Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is the flooding in Galway at the moment?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭steamboat

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    Will traffic be able to travel through Claregalway from Galway to Tuam this evening? I'm hoping to leave Galway around 4.00

According to Galway County Council advisory as of 2.50pm today:

"N17 – Galway to Tuam – Now passable and open to two way traffic at Claregalway. Motorists are advised to proceed with caution."

http://www.galway.ie/en/media/Flooding%20Advisory%20Notice.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RyanAsh

Does anyone know how would i drive down to Shannon from Galway city to avoid the floods? I've a low car so dont want to risk it. Im thinking via loughrea to get to Gort but according to AA roadwatch website from gort to Ennis is closed and im seeing pictures on the Clare FM website of the Ennis bypass motorway flooded. AA roadwatch advise diverting via Tubber but theres pics on Clare FM of Corofin and that area all flooded too so my guess is that road would be flooded too....maybe not impassable tho i suppose? Anyone know for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

You should post this on the Galway city flooding thread. It's getting more attention and others have asked similar questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭tierney2

Limerick to Ballinasloe any ideas? is portumna very busy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Just wondering if the route Thurles to Galway city via Portumna is open, got a mate travelling up to Connemara Saturday.

Thanks,

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

For info see the stickied thread in Galway City for up to the minute updates by boards posters. For journeys to Dublin also see this one.

www.aaroadwatch.ie updates quite often.

See latest flood maps here http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/PublicNotices/FloodingAdvisoryNotice/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭d.a.r.r.a.g.h

johngalway wrote: »
    Just wondering if the route Thurles to Galway city via Portumna is open, got a mate travelling up to Connemara Saturday.

Thanks,

John

As far as I know, the bridge in Portumna is open to single lane traffic on a stop/go basis. You should expect delays

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

AbbEyknockmoy passable? Looking to go to Cavan from Lackagh?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

As far as I know, the N63 Galway to Roscommon now open bar a minor hiccup in Moylough where the waters are still a bit high but nothing to worry about. Athleague was bad though so care (or a phone call) has to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Latest from AA Roadwatch

Updated: 10/12/2009 19:25:37
    *GALWAY* No major delays around Galway at this stage.

*N18/GALWAY* A local diversion remains in place on the N18 Galway/Ennis Rd at Labane following flooding in November.

Unstickying thread, leaving Offers for help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TheSquire

This is a photo of Craughwell which appeared on the RTE website back in November. Could anyone tell me from which point in Craughwell is this photo taken, i.e. what area am I looking at. Thanks.

0002c623-400-r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭a123

Picture is taken from front of house looking onto their front lawn, the car is parked on the side of the road in front of the house, and the expanse of water is Rahasane turlough although it was like living beside the sea then. I posted a link to more pictures taken of this area somewhere on one of the flooding threads, I will have a look and see if I can find it.

Thanks for that. If you are familiar with Craughwell you might be able to tell me if any new housing estates or any new commercial development was flooded during the flood event in November ??

I don't think any if the new estates were flooded, they are on slightly higher ground above the village, the pizza/chip shop was badly flooded and the basement of the new shopping development (where chemist is) was flooded.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055745044&page=3

Ok. Thanks. I see those photos too. Thanks. Which side of the river is the new shopping development ?

Galway side, the pictures of the village were taken from just outside shopping development, looking towards the Loughrea side of the village.
    The commercial development itself is on an incline going up the village so escaped mostly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement