Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henry should be banned from the World Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

greendom wrote: »
    There's no law that says the punishment should be increased if the foul leads to a goal - or is there?

No, but a deliberate handball is much worse than an accidental one where the bal hits your arm out of sheer awkwardness. henry's was definately deliberate, where all of Keane's were accidental.
    Actually, I wonder could Henry's hanball be considered 'serious foul play'? That is a potentially red card offense.
    My arse he told the ref.

I really doubt he did considering he ran away to celebrate with his teammates.
    I do remember once Robbie Fowler, while playing for Liverpool against Arsenal, was alledgedly brough down by david Seaman in the box. The ref awarded a penalty but Fowler himself protested that it wasn't a penalty. The ref waved him away and gave the penalty anyway. Truly bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

greendom wrote: »
    There's no law that says the punishment should be increased if the foul leads to a goal - or is there?

Well if someone is taken down in midfield it could be a yellow, but if the same foul is committed on a striker and the defender is the last man, its a red card.

So basically there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

mkdon05 wrote: »
    Well if someone is taken down in midfield it could be a yellow, but if the same foul is committed on a striker and the defender is the last man, its a red card.

So basically there is.

That's preventing a goal though - not scoring one - if the attacker fouls the defender in the penalty area it's not a red card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Galvasean wrote: »
    I really doubt he did considering he ran away to celebrate with his teammates.
    I do remember once Robbie Fowler, while playing for Liverpool against Arsenal, was alledgedly brough down by david Seaman in the box. The ref awarded a penalty but Fowler himself protested that it wasn't a penalty. The ref waved him away and gave the penalty anyway. Truly bizarre.

According to the rules - the ref was right - fowler was wrong. Penalty was the correct call. While no contact was made, contact does not need to be made. If a player takes reasonable avoiding action so as not to get clattered, but losses possession as a result (without the tackling opponent winning it), it is technically a foul. So, the ref was right to award the peno in that incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Why should he be banned? Would yous all be calling for Doyle or Keane to be banned if they done it, I'd go with a no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Firstly . .

Claiming this is part and parcel of the game just means that the game is morally bankrupt, it doesnt make what Henry did any less disgusting.

Secondly . .

He cheated. The differance between an instinctive handball (the first time) and the second clear attempt to guide the ball onto his foot made this an open and shut case . . Cheating . .

Thirdly . .

It was a high profile game and Ireland went out of the world Cup. People could say that it was because of our misses and not taking our chances which is incorrect. We would of gone to peno's even after our missed chances, France scored an illigitimate goal that knocked us out.

Lastly . .

Whatever has happened in the past, this is the perfect opportunity for FIFA to try to stamp out rampant cheating in the game. Players werent always booked for diving, the offside rule used to be interpreted in differant ways. Football should be progressive. Pointing to previous cheating moments that go unpunished doesnt excuse the cheating now, it merely tries to ignore the steps that should be taken to erradicate it.

Imagine Henry was banned from the world cup and FIFA actually upheld it ? The likes of Ronaldo and Drogba would seriously have to consider their acting skills.

FIFA should then encourage refs to ask players at the time of these incidents if they actually fouled. If the players are proven to of fouled and lied they should get a huge ban (so In this case the ref would of asked Henry, did you handball and if he lied, he would get a retrospective big ban 6-10 games).

Of course you can only implement it in the top tiers of football (with the technology to do this), but start somewhere and try to erradicate the culture of cheating within the game. Look at rugby, you dont see video refs at Clontarf rugby club, but the players in the lower levels actually show more respect for ref decisions and are more honest because thats the culture of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Galvasean wrote: »
    No, but a deliberate handball is much worse than an accidental one where the bal hits your arm out of sheer awkwardness. henry's was definately deliberate, where all of Keane's were accidental.
    Actually, I wonder could Henry's hanball be considered 'serious foul play'? That is a potentially red card offense.

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY A misconduct, often violent, which consists of the clearly disproportionate use of physical force against an opponent during a contest for the ball on the field and while the ball is in play

Don't think he can be done under that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Eduardo got bloody slated and made a show of after he dived. This imo is worse and a much greater magnitude of a game. He should definitely get something.

Disgrace. Fifa got the result they wanted, they are going to forget about this as quickly as they can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Patrick Kielty on Twitter: "Thierry Henry... more Hands than a German phone book..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

FIFA should then encourage refs to ask players at the time of these incidents if they actually fouled. If the players are proven to of fouled and lied they should get a huge ban (so In this case the ref would of asked Henry, did you handball and if he lied, he would get a retrospective big ban 6-10 games).

The rte panel mentioned this yesterday and I think its a great idea. But lets just say this is a world cup final. Is henry going to cost his country the world cup or is he going to take a 6 match ban....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

^^ well said Drumpot.

Why should he be banned? Would yous all be calling for Doyle or Keane to be banned if they done it, I'd go with a no.

Because he's a cheat. He's bringing the game into disrepute. It's basically a farce nowadays, where a blind eye is turned to blatant cheating. Therefore, there needs to be an appropriate punishment to stamp out this sort of behaviour. Henry banned from the World Cup would seem fair enough to me, at least it would make Drogba, Ronaldo & Co think for a second the next time they go for a dive. Time to take a stand against these cheaters, but do Fifa have the balls?

And if it was an Irish player, I would be just as critical.

joe123 wrote: »
    The rte panel mentioned this yesterday and I think its a great idea. But lets just say this is a world cup final. Is henry going to cost his country the world cup or is he going to take a 6 match ban....

Maybe he wont but its a start . .

Cheating is instinctive in the game. If you cut it out in a majority of games, players will instinctively do the morally right thing more often then not.

Do we see rugby players change their honest habits in the world cup final of rugby?

This is about making cheating not only a bad word, but a feared and despised one . . We wouldnt hear pro's or fans saying "sure its part and parcel of the game" if it wasnt done or accepted.

If Henry really felt true heartfelt shame for his actions, he would withdraw his services from France. Radical and crazy to say in modern football, but it would certainly show that hes not morally bankrupt like the majority of footballers in the game today. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

He has come out and admitted it happened, what more do we want in fairness? We arnt getting ireland to the world cup.

I dont blame him, a million and one things were going through his head. How fast it happend I'd say it was instinctive, and to be honest I'd say he was desperate.

His team weren't looking like going to the world cup, and this is going to be his last.

No one here can say they wouldnt do the same, you dont know, if you knew it would raise a countries morale, you dont know if you would or wouldnt, you will never been in that situation to see what your instincts do.

For me I'm angry with the referee and Paul McShane. There was a rather blatant offside on two players when the ball was kicked.

But McShane had his eye on it the whole way through, and for some reason, let the ball bounce in the six yard box....thats shocking and un excuseable. He had ample opporunity to attack the ball with his head, or even hoof it out, avoiding this whole scenario, and things would be so different.

The referee had no way of seeing it, and had a good game. He saw Anelka took a dive, and did well overall, no way he was catching that incident, so people need to lay off, as do the irish media. The linesman was at fault, but it all happend so fast, it was unreal and I doubt the linesman 50 feet away wouldnt catch that.

I know its distressing and annoying for all, but people need to stop letting their passion overhaul their thoughts, cause its just not productive.

We should be celebrating a team today who went out and proved alot of people wrong, me included. I never thought they could go toe to toe with a team like France and they did.

We should be celebrating our boys in green, not having a whinge over "Le Thief"

Henry is one of the few gentlemen in the sport..and it was evidently noted after and before each game with his gestures to the irish players...... he did a terrible thing and he knows that, and if he said he told the ref, I fully believe him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Drumpot wrote: »
    This is about making cheating not only a bad word, but a feared and despised one . . We wouldnt hear pro's or fans saying "sure its part and parcel of the game" if it wasnt done or accepted.

As unusual as this feels, Dunphy was right last night, in golf, tennis, snooker and countless other sports the players call fouls on themselves, why is football different?

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    He has come out and admitted it happened, what more do we want in fairness? We arnt getting ireland to the world cup.

I dont blame him, a million and one things were going through his head. How fast it happend I'd say it was instinctive, and to be honest I'd say he was desperate.

His team weren't looking like going to the world cup, and this is going to be his last.

No one here can say they wouldnt do the same, you dont know, if you knew it would raise a countries morale, you dont know if you would or wouldnt, you will never been in that situation to see what your instincts do.

With all due respect Doc, saying sure we all woulda done it just doesnt cut it.

And then by saying "sure his team were going out of the world cup", seriously what does that mean ?

If somethings cheating and wrong . . There is no excuse . .

Its a cancer in football. Because other footballers do it, doesnt make it right.

Henry only admitted he handled the ball and blamed the ref for not spotting it. So in essence, he didnt "hold his hand up" and tried to pawn the responsibility on the ref to spot his cheating.

The very fact that hes a respected and loved footballer only further reflects the way this game has simply fallen lower and lower (when one of its greatest ambassadors reverts to that to win a game and then denies intention!).

frostie500 wrote: »
    As unusual as this feels, Dunphy was right last night, in golf, tennis, snooker and countless other sports the players call fouls on themselves, why is football different?

In Ice Hockey, American Football, Basket Ball and Rugby, for example, players do not call the fouls themselves. Football isn't that different. Though that does not excuse players from deliberately cheating.

Drumpot wrote: »
    With all due respect Doc, saying sure we all woulda done it just doesnt cut it.

And then by saying "sure his team were going out of the world cup", seriously what does that mean ?

If somethings cheating and wrong . . There is no excuse . .

Its a cancer in football. Because other footballers do it, doesnt make it right.

Henry only admitted he handled the ball and blamed the ref for not spotting it. So in essence, he didnt "hold his hand up" and tried to pawn the responsibility on the ref to spot his cheating.

The very fact that hes a respected and loved footballer only further reflects the way this game has simply fallen lower and lower (when one of its greatest ambassadors reverts to that to win a game and then denies intention!).

He also only admited to the fact the ball hit his hand (his implication being it was the ball hitting his hand, not his hand controlling the ball) so regardless of his 'admission', he is still a liar and a cheat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

He has come out and admitted it happened, what more do we want in fairness?

He told Kilbane it was an accident, then when he saw how obvious it was he admitted what we all already knew.

His instincts made him cheat, twice.

For me I'm angry with the referee and Paul McShane. There was a rather blatant offside on two players when the ball was kicked.

True, McShane letting the ball drop with Henry in the vicinity, he is just an idiot, no way near the standard required.
    I know its distressing and annoying for all, but people need to stop letting their passion overhaul their thoughts, cause its just not productive.

We should be celebrating a team today who went out and proved alot of people wrong, me included. I never thought they could go toe to toe with a team like France and they did.

We should be celebrating our boys in green, not having a whinge over "Le Thief"

Henry is one of the few gentlemen in the sport..and it was evidently noted after and before each game with his gestures to the irish players...... he did a terrible thing and he knows that, and if he said he told the ref, I fully believe him.

I also agree with all this, Henry is true pro, gentleman etc., but I don't believe he told the referee, he was off celebrating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

And if it was an Irish player, I would be just as critical.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Lads....let it go for **** sake.

to be fair Al, that's an odd thing for you to say.

if someone had done the same thing to Liverpool on the last day of the season to deny us the League title...you'd not have let it go yet.

not a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

lol

Is it so hard to believe? It's all hypotheticals, but I think the gloss would certainly have been taken off if we'd won in those circumstances. Out of interest (okay, and boredom) I did a Google translate on the l'equipe website forum and the French fans aren't happy at all. There's a thread along the lines of 'Shame on the French jersey' where pretty much every poster calls the win embarrassing and shameful, and how we should have gone through. I know that means bugger all to us, but it does show that not everyone adopts the 'win at any cost' mantra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

As much as I'd love to see him get the suggested ban I can't see it happening.
    By doing so FIFA would be excepting that what Henry did was wrong and that would mean they would be by association accepting culpability.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I've been calling Henry a cheat ever since the 2006 World Cup when he went down clutching his face after a 50/50 shoulder to shoulder in order to try and get Puyol sent off in the quarter finals. France of course went on to score from the resulting free-kick before sealing the win.

I've learnt to accept cheating in the game, but players then not owning up to it or denying it, and then taking the moral highground when it happens the other way around - typical Henry traits - are deplorable. He even claimed that Puyol apologised to HIM after the match for the non-existant foul, which Puyol flatly denied!

One can only imagine what he was saying to Dunne last night.

Anyway, yes I hate him, but no I don't really think he should be banned for the World Cup.

Players cheat all the time, because it's all about winning and no one in France will be condemning him, likewise we wouldn't if Robbie Keane had done the same to win us the game.

pffft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Eduardo was banned by Uefa AFTER the game for decieving an official. A precedent was set irregardless of Arsenal getting it overturned on appeal. FIFA should hand out some sort of a ban.

nullzero wrote: »
    As much as I'd love to see him get the suggested ban I can't see it happening.
    By doing so FIFA would be excepting that what Henry did was wrong and that would mean they would be by association accepting culpability.

Diego Maradona was banned from the 1994 World Cup for failing a drugs test. Henry blatantly cheated last night, so what's the difference. Come on Fifa, ban him, ban him now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

French big buisness backs the cheat (well Gillette)
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6923181.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

kinaldo wrote: »
    Players cheat all the time, because it's all about winning and no one in France will be condemning him, likewise we wouldn't if Robbie Keane had done the same to win us the game.

pffft.

I've been reading a couple of French forums and there are lots of comments condemning the cheating and calling it shameful.

mike65 wrote: »
    French big buisness backs the cheat (well Gillette)
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6923181.ece

Time to join the safety razor revolution. Plenty of brands besides Gillette to choose from: :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055448697

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

redout wrote: »
    Eduardo was banned by Uefa AFTER the game for decieving an official. A precedent was set irregardless of Arsenal getting it overturned on appeal. FIFA should hand out some sort of a ban.

FIFA wont do sh*t. They are the ones who changed the rules to get out the small teams in the first place:rolleyes:

Is it so hard to believe? It's all hypotheticals, but I think the gloss would certainly have been taken off if we'd won in those circumstances. Out of interest (okay, and boredom) I did a Google translate on the l'equipe website forum and the French fans aren't happy at all. There's a thread along the lines of 'Shame on the French jersey' where pretty much every poster calls the win embarrassing and shameful, and how we should have gone through. I know that means bugger all to us, but it does show that not everyone adopts the 'win at any cost' mantra.

I don't remember such uprorar over Duff's dive in 2002 WC against Spain. Or did we just decide to ignore it because it didn't matter on the outcome in the end? Also Duff has a history of diving for Ireland as well, yet he doesn't get called out on it by Irish fans or media. You're either against diving/cheating or not, I don't think you can just pick and choose when you want to get out your pitch forks nooses for a lynching. While if Keane did it and roles were switched Irish fans would say "Bad form, shouldn't have done it etc etc" but do you think the FAI would be asking for replay with France like they are doing now? I sure don't and I can guarentee that Irish people wouldn't be starting petitions about having a replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Yep - he should be banned from the WC.
    Headshot wrote: »
    he shouldnt be near the WC

I don't agree with that entirely. Eduardo got a 2 game ban for his dive. I do feel that this is a far more serious case as it effectively put France through whereas Arsenal probably would have went through anyway. On that basis anywhere between 3-6 games would probably be fair enough and could see him miss the World Cup...I just wonder if Fifa have the cojones?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I don't blame Henry, but I think if we had done the same there is NO WAY we would have got away with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

There's no doubt in my mind that if Doyle hand-passed to Keane to stick it away, there'd already be a replay announced. FIFA will look after the supposed "big teams".

What kind of governing body is happy to stand by and award cheaters? It's a complete joke.

There's no doubt in my mind that if Doyle hand-passed to Keane to stick it away, there'd already be a replay announced. FIFA will look after the supposed "big teams".

What kind of governing body is happy to stand by and award cheaters? It's a complete joke.

I agree with that completely. If the shoe was on the other foot no doubt Blatter would have been on tv first thing this morning arm in arm with Platini sanctioning a replay.

How come they didn't do it in 2002 WC when Italy were robbed? I suppose because Italy aren't a big team? No chance FIFA would reply it because they know the can of worms they would be opening if they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

How come they didn't do it in 2002 WC when Italy were robbed? I suppose because Italy aren't a big team? No chance FIFA would reply it because they know the can of worms they would be opening if they did.

Against South Korea? FIFA follow the money, and once Japan were knocked out, they needed one of the hosts to go far.

Circumstances are not the same. Italy were already at the World cup finals. For Fifa not to have a team like France at the World cup would no doubt have them making up new rules - you know like the way they did with the seeding for the play-offs just two weeks before the qualifiers ended when it looked as though France, Portugal, Germany and Russia were not gonna win their respective groups :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Against South Korea? FIFA follow the money, and once Japan were knocked out, they needed one of the hosts to go far.

Needed the hosts to go far? So your saying football is now rigged in favour of the big teams and host nations? Lump on SA for this to make the semi's in this WC then should I? Tin foil hats at the ready!
    redout wrote: »
    Circumstances are not the same. Italy were already at the World cup finals. For Fifa not to have a team like France at the World cup would no doubt have them making up new rules - you know like the way they did with the seeding for the play-offs just two weeks before the qualifiers ended when it looked as though France, Portugal, Germany and Russia were not gonna win their respective groups :rolleyes:

They should of been seeded all along, and they admitted it was a mistake not to announce it earlier.

P.S Can anyone explain how Ireland managed to qualify for the 2002 WC play off at the expense of Holland? Are Holland not a big team no?

Because they wanted South Korea to go through. It was in their interest to get a team like South Korea through as there's more money in it and it develops the game in that country. The truth is South Korea bribed their way to the semi-final; iirc Portugal were unlucky to have a player sent off in the group stage when they played South Korea, and the video below clearly shows the disgusting cheating that went on against both Italy and Spain. Raul had a perfectly good goal ruled out when Spain played South Korea. FIFA are absolutely rotton, the corruption goes right to the top. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I haven't read this thread really, but I doubt it'll change my opinion. Titi is well known for being a bit sneaky, and doing his utmost to win a game. I'll never forget when they played Spain in 2006 and he pretended Puyol hit him in the face when he barely made contact with his shoulder, the video is here;

He is also partial to going down quite easily. All these antics make him a dislikable footballer, which is fair enough. But to call for him to be banned from a WC championships is utterly ridiculous. The only reason we are so abhorred is because this is directly affecting our circumstances. He cheated, but so did Maradona in a WC semi-final.

I don't like the player Henry can be, he is cynical and dirty quite regularly. But the thing he needs to do is stand up, be a man and admit he cheated. He has at least come out and done that, admitted he cheated, and if he apologises to the Irish public I think that's about the most I can expect. It won't make me like him any more, it'll just ensure I don't lose further respect for him.

There's no doubting his ability, he is an excellent footballer, but at times he has shown to lack class. Another good example was when Arsenal lost the CL final to Barca in Paris, he mentioned that he would never fall down on purpose and dive because he isn't a girl. He can at times be a hypocrite.

It's sickening to see the Irish people resort to racist slander and general hooliganism. In the pub I was at last night I lost some respect for some of my friends with the way they shouted at some of the French players. There is NO place for racism like that in any aspect of life, the people who resort to low levels such as that need to take a good long look at themselves.

That's just my 2c on the cheating situation, not condoning it, but let's not get carried away with how much Henry should be reprimanded. If it was us who benefitted from something like that we'd be declaring it a heroic act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

eZe^ wrote: »
    I haven't read this thread really, but I doubt it'll change my opinion. Titi is well known for being a bit sneaky, and doing his utmost to win a game. I'll never forget when they played Spain in 2006 and he pretended Puyol hit him in the face when he barely made contact with his shoulder, the video is here;

He is also partial to going down quite easily. All these antics make him a dislikable footballer, which is fair enough. But to call for him to be banned from a WC championships is utterly ridiculous. The only reason we are so abhorred is because this is directly affecting our circumstances. He cheated, but so did Maradona in a WC semi-final.

I don't like the player Henry can be, he is cynical and dirty quite regularly. But the thing he needs to do is stand up, be a man and admit he cheated. He has at least come out and done that, admitted he cheated, and if he apologises to the Irish public I think that's about the most I can expect. It won't make me like him any more, it'll just ensure I don't lose further respect for him.

There's no doubting his ability, he is an excellent footballer, but at times he has shown to lack class. Another good example was when Arsenal lost the CL final to Barca in Paris, he mentioned that he would never fall down on purpose and dive because he isn't a girl. He can at times be a hypocrite.

It's sickening to see the Irish people resort to racist slander and general hooliganism. In the pub I was at last night I lost some respect for some of my friends with the way they shouted at some of the French players. There is NO place for racism like that in any aspect of life, the people who resort to low levels such as that need to take a good long look at themselves.

That's just my 2c on the cheating situation, not condoning it, but let's not get carried away with how much Henry should be reprimanded. If it was us who benefitted from something like that we'd be declaring it a heroic act.

Well said

eZe^ wrote: »

A bit sneaky?

Understatement of the year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

I am still sick at the thought of what happened last night and I cannot get rid of the anger. Thierry Henry's actions were shameful and when you read the FIFA Fair Play Code, you realise that he made a mockery of it.

How can he be a role model? How can companies like Gillette and Reebok endorse somebody like that!

However, FIFA are not going to change the result or order a replay. However if the French Football Federation were to come out and say they cannot accept their place in the World Cup because of what happened and offer Ireland a replay then perhaps there might be hope for the game of Association Football!

Though I expect to see pigs flying before that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Muppet wrote: »
    He said he did.

He also said it wasn't a deliberate handball. I have no problem calling him a liar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

P.S Can anyone explain how Ireland managed to qualify for the 2002 WC play off at the expense of Holland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

He also said it wasn't a deliberate handball. I have no problem calling him a liar.

As I said Questions need to be asked and answered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement