Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is the flooding in Galway at the moment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Western501 wrote: »
    So am trying to figure out the quickest/safest way to get to Galway. She's a bit nervous of Headford Rd.

The Headford Road was a lot better today (once the the abandoned car was removed :rolleyes: ) Only took half an hour to get into town. Probably cos a lot of Tuam traffic was directed via Athenry.

The flood at the Clare River bridge is still there, but passable and they're putting sandbags down to hopefully stop it getting any worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 hobsonschoice

OK, You can still drive from Oranmore all the way up to Quinns Petrol station at Labane. Thats it though. There is no through road to Gort.

There is away to get to the stretch between Labane and Kiltartan, But then again at Kiltartan its impassable. In fact, i just heard that the church in Kiltartan has up to 7ft of water washing about in it.

All the short cuts behind Adrahan and Labane are 99% flooded, there is one 5min route back to the otherside of quinns petrol station as mentioned above.

Closer to town, The N18 , about 1 mile south of Kilcolgan, One side of the road is flooded and there are cones filtering everyone onto the one side of the road. BE CAREFUL here, no lights or much advance warning so there could well be a head on there if they don't identify it better soon.

Kilcolgan bridge. Pretty frightening there at the moment really, everytime i drive over it i think of all those bridges in Cumbria collapsing, anyway, it appears ok at present and i suspect it may get slighly wet at high tide, but can't see it really flooding the road unless we get a few more torrential downpours.

so from Oranmore all the way clarinbridge, Kilcolgan Clear.

I am unaware if the road from Mother Hubbards in kilcolgan will get you all the way to Kinvara but judging from the lack of reports on that road i suspect its clear. Just don't expect to be able to cut from Kinvara up to Gort.

As of 1.30 pm nov 24th
    Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

richieg wrote: »
    Does that mean the flooding is cleared at Greaney Glass on the Monivea road from Carnmore Cross?

No the water level there has increased by 2 ins totally impassible, the roscommon rd is also blocked beyond the Topas garage. Check

www.galway.ie

For up to date flood notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

No, greaney glass flood will be there for at least another couple of days. So it looks like only two means of access to the city from the Tuam side at the moment. It is true that Headford road improved this morning despite a car having broken down on the inward journey. Claregalway needs to open up as quickly as possible though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Galway Print

I am unaware if the road from Mother Hubbards in kilcolgan will get you all the way to Kinvara but judging from the lack of reports on that road i suspect its clear. Just don't expect to be able to cut from Kinvara up to Gort.

The road to Kinvara has remained perfect all the while, no problems at all.

It is possible to get to Gort from Kinvara, did so yesterday anyway without problems but some diversions. If you don't know the area though possibly not advisable as a bit of local knowledge helpful.

The main route to Gort is blocked as it emerges at Kiltartan.

The other route, turning by the post office and then first right, should still be ok but cannot be sure as I joined that heading in slightly further over from the new line/Moy/Funchen direction.

That is flooded in the usual place near Gort so you have to head for the high ground via the golf course and then down into Gort.

As of yesterday.

Neil

• Advertisement

Ah ha,
    I was wondering about that road from Kinvara, I take it you mean the road that heads up the hill on the left, when you first enter Kinvara, and comes out with the road which runs past Lockwoods on right? (now flooded)

That might be good for me if the N18 starts to congest again.

I am just around the corner from Lockwoods, Only about half a mile from the edge of the Kiltartan flooding!.

Ah ha,
    I take it you mean the road that heads up the hill on the left, when you first enter Kinvara, and comes out with the road which runs past Lockwoods on right? (now flooded)

That might be good for me if the N18 starts to congest again.

I am just around the corner from Lockwoods, Only about half a mile from the edge of the Kiltartan flooding!.

That would be the first road to Gort yes, turn and go past the post office but I would presume that to be flooded all over the place and no way through. Is it Lydican castle along there? Before joining the road near Lockwoods.. that has a seasonal lake most of the year so I would guess that is full up now.

The second one, turning right just past the PO, heads altogether different direction and without the flooding comes into Gort down near the new shopping centre. Going over the golf course diversion it rejoins that same road.

Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

greengreen wrote: »
    I know that you can't get into Galway via Athenry and that Claregalway is still close but just heard that loughgeorge detour via headford road is also flooded. Has anybody used it today (sunday) and how did you get on?

You can get from Athenry to Galway City via Derrydonnell.
    The Carnmore road is closed between Carnmore Cross and Casla.

Right i see, Yeah the castle is there and there is whats usually a small lake, I think you are right , i'm sure that must be totally flooded there as well. That's why I was thinking there was no through road from Kinvara up to Labane basically, but i guess if you need to avoid huge tailbacks on the N18 and you need to get to Gort, then the Kinvara route is a pretty good way to do it if you know your way about.

Unfortunately, I need to get this between Kiltartan and Labane so i'm still left with only the N18 for now.

Sounds dreadful over there!

Looks like it will get worse before it gets better too. Easing off now but been fairly steady all day. Came home early from Galway and flooded fields now lapping up against the road on the Kinvara side of Balindeeren, doubt it would block the road but could well cross it.

Does anyone know if the road to Adrahan is clear from Kinvara? I have to take pooch to Galway Kennels on Friday and he could probably swim from there!

Neil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭cjpm

Need to get from Crusheen to Oranmore, what's the best way??

Galway County Council are discussing the possibility of closing the Headford Road out of the city as another stretch is gradually flooding. Advice would be to leave Galway city as soon as possible if heading towards Headford or Tuam directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Teaistheonlyjob

Have just heard that the Gort to Kinvara road diversion by the golf course is flooded so the only way around Kiltartan is via Loughrea.

Have just heard that the Gort to Kinvara road diversion by the golf course is flooded so the only way around Kiltartan is via Loughrea.

Thanks for that update! Jeez.. its worse its getting for sure!

There were a couple of dodgy bits, guess they have filled up now too. Going to be a loooong way around to Shannon on Saturday for us now.

Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ep71

im supposed to be heading up tonight from mayo, how bad is it? cloonboo i presume

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Teaistheonlyjob

Thanks for that update! Jeez.. its worse its getting for sure!

There were a couple of dodgy bits, guess they have filled up now too. Going to be a loooong way around to Shannon on Saturday for us now.

Neil

I know...it's just so bad. Commute from Labane to Limerick everyday so have been camping out with friends down here for the last few days. Have been getting regular updates from back home to stay down in here in Limerick. Will I ever get back to Labane again?

That is brutal!

I think it is going to vary.. seems like there are two main types of flooding (not an expert at all of course, but) with the overflowing rivers, the flood waters that burst the banks can drain back into the rivers once enough gets down to the sea.

The other, especially around Gort for example, is the geological nature that causes the seasonal lakes that have been so troublesome. Better in recent years with the work they have done, but I have seen them rise and stay virtually the same until the summer has arrived in some years!

Just nowhere to go and drain away. Slow seepage and evaporation is their MO. Well a few days of drying wind without this rain and that should drop the latest flooded bits enough with luck. Places like the road from the church direct to Gort on this route will be flooded for months though.

Mind you, every cloud... etc.. we have a rainwater supply so it is not all bad for some!

Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭d.a.r.r.a.g.h

The Flooding in Kiltartan is terrible. Apparently the local church in Kiltartan is under 6 feet of water. And I have to go to school tomorrow by there!
    12944_101544956539334_100000514912653_42836_4442676_n.jpg

It's not really surprising though, the fields and by-roads around it have been flooded since Thrusday.

Here's a map of all affected areas in Co. Galway. http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/PublicNotices/FloodingAdvisoryNotice/N18%20Kiltartan%20diversion.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4 keith194

The Flooding in Kiltartan is terrible. Apparently the local church in Kiltartan is under 6 feet of water. And I have to go to school tomorrow by there!
    12944_101544956539334_100000514912653_42836_4442676_n.jpg

It's not really surprising though, the fields and by-roads around it have been flooded since Thrusday.

Here's a map of all affected areas in Co. Galway. http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/PublicNotices/FloodingAdvisoryNotice/N18%20Kiltartan%20diversion.pdf

When was this photo taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Anyone got any reasonably new nformation on the route from Westport to Parkmore , Headford rd passable ? Neal/Cross ?
    Worked from home last 2 days but need to head in tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

Not much info but Ballinrobe to Kilmaine is clear now (as of 2 hrs ago) with barely any water on the road at the points that were flooded a few days ago. Which means you have a clear run to Headford. Main problems are likely to be at Corrundula cross and on the CurraghLine. I'll be driving that route early in the morning too so I'm hoping it's still open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EchoMike

Gort to Kinvara via Tierneevan (golf club) opened again tonite for while at least as council have dumped tonnes of gravel to make it pass-able but water rising rapidly there.....slow as there is work ongoing to try and keep this from washing away. Passed through circa 8pm......no easy alternative I believe as tubber-kinvara/Gort-Kinvara(Via Kiltartan) not passable.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭shnethb

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the roads from Loughrea to Kinvara Via Oranmore/Kilcolgan are clear. I know there is some bad flooding around Ardrahan. My girlfriend has to go there tomorrow and Im down the country so I just want to make sure it will be safe for her.

Many thanks.

As of now Headford road to Galway city still open despite rising waters. It has stopped raining and winds have gotten up which might help the situation. Traffic still passin through Corrandulla cross and onto Clonboo. Should be okay for the morning.

All I know is that Oranmore to Kilcolgan is okay and there has been nothing to suggest that the road to Kinvara from there is blocked. So I take it that she will have a clear run. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

N17 is open again at Claregalway - one lane.
    I imagine it will be slow, but at least it is moving in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Has the flood waters gone down at claregalway or are they just trying to take some pressure off the headford rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Western501

According to Galway Co Council website, N17 at Claregalway has been only opened for inbound traffic only travelling from North of Claregalway.
    So you still cannot travel from Galway -> Tuam.
    Hope this will change later in the day. But I haven't heard anything .

Flood waters have reduced according to Galway County Council and a stop go system will be in place by this afternoon. Headford Road a nightmare this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Will traffic be able to travel through Claregalway from Galway to Tuam this evening? I'm hoping to leave Galway around 4.00

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement