still ok as of 6.30pm, some flooding, but passable.

Of course, there's also Headford - Ballinrobe - Cong - Maam - Oughterard - Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Live in Tuam, don't think I'm going to go to work tomorrow. Who's with me? Lets rent some DVD's and make popcorn, come on over to my gaff in your jammies...

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

>2 hours to get into Galway from halfway between Loughgeorge/Corrandulla via Clonboo and Headford Road at 9am!

Don't fancy going back that way tonight with all the traffic - any more flooding on the CurraghLine would close that too!

Can I go through Cregmore by turning left at Carnmore Cross and then the 1st right up to Cregmore NS? Or do I have to go all the way out to Derrydonnell and up to Cregmore from there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RedDress

Cregmore is badly flooded, don't think you can get thru there now. I also came the cloonboo way this morning, took ages...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Gwynston wrote: »
    >2 hours to get into Galway from halfway between Loughgeorge/Corrandulla via Clonboo and Headford Road at 9am!

Don't fancy going back that way tonight with all the traffic - any more flooding on the CurraghLine would close that too!

Can I go through Cregmore by turning left at Carnmore Cross and then the 1st right up to Cregmore NS? Or do I have to go all the way out to Derrydonnell and up to Cregmore from there?

Forget about coming up our side.....ull end up in a worst state. The water is receeding a lot at curraghline..bridge in claregalway still blocked off....

Another option might be to head to Athenry, north on the R347, straight across the Roscommon Road and then left through Corofin back to the N17 where I can head home via Loughgeorge.

Or does anyone know if it's passable now from where the R347 crosses the N63 straight back towards Turloughmore/Lackagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Live in Tuam, don't think I'm going to go to work tomorrow. Who's with me? Lets rent some DVD's and make popcorn, come on over to my gaff in your jammies...

'cptr

My Dad got to Clonboo and turned back to Tuam. While he isn't a DVD and popcorn man, he'll be in bliss for the next few days when he doesn't need to work!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭moomoo2007

Does anyone know anymore about the athenry route it says on aa roadwatch
    Galway - A number of road closures are in place in Athenry due to flooding[URL="javascript:newWindow('../popmap/map.asp?x=150177&y=227693&id=106229&zoomlevel=5')"][/URL]sp01.gifMotorists should avoid the area, anyone know anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

moomoo2007 wrote: »
    Does anyone know anymore about the athenry route it says on aa roadwatch
    Galway - A number of road closures are in place in Athenry due to floodingsp01.gifMotorists should avoid the area, anyone know anymore

Derrydonnell road into Athenry is fine except for delays due to road works on the underpass of the new M6, I think Athenry Craughwell road is open to, all other roads in and out of Athenry are flooded at some point.

But the the council are reporting the Athenry-Tuam road to be OK:

"For essential travel to Galway City the following detour is in place - Tuam to Horseleap Cross via the R332. Turn right on to the N63 to Abbeyknockmoy and on to Annagh Cross on the N63. Turn left on R347 to Athenry. Take the R348 to Derrydonnell and Galway via the N6."

From here:
    http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/PublicNotices/FloodingAdvisoryNotice/

That's why I was hoping to go home that way (to avoid the Headford Road tailbacks) and maybe turn off to go through Corofin and back down N17 to Loughgeorge.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Hi Can anybody confirm of deny that this entire strech of road is closed or can local traffic get through.

I know Just beyond Ardrahan at Quinns petrol station is closed. There was a slight diversion around labane for that but maybe the old road is getting torn to bits by now.

There was also a flood at Kiltartan just near the rail way tracks about 2 miles the Galway side of Gort. Serious delays were being caused there also as a side road could only take one way traffic.

I live in Ardrahan and want to know can I drive from Galway through Oranmore Round about, Clarinbridge and Kilcolgen to get to Ardrahan?

Any help would be appreciated before 5pm. Been trying to listen to GalwayBay FM but missed a few reports.

Cheers

Galway Bay have confirmed the Oranmore to Ardrahan is open for Local traffic.

Road closed at Kiltartan

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

The main Athenry - Tuam road is fine, I came back there about five this evening. However it was very, very slow from Galway all the way out to Athenry, and then a big delay coz of the roadworks before Athenry. I was on the bike and it still took me near an hour and a half Eyre Square-Tuam filtering all the way, wouldn't fancy it in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 laneyw

whats the best route at moment to get from headford to claregalway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tibomalfet

Hi All, just let you know that the road from gort to galway is closed as there is inpassable flooding at kiltartan, and labane. Traffic is currntly being dircted to loughrea and onto galway then, although you can go through kinvara and onto galway that way. will add some pictures of flooding aound gort tomorrow if anyone else wants to put pics up feel free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 The_Saint

Hi,
    I'm just wondering if you were out on Saturday with your camera near Gort, did you get any pics of the strange clouds about 4pm, they were amazing, I was driving from Gort towards Ardrahan and they were overhead, then as I went through Ardrahan they moved away... really rare sight they're called Mammatus clouds... anyway someone round the area must have got some photos of the strange sky as they were out photographing the floods there, did you see them?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

Means there is no through traffic?

• Advertisement

I couldn't go any further than Carron form Corofin Clare.

Does anyone know how's coast road like?

Yes the road is blocked after Ardrahan and Kiltartan and no real option to divert ... don't know how long it will be closed for either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mickeyfinns

I heard the headford roads have long tall backs but athenry is another option or u could try going to cregmore cross but dont no if that road is opened yet but look on jimmy normans website he has all the latest news on the road closures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

Is it possible to get from Tuam (N17) to Galway Airport.

Claregalway is flooded, but turning left at Mystical Rose Nursing home takes you to Egan's in Casla - then right to Carnmore Cross.

Is this road open.?

laneyw wrote: »
    whats the best route at moment to get from headford to claregalway?

You could come along the main road and turn down at Corrandulla, head towards Peggy's Bar and continue right towards Claregalway. The roads are wet but okay. There is a flood the Headford side of Corrandulla but it is passable.

There seems to be a divetion through Loughrea...May take a long time to get to Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Western501

Does anybody know if the Cregmore road between N18 (Claregalway - Oranmore) and N63 Roscommon road is open?

Western501 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the Cregmore road between N18 (Claregalway - Oranmore) and N63 Roscommon road is open?

No, that road is under a serious amount of water with a number of cars stuck there. To get to the Roscommon road from Galway city go out to Oranmore, turn left for Carnmore cross, turn right and go as far as Egan's pub and then turn left for Cregmore and continue to the Roscommon turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Western501

Hi Dec, Thanks for the information. My missus is in Lackagh, & is heavily pregnant. She has a hospital appointment tomorrow morning. So am trying to figure out the quickest/safest way to get to Galway. She's a bit nervous of Headford Rd. Unfortunately I'm working in Donegal, this week. Maybe the best option is to go through Cregmore, past school & then get on Carnmore Rd.
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Does that mean the flooding is cleared at Greaney Glass on the Monivea road from Carnmore Cross?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement