Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henry should be banned from the World Cup

• 19-11-2009 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

I think FIFA have to take action against Thierry Henry for what he did last night. He controlled the ball with two movements of the hand, so there is no way he can claim that it was an unconscious act. He knew exactly what he was doing and he even had the audacity to celebrate the goal. If he had any backbone, he would have informed the referee that he used his hand. He blatantly cheated and he should be ashamed of himself.

Next summer at the World Cup, all the teams will be wearing a 'fair play' badge on their sleeve. Now, if Fifa are serious about the 'fair play' aspect of the game, then I think it's only fair and reasonable that an appropriate ban is handed out to Henry. Imo, he deserves to be banned for the entire World Cup for his reprehensible actions last night.

Anyone agree?

Maybe we could petition FIFA calling to ban Henry.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If he'd been caught in the match he would have gotten a yellow card.

Hardly fair that just because he got away with it he should get banned for 3+ matches.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

You honestly believe after manipulating the rules to ensure France get every chance to get to the WC that Platini is suddendly going to allow their best striker banned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yep - he should be banned from the WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nope, any action should have taken place last night not for next summer. Just boo him a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

he shouldnt be near the WC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Banning Henry fom the World Cup won't save Ireland. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So Henry gets banned from the WC for 2 handballs that led to a goal. What punishment would be given to Robbie Keane for his 5 handballs during the match?

Punishment for handball is a yellow card, no more no less.

I understand your anger, but a bit of logical thought wouldn't go amiss.

BTW I wouldn't argue with the match being replayed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I think what he did is comparable to a golfer picking the ball up whilst it is off the green in the rough and throwing it onto the green for a three foot putt in the final hole of a play-off!

Any other comparisons!?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Banning Henry fom the World Cup won't save Ireland. :(

Nothing will save Ireland, at this point i'm just looking for Henry to be punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

mike65 wrote: »
    Nope, any action should have taken place last night not for next summer. Just boo him a lot.

What about Eduardo?

He was given a 2 match ban for diving in a meaningless Champions League qualifier with Celtic. Henry's handball was more blatant in terms of cheating and it happened in a much bigger, more important game. Fifa can't turn a blind eye to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

No he shouldn't. The officials should be banned from officiating in a major event again.

Seriously if Henry confronted the ref after that goal and admitted he handled it, with the ref in turn disallowing the goal and Ireland go on to win on penalties, Henry would never be in a position to live in his home country again. He would get hung, drawn and quartered by the public.

Whats wrong in this sport is that this kind of thing goes on all too often, and I think its completely down to how the game is officiated. The sport is living in the stone age as regards just having 3 pairs of eyes looking and deciding the outcome of these things.

Real-time video evidence is a must, but should only be used when goals are contested. I also think that citings should be introduced for diving. A panel should be put in place to review EVERY dubious fall in a game where the ref had to make a decision. Immediate fine and a banning of several games will quickly get rid of this cancer from the sport.

Back on topic re Henry, I said it before they aired their views, but Kevin Doyle and Souness both said that anyone who's ever played the sport will know that it was an instinctive thing to do. The major problem here was the whistle didn't get blown for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

We should start a petition against all the companies he does ads for and send them off asking ofr him to be droppped or we won't buy gilette/renault/whatever.

Take that Henry, right in the pocket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

greendom wrote: »
    So Henry gets banned from the WC for 2 handballs that led to a goal. What punishment would be given to Robbie Keane for his 5 handballs during the match?

I think this shows the class of Keane and Henry, Keane gets called on all three handballs, whilst Henry sets up the winner!

There's a huge difference between a ball hitting you around the shoulder area and what Henry did, basically trying to play GAA in the Irish box. Plus, Robbie Keane was called on it. Henry deserves to get an appropriate punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

nothing will satisfy me at this stage.

ban him, yeah, but it won't help Shay, Robbie, Damien, Kevin et al.

poor lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

We should start a petition against all the companies he does ads for and send them off asking ofr him to be droppped or we won't buy gilette/renault/whatever.

That's actually a pretty good idea. Send a letter to Gillette saying that their products will be boycotted in Ireland. Do you think a boycott of this scale can be organised/the idea spread?

What about Eduardo?

He was given a 2 match ban for diving in a meaningless Champions League qualifier with Celtic. Henry's handball was more blatant in terms of cheating and it happened in a much bigger, more important game. Fifa can't turn a blind eye to this.

Well considering that ruling was deemed ridiculous and overturned I doubt Fifa will take any action.

That would actually make more sense. It might actually achieve something.

Well considering that ruling was deemed ridiculous and overturned I doubt Fifa will take any action.

That would actually make more sense. It might actually achieve something.

It was overturned because they weren't satisfied that he had cheated (due to the limited contact). There can really be no argument that Henry cheated last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

i understand where you are coming from but I doubt the likes of gilette would drop Henry because of an Irish boycott.

Tbh i think he should be suspended for two matches, i believe there was a case in Italy where Adriano (i think) handled the ball when scoring and was suspended for it.

but i hope mainly henry has the cop on to apologise. While i personally would do the same thing to get Ireland to a WC, I wouldn't have the crass to celebrate like a madman.

There's a huge difference between a ball hitting you around the shoulder area and what Henry did, basically trying to play GAA in the Irish box. Plus, Robbie Keane was called on it. Henry deserves to get an appropriate punishment.

It was called but he didn't get booked; and by the end it could be considered persistant handball.

Appropriate punishment - yes to a yellow card

• Advertisement

It was overturned because they weren't satisfied that he had cheated (due to the limited contact). There can really be no argument that Henry cheated last night.

It was fairly obvious that Eduardo dive. The whole angle saying that it wasn't certain that he dived was just smoke and mirrors because they didn't want to have to take action/go through the appeal process every time someone took a dive and won a dubious penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

I'm definitely not buying a renault now.

Kirnsy wrote: »
    i understand where you are coming from but I doubt the likes of gilette would drop Henry because of an Irish boycott.

Tbh i think he should be suspended for two matches, i believe there was a case in Italy where Adriano (i think) handled the ball when scoring and was suspended for it.

but i hope mainly henry has the cop on to apologise. While i personally would do the same thing to get Ireland to a WC, I wouldn't have the crass to celebrate like a madman.

But most people around the world are outraged at how the French won, so it might be possible to organise a worldwide boycott of Gilette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Unfortunately FIFA won't make an example out of Henry, but the ref might get it

I'm still harbouring hope about a replay

Kirnsy wrote: »
    but i hope mainly henry has the cop on to apologise.

He apologised last night. Not that it comes anywhere close to making up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I'm definitely not buying a renault now.

Gillette can go fúck themselves too

It was called but he didn't get booked; and by the end it could be considered persistant handball.

Appropriate punishment - yes to a yellow card

I don't recall 5 handballs from Robbie last night. The one around the shoulder- cearly he had the intention of playing the ball, there was no intent to handle the ball so a yellow would have been harsh.

What about Anelka, he caught the ball in the Irish box at one stage?

Or Lassana Diarra, he got away with about 7/8 fouls- now that's persistant, yet no yellow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

the whole Henry thing reminds me of a quote from Mick Galway, he was asked what would have happened if a Munster player did the same thing as Neil Back when he infamously cheated to win the Heiniken cup against Munster in the final. Galwyas response was something like "he'd have been made mayor of limerick".

The real people who should miss next years WC because of this are the team of officials, offside and handball and nobody notices.... they will probably take charge in the final though

I don't recall 5 handballs from Robbie last night. The one around the shoulder- cearly he had the intention of playing the ball, there was no intent to handle the ball so a yellow would have been harsh.

What about Anelka, he caught the ball in the Irish box at one stage?

Or Lassana Diarra, he got away with about 7/8 fouls- now that's persistant, yet no yellow.

Yes Diarra should have been booked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

How many goals did Robbie Keane score with those 5 handballs mate?

CCCP^ wrote: »

There's no law that says the punishment should be increased if the foul leads to a goal - or is there?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I was as annoyed and upset as anybody last night, but some of the over reactions to this have cheered me up a bit. France should banned from the WC? What a ridiculous statement in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Lads....let it go for **** sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

the whole Henry thing reminds me of a quote from Mick Galway, he was asked what would have happened if a Munster player did the same thing as Neil Back when he infamously cheated to win the Heiniken cup against Munster in the final. Galwyas response was something like "he'd have been made mayor of limerick".

The real people who should miss next years WC because of this are the team of officials, offside and handball and nobody notices.... they will probably take charge in the final though

Have to agree. While I'm as gutted as anyone else. Rightly or wrongly, I think Henry did what a lot of other players would have done. I mean players are cheating left, right and center in football these days. The ref who I thought had a good game up until then along with the linesmen (how the fook they missed that - did the ref even ask them btw?) are more to blame in this case imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

nah he admitted it but didn't apologise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

flanzer wrote: »
    Unfortunately FIFA won't make an example out of Henry, but the ref might get it

I'm still harbouring hope about a replay

Not a chance.

I wouldn't want to see him banned either, eventually video evidence will have to be implemented until then we're stuck with a system open to abuse/error.

What really has the potential to bother me is Henrys admission that he told the ref he handled the ball. I would like to know when he fessed up and why the official didin't act on it. That has the potential to have very serious implications on the game. Questions need to be asked and answered on this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Fizman wrote: »
    Back on topic re Henry, I said it before they aired their views, but Kevin Doyle and Souness both said that anyone who's ever played the sport will know that it was an instinctive thing to do. The major problem here was the whistle didn't get blown for it.

I agree that many a player would react in such a way and try and control it with the hand BUT imo this is exactly what is wrong with the sport when other people say it's the "instinctive" thing to do.

Of course Doyle and Souness are not vindicating the action outright but saying that it's an instinctive reaction is imo a pretty damning verdict on "fair play" in general.

Anyway enough is enough, I ain't eating garlic again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Football is the way it is. There shouldn't be any replay, or banning of players etc. All last night showed was (once again) the need for something in the game to change, be it video ref's etc. "Playing" the ref is part of the game, and some players excel at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

The Muppet wrote: »
    Not a chance.

I wouldn't want to see him banned either, eventually video evidence will have to be implemented until then we're stuck with a system open to abuse/error.

What really has the potential to bother me is Henrys admission that he told the ref he handled the ball. I would like to know when he fessed up and why the official didin't act on it. That has the potential to have very serious implications on the game. Questions need to be asked and answered on this issue.
    who said that he told the referee?
    My impression was that he told Richard Dunne and Kevin Kilbane. Would be very surprised if he told the referee.

pwd wrote: »
    who said that he told the referee?
    My impression was that he told Richard Dunne and Kevin Kilbane. Would be very surprised if he told the referee.

Henry is quoted as having said. It was a handball and Henry said that the ref answered I'm the ref

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Henry wrote:
    'It was a handball, but I'm not the ref. I told (the referee) but he said to me the same: 'You are not the ref.'

quote here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Henry is quoted as having said. It was a handball and Henry said that the ref answered I'm the ref
    crazy sh!t altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

My arse he told the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

This is all way OTT with regards to Henry. Fifa should be overhauled with proper people who can administer the sport properly and not just have some bullsh*t campaign for fair play..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That obviously came after his exuberant celebrations in the corner in the immediate aftermath of the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

My arse he told the ref.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    quote here

'It was a handball, but I'm not the ref. I told (the referee) but he said to me the same: 'You are not the ref.'

He said he did.

He didn't really. He still claimed it was an accident, which it clearly was not. It is clear it was a deliberate act, twice, on his part.

The Muppet wrote: »
    He said he did.

Again though.... After the ball went in he ran off celebrating. When the Irish lads were protesting to the ref and the linesman he was no where in sight - so at what point (when the ref could maybe do something) did he tell him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

CCCP^ wrote: »

How many did Henry score? Even after the handball, there was still an oppurtunity to stop him from getting the ball across to Gallas. And what was Gallas doing unmarked in the box?

We should have done the business on Saturday.

How many did Henry score? Even after the handball, there was still an oppurtunity to stop him from getting the ball across to Gallas. And what was Gallas doing unmarked in the box?

We should have done the business on Saturday.

Its hard to stay goal side when you (correctly) play an offside trap, which the linesman also failed to correctly call on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement