Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its Saturday July 3rd 2010....

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I support and English club team, and hence when Ireland are not involved in a major competition (becoming more and more common these days!:() I always threw my lot in with England. I personally hope they win the World Cup in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

If you regularly watch coverage of the Premier League and like an English club this poll is pretty straightforward.

Was there some confusion in the poll title originally? Most of the replies are pro-England but the poll suggests it should be closer. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »
    The podcast should be worth a listen if Baz and Paul Doyle are on it which they are bound to be.

They are :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Savman wrote: »
    That's your opinion and you are entitled to it, but anyone who thinks like this and watches the Premiership or, god forbid, follows an English team is a hypocrite of the worst kind.

I love this ridiculous argument. Hypocrisy is part and parcel of following football. How many Man City fans cheer Rooney when they play Man U? Should they be saying hang on lads he plays for England get behind him here. Maybe he can score a couple against us and boost his confidence for the world cup. Or should we accept that rivalry constantly throws sense out the window. There is nothing malicious about enjoying seeing England get done. It's a laugh, I'll slag my English mates about it but never get nasty. They'll agree with me about the media and the hype and how it does them no favours and then we'll get on with life. We are all a bit over sensitive about the cheering against england thing all of a sudden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Only bigots and those with chips on their shoulders dislike the English now anyway. I'll just hope for a good game of football between the teams in this mythical match suggested by the op, if there are a few Villa players starting for England i'd go for them.

what a pile of bollix tbh.

I dislike England. Nothing to do with the 800 years or that, it's just down to the simple fact the English team are big headed idiots with the biggest collective ego in the game, the English press annoy the **** out of me they way everything the English do is sacrosanct, and the English fans, well they're not too bad but they just swallow the hype and red-top ****e far too much to be bearable at times (bit like a lot of Irish fans).

I'd still support them though, this one time and this one time only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Voted for England and then realised it was "Who do you want to lose most"

D'oh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

**** :( should have read the poll properly :(

i'd be up for England. but not because of last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yeah id hope England would win in this case. If theres any justice, France will go out in the group stage. The further they go in the competition, the worse it is for the game. If they were to somehow win the tournament they would need an asterisk beside their entry in the history books as the only world cup winners that didnt legally qualify to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

France meet England in the Quater finals. Do the Irish put aside 800 years to see France loose or will the spirit of 1798 overcome all?

England have been my second team pretty much since birth, no doubt in my mind regardless of last night's theatrics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

CCCP^ wrote: »
    What's yer point anyway?

Good question.

Glazers Out!

what a pile of bollix tbh.

I dislike England. Nothing to do with the 800 years or that, it's just down to the simple fact the English team are big headed idiots with the biggest collective ego in the game, the English press annoy the **** out of me they way everything the English do is sacrosanct, and the English fans, well they're not too bad but they just swallow the hype and red-top ****e far too much to be bearable at times (bit like a lot of Irish fans).

I'd still support them though, this one time and this one time only.

No-one forces you to look at English media. I've been to France and Italy during World Cup and Euro summers and their media is just as bad, if not worse. Because like England, on paper, they usually have a realistic shot as well. If we had the players they've had through the years, I'd be pretty damn confident too.

gandalf wrote: »
    I always support England these days after seeing them support us in Japan in 2002. The past is the past.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Another poll could be...

1986, Argentina v England, after the hand of God goal, who did you want to win?

a) Argentina
    b) England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

But that didn't involve Ireland in any way shape or form, nor would England meet Argentina again for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

England by a dubious penalty or Henry own goal

EDIT: Who are the eleven who said it's only a game? Strangew response from somebody who actually had to apply to post in this forum.

But that didn't involve Ireland in any way shape or form, nor would England meet Argentina again for years.

The point I was trying to make was that people are claiming to be ABF as France are 'cheats', yet back then they were still for Argentina even though they were 'cheats'.

The point I was trying to make was that people are claiming to be ABF as France are 'cheats', yet back then they were still for Argentina even though they were 'cheats'.

Barring the fact I was five at the time...might also have to do with the fact that Argentina killed England that day, they were miles better and Maradona also scored one of the best goals of all time in same match.

Collie D wrote: »
    Barring the fact I was five at the time...might also have to do with the fact that Argentina killed England that day, they were miles better and Maradona also scored one of the best goals of all time in same match.

A bit like France playing us off the park in the 2nd half on Saturday?

45 minutes out of 3 and half hours...anyway Maradona's legacy was tarnished hugely by that goal

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

The hatred of England is over isn't it? Hate their media but that is all.

When they aren't involved they like to see us win. Should be the same here. Friendly rivalary is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Only bigots and those with chips on their shoulders dislike the English now anyway. I'll just hope for a good game of football between the teams in this mythical match suggested by the op, if there are a few Villa players starting for England i'd go for them.

Oh please. Every country in the world has a friendly rivalry with a neighbour, often rooted in history. Half my mates in Oz are English but they know the score, they know it is a good natured, one sided rivalry but a rivalry all the same. To label anyone Irish holding the rivalry as a bigot is frankly embarassing. Nobody on these forums ever wishes the Nordies well ffs.

Question is irrelevant anyway, that goon Domenech wont reach the final.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I for one will support them. Anyone who still uses the trouble we have had with them in the past to justify their hatred of the English really needs to take a good long look in the mirror.
    shane86 wrote: »
    Oh please. Every country in the world has a friendly rivalry with a neighbour, often rooted in history. Half my mates in Oz are English but they know the score, they know it is a good natured, one sided rivalry but a rivalry all the same. To label anyone Irish holding the rivalry as a bigot is frankly embarassing. Nobody on these forums ever wishes the Nordies well ffs.

A friendly rivalry is good. Some people dont see it as a friendly rivalry though, and use it as an excuse to stir up **** that deserves to stay in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Collie D wrote: »

From what I remember England played quite well in the match after a slow start.

Anyway that is in no way relevant nor is the other Maradona goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Whats the point in a rivalry when only one side is in it? Any Englanders i know always wish Ireland the best. Sure their support has some eejits in their ranks but i think they would be of the same ilk as those who booed all those Rangers players at Lansdowne, and same ones who likely to take the whole anti-english rivalry to a provocative level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

3 words:

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!

I have to admit to cheering on anyone but England in the past but over the years I've mellowed. Nothing to do with 800 years or any of that. As a United fan the whole Beckham thing really annoyed me as well as the Wembley chant of "Stand up if you hate Man U".

I like to see United players do well, was disgusted at Ronaldo's behaviour in getting Rooney sent off. Basically I'll be supporting Rooney rather than England. If he is injured for World Cup, I have a feeling I'll be cheering against them. On the other hand, they are our closest neighbours and I wouldn't begrudge them the win. May the best team win (fairly). If England do that, fair play. They have a good team and it wouldn't be undeserved. Normally I wouldn't cheer on NI but I was disappointed they didn't get over the line after a good qualifying campaign by them.

As you can see I'm in two minds about England. I'll just support Spain as I have money on them :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

We'd never hear the end of it if England won, i couldnt handle listening to them gloating about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Another misreading of the poll here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Whats the point in a rivalry when only one side is in it? Any Englanders i know always wish Ireland the best. Sure their support has some eejits in their ranks but i think they would be of the same ilk as those who booed all those Rangers players at Lansdowne, and same ones who likely to take the whole anti-english rivalry to a provocative level.

Oh christ this Rangers crap. Anyone who thinks that booing ex or current Gers players in Irish internationals is embarassing themselves. Rival fans boo particular players for various reasons. The Czechs will still boo Stephen Hunt 10 years from now. We will boo Henry if we ever get France again. Arsenal and A Cole. Rooney and Everton. And, naturally, Irish fans will boo current and former players of a club with a large fanbase amongst sectarian Nordies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I think the best result for everyone would be a bomb hitting the pitch, sparing all united players and vapourising Thierry Henry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

England to win as they qualified honestly.

England all the way,after all we all like our united's, villas, spurs and liverpool's...:):):);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I tend to mostly support players I like when I watch national games.

As such, I'd like Ferdinand and Rooney to get something, as I would also like Lampard.

There's only Evra that I like for France.

Spain however probably have the most players I like, despite not having a single United player oddly.

We'd never hear the end of it if England won, i couldnt handle listening to them gloating about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Also misread it, meant to vote for England to win. Stupidly phrased tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'd want england to win, but nothing to do with wednesday.

i enjoy supporting the English national team regardless.

plus they supported us in Japan.

ireland v england animosity should really be a thing consigned to history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

good question Mike, tbh it is a close one but I think I'd prefer england to beat france.

Edit: Damn, misread the poll

22 sendings off and the match abandoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Oh christ this Rangers crap. Anyone who thinks that booing ex or current Gers players in Irish internationals is embarassing themselves. Rival fans boo particular players for various reasons. The Czechs will still boo Stephen Hunt 10 years from now. We will boo Henry if we ever get France again. Arsenal and A Cole. Rooney and Everton. And, naturally, Irish fans will boo current and former players of a club with a large fanbase amongst sectarian Nordies.
    Oirish fans will boo players of a club with a sectarian fanbase (excluding Celtic I presume)? Does it matter that the player was a Catholic?

Would they boo Irish players if they played for clubs with a sectarian fanbase? Why didn't they boo Duff when he played for Chelsea? Will they boo Clifford? What if an Irish player signed for Rangers?

Why stop with booing players who play for clubs with sectarian fanbases? Why not boo players who play for British clubs?

• Advertisement

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Oirish fans will boo players of a club with a sectarian fanbase (excluding Celtic I presume)? Does it matter that the player was a Catholic?

Would they boo Irish players if they played for clubs with a sectarian fanbase? Why didn't they boo Duff when he played for Chelsea? Will they boo Clifford? What if an Irish player signed for Rangers?

Why stop with booing players who play for clubs with sectarian fanbases? Why not boo players who play for British clubs?

:confused: Wtf is this post about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

rarnes1 wrote: »
    :confused: Wtf is this post about?
    Have a look back. I was replying to a different post, particularly this part;
    And, naturally, Irish fans will boo current and former players of a club with a large fanbase amongst sectarian Nordies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

England. Of course I want to see France get beaten from piller to post !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

mewso wrote: »
    I love this ridiculous argument. Hypocrisy is part and parcel of following football. How many Man City fans cheer Rooney when they play Man U? Should they be saying hang on lads he plays for England get behind him here. Maybe he can score a couple against us and boost his confidence for the world cup. Or should we accept that rivalry constantly throws sense out the window. There is nothing malicious about enjoying seeing England get done. It's a laugh, I'll slag my English mates about it but never get nasty. They'll agree with me about the media and the hype and how it does them no favours and then we'll get on with life. We are all a bit over sensitive about the cheering against england thing all of a sudden.

Your argument is puzzling.

English Man City fans don't shout for Rooney when he is playing for Man Utd against them.

They do however put their club rivalry aside and cheer for him when he plays for England.

Irish Man Utd fans who shout for Rooney when he plays for his club but boo him when he's in an England shirt are hypocrites.

Irish people who follow English clubs but hate the England team are idiots.

I'd much rather be in the company of Real IRA or INLA supporters who hate English people, wish them dead and wouldn't dream of supporting an English club or the England team. At least they're consistent in their beliefs.

Advertisement