Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henry should be banned from the World Cup

12346»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

So, you all condone cheating..... interesting!
    Your pathetic! I don't condone cheating, but if you ban Henry you must ban everyone who handles the ball..so Keane then.

I think that will go over your head though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if that's what you get from those comments, i'm sorry, you're being a bit foolish.

they're not saying he didn't cheat, just that it happens so often, it'd be ridiculous to start a precedent with this. it'd create carnage in the football world.

the precedent should NOW be set, with the view to enforcing it in the future (i.e. video technology, maybe stricter laws for cheating). if you enforced stuff with this match, it could bring in the possibility of previous decisions from a time ago being brought into question.

for example, Ireland's penalty against Georgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

DB10 wrote: »
    Your pathetic! I don't condone cheating, but if you ban Henry you must ban everyone who handles the ball..so Keane then.

I think that will go over your head though.

No, different incident entirely. Like comparing chalk with cheese!

SlickRic wrote: »
    if that's what you get from those comments, i'm sorry, you're being a bit foolish.

they're not saying he didn't cheat, just that it happens so often, it'd be ridiculous to start a precedent with this. it'd create carnage in the football world.

the precedent should NOW be set, with the view to enforcing it in the future (i.e. video technology, maybe stricter laws for cheating). if you did it now, it could bring in the possibility of previous decisions from a time ago being brought into question.

for example, Ireland's penalty against Georgia.

I think it's sickening that Thierry Henry, the captain of France and an ambassador for the game, will be leading out his team in South Africa next summer whilst the fair play anthem is being played and wearing a fair play badge on his sleeve. If Fifa really cared about 'fair play' then they would take appropriate action against Henry at the very least. Otherwise, the game and its 'fair play' mantra are nothing more than a farce. The fact that you and a minority of other posters fail to recognise this is quite disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

“If we had no faults of our own, we would not take so much pleasure in noticing those of others.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Does anyone else think banning Henry from the world cup is ridiculous??

A bit of support here!!:confused:

only too you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I think it's sickening that Thierry Henry, the captain of France and an ambassador for the game, will be leading out his team in South Africa next summer whilst the fair play anthem is being played and wearing a fair play badge on his sleeve. If Fifa really cared about 'fair play' then they would take appropriate action against Henry at the very least. Otherwise, the game and its 'fair play' mantra are nothing more than a farce. The fact that you and a minority of other posters fail to recognise this is quite disappointing.

you can hang your head in respect of 95% of footballers then.

most all of them cheat every game.

not all with the implications of Henry's on wednesday, but they do.

the fact you can't take off your staunchly pro-Ireland hat as admirable as it is in a way, for even a second, is quite disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

no - it clearly isn't cheating. Cheating is to gain an advantage. Beckham gained no advantage and tried to gain no advantage. Unbelievable.

Don't be so naive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Ha ha, awesome response, truly amazing. :D

What I'm trying to say, and I think I may be sharing the view of most of the people who think this thread is a bit silly, is -

Why should we start now with Henry when seeking an unfair advantage is clearly a part of football and has been for quite some time?

Is it just cause you feel cheated?

Couldn't Henry feel cheated when he's suddenly singled out for something professionals have been getting away with for his entire professional career?

Henry gained an unfair advantage. It's not fair but it happens all the time in football. To suddenly claim that this time a player should be banned from the world's biggest tournament because his unfair advantage has effected your enjoyment of football is simply childish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Otherwise, the game and its 'fair play' mantra are nothing more than a farce. The fact that you and a minority of other posters fail to recognise this is quite disappointing.

No, you've got it wrong.

We do recognise it - we just don't blame Henry for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

If Henry is forever more to be known as 'Le Cheat', I think then that's enough punishment for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

kinaldo wrote: »
    If Henry is forever more to be known as 'Le Cheat', I think then that's enough punishment for him.

Funny thing is , he has done it many times before but rarely has he been mentioned as a cheat.Funnier still, he is in a list of top player of the decade thread on boards too, and i presume many voted for him. Even funnier still is that votes are now hidden it seems , which seems a bit fishy as the fickleness of some fans could have been seen from that me thinks. :D

d22ontour wrote: »
    Funny thing is , he has done it many times before but rarely has he been mentioned as a cheat.Funnier still, he is in a list of top player of the decade thread on boards too, and i presume many voted for him. Even funnier still is that votes are now hidden it seems , which seems a bit fishy as the fickleness of some fans could have been seen from that me thinks. :D

Poll wasn't changed. Results out on the 13th.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

No, different incident entirely. Like comparing chalk with cheese!

Why is it different? Because one player had a green jersey on...:rolleyes:

The same foul was made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

he has admitted it was handball and it happens alot in football its the ref who is at fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

JP Liz wrote: »
    he has admitted it was handball and it happens alot in football its the ref who is at fault
    I have to admit that referees will not be able to see everything what goes on on the pitch.
    I would consider that FIFA is at fault for not allowing the referees to view video evidence of any suspect goal, using the fourth official to review it rather than having another official only when Video evidence is available on matches, especially since the day of Maradona infamous "hand of god" in the 1986. That is 23 years ago!! They been many crucial cheaters since then on high profile matches.

By Having the Video evidence from TV available to Referees, would help to counter act the cheating.
    Also allow after match citing on video evidence with punishment that referees do not punish on. Soccer is well behind the times on this.

FIFA should be giving the red card for their anti "Fair Play" rules that do not punish cheating that the referees and his officials do not pick up during the match.

I have not heard from FIFA in the last two days any comments in how they are going to prevent this kind of situation in the future, especially this summer in the world cup. It only gives the situation over to conspiracy theories that they(FIFA) just hide behind Rule 5 to get larger nations to the world cup for money generation revenue.

All I can say is that FIFA have earn my red card for their continuous failure to sort out the cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

It looks like we are fighting a lost cause here. :(

Rather than ban Henry, maybe the push should for him to help irish charities for penance.. (for example : Our Lady's Children's Hospital, Crumlin). I am sure he wouldnt miss a few weeks wages.

It looks like we are fighting a lost cause here. :(

Rather than ban Henry, maybe the push should for him to help irish charities for penance.. (for example : Our Lady's Children's Hospital, Crumlin). I am sure he wouldnt miss a few weeks wages.

A few weeks wages??? Unprecedented! Sure the FA considers £20k a hefty fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yep, Henry should be banned from the World Cup.

I'm so sick of the cheating that goes on in the game these days and it's allowed to continue because of it's acceptence!!!

People don't blame players for diving, they regard it as an art, they're just 'anticipating the tackle'. Unbelievable.

People saying it's not Henry's fault, it's the ref's fault. It's just excusing this sh!t

Incidents happen in matches that sometimes you just have to accept that they go against you. A free here, a peno there. They can go for you in other games.

But Henry on Wednesday night was despicable!!! He deliberately handled the ball. He is a liar by saying otherwise and he only says otherwise because it's the only rope he has to cling onto to maintain his 'character' in the game.

He kept the ball in play with his arm. It was going out for a goal kick and he kept it in play by using his arm. Ok, we'll give him that one. But to then control the ball with the palm of his hand is just taking the p!ss.

Worst of all, is his celebration!! Oh sweet Jesus, the celebration. Knowing full well what he's done, he runs behind the goal, giving it loads towards the French fans, being all 'passionate' as if he has done something magnificant. Nothing apologetic there!!!

Once the game ends, the PR bullsh!t kicks in immediately. Sitting beside Dunne, admitting what he's done. Coming out today once the decision is made that there will be no replay, stating a replay would be fair. Who's he being talking to, Max Clifford??

People saying that Ireland should have finished off France beforehand, our marking for the cheating goal should have been better. Yeah, that's true. Extra time should never have been played. We should have won at least three nil, fair enough.
    But we didn't. And France did nothing about it. We're entitled to go at least to penalties and finish it one way or another if France aren't good enough to beat us. And they weren't. They had to resort to cheating to qualify for the World Cup, and now it seems that they stand by that illegal method.

So yeah, ban him! Make him an example! If Henry failed a drugs test, it would be deemed as cheating and he would be banned.
    He has cheated here, yet he and his other French cronies go to the World Cup and the better team doesn't??

But Gillette will say to FIFA, no, don't ban him. Here's some more money. And FIFA will muffle their grattitude through a mouthful of corporate cock while handing out Fair Play flags and banners to the kids!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

For those who want to ban Henry, is it purely becuase he denied Ireland the chance of a penalty shoot out or is it becuse of the "cheating"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

No he should'nt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Wrong or Right , Whats done is done .

Yes Henry was wrong and Wednesday Night will leave a bad taste for a long time to come ,
    However after saying that Wednesday Night for me (after cooling down ) was more about showing up the faults with the modern game and showed how far behind the times Football has fallen and that the need for change has become critical ,
    As long as the old guard in FIFA go unchallenged and major decisions in the game are left to humans alone , the game will suffer and with always be prone to human error,

As for the Henry ban at the World Cup , For me the World Cup Finals have always been about seen the best players on the planet. All performing on the same stage . So for this reason I would like to see Henry there.

And before everbody jumps down my throat ......Until Wednesday Night Henry was walking away with " The Player of the Decade Thread " there on this forum.

Yes he Fcuked up ,
    But he still is one of the best and an awesome player and for that reason , as a football fan I want to see him there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Roy Keane should keep his bloody gob shut. Mouthy twat.

Anyone who's ever laughed at the Hand of God goal or was pleased it happened to England can have no complaints about Henry's handball to be honest.

FIFA must be delighted it worked out for them. Only missing Russia from the three they wanted there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

But you obviously don't blame Robbie for those incidents. It is other footballers encouraging him and the ref that is to blame, surely?

Otherwise this is pointless.

I've not said Henry is the only player to cheat but he DOES deserve to blamed for what he deliberately did.

Huh? Course I blame Robbie for those incidents. I don't see anyone else encouraging him to regularly handle the ball.

But obviously he gets absolution because he wears green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Roy Keane should keep his bloody gob shut. Mouthy twat.

Anyone who's ever laughed at the Hand of God goal or was pleased it happened to England can have no complaints about Henry's handball to be honest.

FIFA must be delighted it worked out for them. Only missing Russia from the three they wanted there.

Why should he keep his mouth shut? He was asked a question at an interview and answered it. In fairness he said the players deserve better, the fans deserve better and the manager deserves better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I haven't read this thread too closely, but starting with the title I know it's ridiculous.

Ban the referee from the WC, and any future WCs, not Henry.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I haven't read this thread too closely, but starting with the title I know it's ridiculous.

Ban the referee from the WC, and any future WCs, not Henry.

Henry isn't blameless though! I'd tend to blame the officials more than him because it's their job to spot these things and Fifa more than them because they should have introduced video technology long before now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭GO'S

henry robbe us ya but he doesnt deserve a ban...if it was robbie keane do you honestly think we'd give a s**t about the fact he handballed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Will be very interesting to look bad at these threads during the course of the season when players from clubs people support are involved in controversial incidents ;)

monkey9 wrote: »
    Yep, Henry should be banned from the World Cup.

I'm so sick of the cheating that goes on in the game these days and it's allowed to continue because of it's acceptence!!!

People don't blame players for diving, they regard it as an art, they're just 'anticipating the tackle'. Unbelievable.

People saying it's not Henry's fault, it's the ref's fault. It's just excusing this sh!t

Incidents happen in matches that sometimes you just have to accept that they go against you. A free here, a peno there. They can go for you in other games.

But Henry on Wednesday night was despicable!!! He deliberately handled the ball. He is a liar by saying otherwise and he only says otherwise because it's the only rope he has to cling onto to maintain his 'character' in the game.

He kept the ball in play with his arm. It was going out for a goal kick and he kept it in play by using his arm. Ok, we'll give him that one. But to then control the ball with the palm of his hand is just taking the p!ss.

Worst of all, is his celebration!! Oh sweet Jesus, the celebration. Knowing full well what he's done, he runs behind the goal, giving it loads towards the French fans, being all 'passionate' as if he has done something magnificant. Nothing apologetic there!!!

Once the game ends, the PR bullsh!t kicks in immediately. Sitting beside Dunne, admitting what he's done. Coming out today once the decision is made that there will be no replay, stating a replay would be fair. Who's he being talking to, Max Clifford??

People saying that Ireland should have finished off France beforehand, our marking for the cheating goal should have been better. Yeah, that's true. Extra time should never have been played. We should have won at least three nil, fair enough.
    But we didn't. And France did nothing about it. We're entitled to go at least to penalties and finish it one way or another if France aren't good enough to beat us. And they weren't. They had to resort to cheating to qualify for the World Cup, and now it seems that they stand by that illegal method.

So yeah, ban him! Make him an example! If Henry failed a drugs test, it would be deemed as cheating and he would be banned.
    He has cheated here, yet he and his other French cronies go to the World Cup and the better team doesn't??

But Gillette will say to FIFA, no, don't ban him. Here's some more money. And FIFA will muffle their grattitude through a mouthful of corporate cock while handing out Fair Play flags and banners to the kids!!!

Well said monkey9, thanks for your support.

• Advertisement
Advertisement