Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its Saturday July 3rd 2010....

• 19-11-2009 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

France meet England in the Quater finals. Do the Irish put aside 800 years to see France loose or will the spirit of 1798 overcome all?

Who do you want to see loose most 174 votes

France
    0% 0 votes
    England
    59% 103 votes
    Its only a game
    40% 71 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

England to win as they qualified honestly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I always support England these days after seeing them support us in Japan in 2002. The past is the past.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I hope France crash and burn with Henry missing a penalty in the 94th minute

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'd hope the english would crush them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

England to win as they qualified honestly.

+1
    QFT

England have earned their spot.........France not so much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

We have more in common with the English despite a painful history, there is probably not one of us on here who doesn't have English relations. I will be behind England and Slovenia in 2010.

France won't make it out of the group stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

I almost voted fror England as I assumed it was who I wanted to see win at first. Just as well I double-checked.

yeah it's defo anyone but France in this World Cup now.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

I hope France miss a penalty in the 94th minute and Henry crashes and burns!
    fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

England.

To be honest, my attitude to England has changed a lot in the last couple of years. I used to delight in seeing them fail. Now, I'd almost support them. I just worry that if they did win the tournament, we'd be hearing about it non-stop for years to come.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have always supported the English team whenever they are playing in a major final (when Ireland aren't competing) and I like to see them do well.

Regardless of whether France cheated or beat us 6-0 last night, I would still root for England over France.

No question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Yep England for me. And I go as far as saying I hope they win the World Cup. I'm over the whole 800 years bullsh!t. They have a quality squad and manager assembled now, barring a goalkeeper and I think next year could be their year.

I still would like Spain to win as they've never won it but England are a very close second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

flanzer wrote: »
    I still would like Spain to win as they've never won it but England are a very close second

Same here. With regards to England v France, hope the English crush em but it's Spain for the trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I like Capello and I like most England players.
    When they lose it's usually in controversial fashion which is quite funny as the media goes insane. In this example I would choose England. Helped by last night? Probably.
    And if England were to go on and win the WC by being the best team I'd be happy to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Only bigots and those with chips on their shoulders dislike the English now anyway. I'll just hope for a good game of football between the teams in this mythical match suggested by the op, if there are a few Villa players starting for England i'd go for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I always support England up to the quarter finals but after that I want them to loose and thats purely because I wouldnt be able to stick weeks and weeks of media going on about them.

But if they were playing France I hope they hammer them. France dont deserve a place in the world cup. I hope they have a disasterous world cup and dont win a game.

Feel so sick today thinking about last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

joe123 wrote: »
    I always support England up to the quarter finals but after that I want them to loose and thats purely because I wouldnt be able to stick weeks and weeks of media going on about them.

Will you be able to stick weeks and weeks of the media going on about a hand-ball incident. Better get ready for it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Will you be able to stick weeks and weeks of the media going on about a hand-ball incident. Better get ready for it...

Yes because thats my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Only bigots and those with chips on their shoulders dislike the English now anyway. I'll just hope for a good game of football between the teams in this mythical match suggested by the op, if there are a few Villa players starting for England i'd go for them.

Where's the "thanks +10" button? FFS, what's wrong with people who can't put a history (that they weren't personally involved in) behind them?? A lot of wars bigger and, believe it or not, more significant on a global scale have been fought since then, and people in other nations MOVE ON.

I'll be supporting England in June as usual. A good few Utd players will be in the squad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

I find it hard to support England in major tournaments mainly because of Sky News.

That said, I'd definitely be going for them against France, because as said previously, England qualified honestly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Dont think either team would play loose football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

watched you're on sky sports last night after the game. there were alot a English callers ringing in saying how genuinely gutted they were for us. And I respect that about them. They supported us in 2002 aswell when our games were on.

I don't mind England winning the world cup if they are the best team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Who do you want to see loose most

Miranda Kerr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Any chance of a question title edit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

France are the new England for me. As someone said England qualified honestly and I wish them well.

I am looking forward to supporting every team that France face next summer. Simple as. call it bitterness if you want but thats the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

France are a pitiful team, full of great players, yet they had to resort to cheating to beat us.

England all the way against France...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Before the England love starts in ernest it might be an idea to read the following article from the much respected English paper The Guardian published before the game yesterday to see what certain sections of the English media actually think of us as a sporting nation and as a "race" of people...
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/nov/18/ireland-france-katy-perry-fiver

Glazers Out!

Which bit of that causes offence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

jesus get over the england thing already ffs. we should be better than that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

nullzero wrote: »
    Before the England love starts in ernest it might be an idea to read the following article from the much respected English paper The Guardian published before the game yesterday to see what certain sections of the English media actually think of us as a sporting nation and as a "race" of people...

em what? that was also written by an irishman...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Hope they both crash and burn..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I was surprised by the French fans last night, whistling and jeering their own team for lot of it. And got out sung by the Irish contingent.

If their own fans won't get behind their team in a key game I've no interest in seeing them do well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

mike65 wrote: »
    Any chance of a question title edit?
    Can I second this motion?

Also, I know it's not a big deal, but if a kindly mod is looking for something to do, perhaps they'd switch one vote from England to France?
    luckylucky wrote: »
    I almost voted fror England as I assumed it was who I wanted to see win at first. Just as well I double-checked.
    I didn't double-check before voting. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Barry Glendenning is from Co. Offaly and you see this as an attack on Irish people?

And he lists a lot of examples as "All of which lazy national stereotyping"
    I think you need to read it a bit more carefully

The phrased the question as I did cause the words want, see and win in the same sentence might have caused several fuses to blow.

Barry Glendenning and Barney Ronay write the Fiver parody every day during the week I think. The podcast should be worth a listen if Baz and Paul Doyle are on it which they are bound to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

That piece was written tongue in cheek by Barry Glendenning an Irishman.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Always liked the French from going on holidays as a kid down the years. Always shouted for them especially after being nearly men in '82/'86. Last night doesn't change that tbh. Seeing them beat us by a hand-ball is sickening but so is seeing people talk about punching people in the face, using derogatory terms, generalising about the nation as a whole and so on. The Irish and the French have always got on well down the years for whatever reason. In recent times it has changed possibly due to influence from the US which is pretty sad if you ask me. In any case since France won the world cup I don't feel so bad for them or shout so loud for them anymore.

As for England I can't help but smile when things go wrong for them. It's not malicious it just happens and is probably fed for the most part by ridiculous media hype in the UK. Once they go out of a major tournament you miss them though. I have English friends and I think it's ridiculous people here saying get over the 800 years and so on. Nothing to do with that tbh. They cheer us on. Great but I can't change whats in my blood. It's not hate. It's normal football rivalry with a little edge because of our history and what we were taught growing up. I think we got over the past a long time ago and enjoying seeing England get done is all thats left. Pretty harmless.

The net result for me is I would'nt be too pushed about either of them if this hypothetical match took place. Whichever team played the best football would be deserving winners. I'll probably shout for Spain and find some minnow to get behind too.

It's a newspaper. It doesn't speak for or represent the feelings of all English people. On another note....jesus, Katy Perry. FAP.

°°°°°

CCCP^ wrote: »
    It's a newspaper. It doesn't speak for or represent the feelings of all English people. On another note....jesus, Katy Perry. FAP.

If you must be pedantic at least read what I had written.: "certain sections of the English media", is what I wrote.
    Now that isn't me accussing the English people of sharing the views of The Guardian is it? I was merely showing you what The Guardian had written without broad generalisations.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

Rovi wrote: »
    Can I second this motion?

Also, I know it's not a big deal, but if a kindly mod is looking for something to do, perhaps they'd switch one vote from England to France?

I didn't double-check before voting. :(

Make that 2 i didnt double check either. Brain freeze or something.

My attitude towards England has been changing in the last few years i would like to see them do well at the world cup. I just dont want to listen to there commentators though.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

You made an elementary mistake there. If you had of said final it would have been a tough one but I would have chosen England. However seeing as it's the quarter finals I would want England to win but then get knocked out in the semi's by Portugal on penos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I think most Irishmen would like to see England do well
    Anyway it was the Norman French that came to Ireland 800 years ago not English.
    Damn dirty French!

°°°°°

mikemac wrote: »
    Barry Glendenning is from Co. Offaly and you see this as an attack on Irish people?

And he lists a lot of examples as "All of which lazy national stereotyping"
    I think you need to read it a bit more carefully

I never said it was an attack on the Irish.
    I know who Glendenning is and I'm familiar with his style of writing/commentary.
    There are ten sections on that page, none of them are directly credited to either Barry Glendenning or Barney Ronay, so perhaps you were making an assumption yourself in thinking that Glendenning wrote it.
    Regardless of all that it's a pretty tiresome article relying on hackneyed stereotypes that are of no relevance to modern society even in the context of attempting to be a smart arsed post ironic social commentator.
    I don't think there's a whole lot else to say about it at this stage.

Glazers Out!

If you must be pedantic at least read what I had written.: "certain sections of the English media", is what I wrote.
    Now that isn't me accussing the English people of sharing the views of The Guardian is it? I was merely showing you what The Guardian had written without broad generalisations.

What's yer point anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Would much prefer to see England win. They qualified fairly, so they deserve to be there.

As for someone earlier saying they'd love to see Henry miss a peno in it, i'd much prefer seeing him get a broken leg or cruciate injury that makes him miss World Cup completely. Its what he deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

England ftw! They speak the same language, are not arrogant and are not afraid to fight and are not cheese eating surrender monkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I don't care what anyone says.

England are simply the most cringe- and hateworthy nation in the Football world and nothing will ever change that I think. At least not for me. And I'm not even Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Damnit....read it wrong and cast the wrong vote.

Right now, I want to see France on the first place home. It would please me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

realcam wrote: »
    I don't care what anyone says.

England are simply the most cringe- and hateworthy nation in the Football world and nothing will ever change that I think. .
    That's your opinion and you are entitled to it, but anyone who thinks like this and watches the Premiership or, god forbid, follows an English team is a hypocrite of the worst kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Would want Spain to win the WC followed by England.Both long over due

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Savman wrote: »
    Damnit....read it wrong and cast the wrong vote.

Right now, I want to see France on the first plane home. It would please me :D

FYP ;) We wouldn't want them coming in first place and winning the damn thing no would we.:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement