Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Union Officials - Pay Cuts?

Options
  • 19-11-2009 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

As my wife prepares to go on strike tomorrow, taking a days wages from her massive salary of 26,500 (which she spent 5 years in college to get), i was wondering....will Peter McLoone/Jack O'Connor/ David Begg etc also be taking a days pay cut....or is that just for the workers who "do what they are told" ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Liam79 wrote: »
    As my wife prepares to go on strike tomorrow, taking a days wages from her massive salary of 26,500 (which she spent 5 years in college to get), i was wondering....will Peter McLoone/Jack O'Connor/ David Begg etc also be taking a days pay cut....or is that just for the workers who "do what they are told" ??

That's pathetic to be honest.
    There is no way that people on 26,5k should be taking a 7.5% cut in their pay.

It should be the fat cat teachers & consultants who can afford to pay, not the clerical officers and temps.

What area does your wife work in?

p.s. No, Union leaders will not take a cut.

The grunts take the bullets, while the Admirals drink tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

Dannyboy83 wrote: »

It should be the fat cat teachers & consultants who can afford to pay, not the clerical officers and temps.

Who says she is going to be taking a 7.5% pay cut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Grade 3 Library Assistant.....but sure she is a public servant..she must be on HUUGGEEEE money :rolleyes:
    For Begg and McLoone to basically ORDER people to a second days strike......when they dont lose a penny!! And even tho she voted no...she is being forced to picket or face "union sanctions" !!!

bastards :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Being forced? :confused:

Surly she could decide to:
    a) cross the picket
    b) not attend the strike
    c) take a days leave

Couldn't she?

Zulu wrote: »
    Being forced? :confused:

Surly she could decide to:
    a) cross the picket
    b) not attend the strike
    c) take a days leave

Couldn't she?

Cross the picket.....are you having a laugh...have you ANY idea what that would do?? Cop on!!
    Not attend the strike, to be honest i'd say thats what she will do, even if they are threatened with internal union action. What can they do like!
    Take a days leave...no...... they receoved memos no one will be paid that day, be you on leave or not. So even if u had leave booked for that day 12 months ago, u still wont be paid for that day, and even non union members are not being paid unless they cross the picket and no sick leave will be paid unless certified

• Advertisement

Cross the picket.....are you having a laugh...have you ANY idea what that would do?? Cop on!!
    No I don't. What would that do?

I think in fairness Zulu everyone knows how difficult it is to cross a picket whether you agree with it or not. I believe the un ions are very wrong to vote for a strike but all workers really have to accept the view of the majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Workers voted for strike action just remember that. No point blaming the officials when its the people who work along side your wife who have authorised this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

These strikes are the most stupid thing i heard, striking without knowing what the cut is.

Thats like paying for a car before you even know what kind of car it is.

What the goverment should do is the following:

All staff in the public sector wages should match the same as the private industry, this will have to be done by an average of course.

Promotions in public sector should not happen because your there x number of years but happen on how good you are in the job.

Extra day of service for been there x number of years should be scrapped.

If you work a sat out of normal hours you should not get over time but instead the day off, and this has to be justified that its not down to your own incapabalities of not getting job done in time.

Pension should be done away with and the same system the private sector has should be in the public sector.

If your job required you to work weekends most times you should not get double time, people in hotels dont, its part of the job, dont like it, quit.

If clerical staff work beyond hours during the week, you shouldnt get over time as it doesnt happen in the public sector, often work late but its out of my own pride to get the job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

dont the fat cats have their own "fat cat" union?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Never mind a days pay cut, they should be out on there ear for the ruin that they will eventually bring on the PS and the country itself.

And yes, taking 7% off somebody on such a low salary is a joke, I guess the upperband people making the calls feel is fair to "share" the pain.

These strikes are the most stupid thing i heard, striking without knowing what the cut is.

Thats like paying for a car before you even know what kind of car it is.

What the goverment should do is the following:

All staff in the public sector wages should match the same as the private industry, this will have to be done by an average of course.

Promotions in public sector should not happen because your there x number of years but happen on how good you are in the job.

Extra day of service for been there x number of years should be scrapped.

If you work a sat out of normal hours you should not get over time but instead the day off, and this has to be justified that its not down to your own incapabalities of not getting job done in time.

Pension should be done away with and the same system the private sector has should be in the public sector.

If your job required you to work weekends most times you should not get double time, people in hotels dont, its part of the job, dont like it, quit.

If clerical staff work beyond hours during the week, you shouldnt get over time as it doesnt happen in the public sector, often work late but its out of my own pride to get the job done.

So you want my wifes wages to be brought up to the average private sector wage is it ??
    Great!! She would only love it! Would be a SERIOUS pay rise for her!!

So you want my wifes wages to be brought up to the average private sector wage is it ??
    Great!! She would only love it! Would be a SERIOUS pay rise for her!!

Well she can always set out to try and find a job in the private sector in that case.....

No answer Liam, no?
    OMD wrote: »
    I think in fairness Zulu everyone knows how difficult it is to cross a picket whether you agree with it or not. I believe the un ions are very wrong to vote for a strike but all workers really have to accept the view of the majority.
    If it's something you don't agree with, something so utterly wrong? I don't buy it. I certainly wouldn't let any majority force me into doing something I believed was utterly wrong.

That said - perhaps she doesn't think it's wrong.

No answer Liam, no?

If it's something you don't agree with, something so utterly wrong? I don't buy it. I certainly wouldn't let any majority force me into doing something I believed was utterly wrong.

Very easy for you to say isnt it
    :rolleyes:
    she has to work with those people for the resst of her life! U really need to come out of the fog if you want to have a genuine debate. Because anyone who advocates passing a picket of their fellow workers....wouldnt want to go to battle with cowards like you on my side

?

The point of Unions is you have to go with the collective decision. As I said I disagree with it but I have no problem with union members who voted no still going on strike.

If the unions had voted against strike action I would want action taken against any union member who went against the collective desision and still went on strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

No answer Liam, no?

You have obviously never tried to cross a picket. You have to remember that people who strike have the courage of their convictions to stand up and say what is happening is wrong. They are taking on the employer and any employee who crosses a picket weakens their position. To say people get upset is putting it mildly. It doesnt matter that you dont agree with them or wish to support them. Crossing pickets is one of the worst things you can do.
    You can be blacklisted by unions and people can refuse to work with you. It happens and as the union members are usually in the majority, guess who gets pushed out.

Now I am not saying that I agree with the upcoming strikes( i dont) but you have to respect the rite to strike. I dont agree with unions bullying people who cross pickets, but it happens. These are just the facts of the situation.

Very easy for you to say isnt it
    :rolleyes:
    she has to work with those people for the resst of her life! U really need to come out of the fog if you want to have a genuine debate. Because anyone who advocates passing a picket of their fellow workers....wouldnt want to go to battle with cowards like you on my side
    I'm no coward & I don't appricate the personal dig. I've crossed pickets before. I've no problem standing up for what I believe.

Cowards are people who do the opposite; cowards are poeple who are afraid to stand up for their convictions.

So Liam, I provided 3 options. You only answered one. So she has two options - don't attend the strike, or cross the picket.

OMD wrote: »
    I have no problem with union members who voted no still going on strike.
    For the record, neither do I.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

seclachi wrote: »
    Never mind a days pay cut, they should be out on there ear for the ruin that they will eventually bring on the PS and the country itself.

And yes, taking 7% off somebody on such a low salary is a joke, I guess the upperband people making the calls feel is fair to "share" the pain.
    Why is it a joke? If it's more than our competitor countries are paying for such a position then it's no joke.

We all seem to forget how quickly all our salaries shot up in Ireland for no increase in productivity. I started full time work in 1998 on exactly £12,000 as a new qualified engineer with a US multinational. It seemed like good money at the time and it was. It was one of the main reasons we received inward investment-low cost of labour. The private sector is now rapidly adjusting through pay cuts and redundancies, often with he complete closure of the firm. My 1998 starting salary would be below our minimum wage today, even though I was delighted with it!

We totally lost the run of ourselves and there's simply no getting around it. Ireland did not deliver good value for money for the increased pay over the last 10 years and now we have stark decisions to make. Either blindly march on and hope foreign companies don't leave (silly) or face up to the fact and reduce pay. The public sector pay bill must be tackled too. Those who bought property recently will feel it the worst but there is nothing we can do.

• Advertisement

I'm no coward & I don't appricate the personal dig. I've crossed pickets before. I've no problem standing up for what I believe.

Cowards are people who do the opposite; cowards are poeple who are afraid to stand up for their convictions.

So Liam, I provided 3 options. You only answered one. So she has two options - don't attend the strike, or cross the picket.

I straight up 100% do not believe you. And if I am wrong, and you have crossed pickets of your colleagues and think that makes you "morally strong" then I have even less respect for you than I already had.

I straight up 100% do not believe you.
    Of course you don't - it doesn't suit your argument.
    I however, as a private sector worker, have never been a member of a union. And I've crossed pickets.
    And if I am wrong, and you have crossed pickets of your colleagues and think that makes you "morally strong" then I have even less respect for you than I already had.
    For one, noone mentioned morals. Secondly, I said that "cowards are poeple who are afraid to stand up for their convictions" & "I'm not a coward".

Do you have difficulty understanding my posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

There is no way that people on 26,5k should be taking a 7.5% cut in their pay

Sick of hearing of these lowish headline salary numbers for public service employees.
    1. €26.5k is not low by a lot of private sector salaries. Try working in facory floors, fast food places, hotels, resturaunts, pubs, shops, department stores, agriculture, cleaning, talk centres etc,etc, That's over half the country.

2. €26.5k is basic plus all those benefits, allowances, pension entitlements, secure job, etc, etc.

Shut up or get a real job in the private sector trenches.

murphaph wrote: »
    Why is it a joke? If it's more than our competitor countries are paying for such a position then it's no joke.

We all seem to forget how quickly all our salaries shot up in Ireland for no increase in productivity. I started full time work in 1998 on exactly £12,000 as a new qualified engineer with a US multinational. It seemed like good money at the time and it was. It was one of the main reasons we received inward investment-low cost of labour. The private sector is now rapidly adjusting through pay cuts and redundancies, often with he complete closure of the firm. My 1998 starting salary would be below our minimum wage today, even though I was delighted with it!

We totally lost the run of ourselves and there's simply no getting around it. Ireland did not deliver good value for money for the increased pay over the last 10 years and now we have stark decisions to make. Either blindly march on and hope foreign companies don't leave (silly) or face up to the fact and reduce pay. The public sector pay bill must be tackled too. Those who bought property recently will feel it the worst but there is nothing we can do.

Fair enough, but after 11 years there is going to be a fair increase from inflation in any country. 26.5k is not much given the qualification I have heard.

My point is, there are plenty more people in the PS who are getting paid far more for less, Im sure I read about how anpost just send redundant managers to an empty office to work and paid them the same crazy salary. How does that make sense ? If all that BS is sorted and the payroll is still too high, only then I would advocate pay cuts for people on less than 30k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

OP, your wife is in the union so she follows the instructions that she and her fellow members (I can't say comrades :D) voted for.
    Officials only proposed a strike, the members voted for it
    If the ballot voted not to strike you wouldn't expect to see your teammates out on unofficial strikes.

If she does cross the picket she'll be expelled from the union.
    If she doesn't want anything to do with the union then resign now

Thanks for answering my question mikemac.

mikemac wrote: »
    OP, your wife is in the union so she follows the instructions that she and her fellow members (I can't say comrades :D) voted for.
    Officials only proposed a strike, the members voted for it
    If the ballot voted not to strike you wouldn't expect to see your teammates out on unofficial strikes.

If she does cross the picket she'll be expelled from the union.
    If she doesn't want anything to do with the union then resign now

And cross her workmates picket is it Mike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

No matter what she voted for her fellow members wanted this strike and now they have it.
    As long she is a union member I think she should respect the decision.

If she wants to leave the union that's her choice. And she can decide what to do next time but not on the 24th as she was balloted for that.
    And then will be a next time in the next few months I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Look I think the PS is a disgrace, but I do not want to see people on less than 30k a year take a cut, the cuts should come from the biggest pisstakers / waster in there and they are not the ones who are earning 25 - 30k!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I can't speak for all public sector but I get 27% shift allowance for working a 24 hour/7 day roster. In previous private sector jobs, I was on 36% and 33%.

Advertisement