Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Method to find least windy part of garden?

Options
  • 19-11-2009 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Heya Folks!

I got myself an acer maple during the summer which is in a pot in a corner of my garden - it's lost all but 3 of its leaves at this stage (which apparently is normal enough for them?) in the wind that's around at the minute - I think it swirls around the garden quite a bit. Is there any method that people use to try and find the most sheltered place in a garden? I've got a rectangular shaped garden with probably 5 / 6 feet walls and no major sculptural features or big bushes / trees to act as wind breaks - the walls at the sides are bedded with big shaped shrubs and phormiums. The acer could well come back happily in spring - the leaves that came off it are totally healthy so it looks like it was the wind that carried them off, just trying to take the best care of it I can :)

Cheers,

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

Just make a simple anemometer or simple wind sock. Not exactly high tech but will give a good indication of the wind pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Seeing where the leaves end up is often a good indication of swirls & eddies. But remember that the wind direction changes. Can you not plant it in a corner so that it is protected on two sides ?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

It's sitting in one at the minute - in a corner with a large window and the wall to next door. I'll give the sock a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Acer palmatum, or japanese maple, is deciduous so yes, losing its leaves at this time of year isn't a problem. Depending on the variety, some are a little hardier than others - but not by much in my own experience. If you have a dwarf version with a weeping habit, for instance, that's a beautiful tree, but you want a sheltered spot for it definitely. If the tree you have is in a corner with a wall on one side and a window on the other then it should overwinter there quite happily.

If it's a dwarf, keep it in the pot - that way you can move it around as the seasons change if needs be. They don't like full, strong sunlight (certainly not on a hot day - you'd get away with it in Ireland I think, up to about 20-22 degrees).

The tree will bud and come into leaf in the spring again - what colour are the leaves, is it a red variety, or a green that changes to red in autumn?

I've got a japanese maple myself but can't identify the variety - which is a problem because there's quite a range of sizes in there... Will have to get the books out and try to figure out which one it is. I think it may be just straight up acer palmatum, so growing up to 8metres! Just snapped it up two years at a garden centre, because I recognised the species in spite of it being sickly at the time, and it was a steal on special at $10. The only thing the label said was 'acer palmatum'. Gave it a bit of love and care, and it's healthy now - but now I'm worried I have a potential 20ft tree in a pot... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

Cheers for the info! It's a red acer palmatum, about 2.5 feet high now and in about a 25cm pot so it can easily be moved and it's in a fairly sheltered side (or so I thought). I've a tiny little green one in a pot on my desk inside too which is lovely - I reckon I don't give the house plants enough fresh air though. Do any of you put them outside for a few hours every now and then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

No - you don't want to climate change your houseplants like that! There's a big difference between climate indoors and outdoors - and movement can cause shock in the plant, resulting in leaf loss. The one way they can fall down a bit indoors is that you can't underestimate the effect of 'foliar feeding', or the nutrients and elements that plants absorb through their leaves. A spray bottle filled with clean water for a bit of a mist now and again helps them thrive indoors - assuming you're not feeling game enough to wrestle them into the bath. (I used to have a dracaena that I put in the bath for a thorough soaking with the shower head every now and again, and it flourished).

Remember to feed your indoor houseplants now and again with a suitable fertiliser - the potting soil they're in is good for about a year before it'll need a boost.

Advertisement